X-175 (1977 & 1978) neck construction question

hearth_man

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hello All,

Is anyone familiar with the neck construction of the X-175, specifically the 1977 and 1978 models?

Typically the X-175 has had a three piece neck, mahogany/maple strip/mahogany, through the years (around 1976 they went to maple/mahogany/maple according to Hans, so I would think that is correct). But for two years in 1977 and 1978 Guild used a five piece construction, maple/?/maple/?/maple (similar to the X-500 which used walnut but in different proportions). With either walnut or mahogany strips between. My question is which wood is used for the two darker strips, walnut or mahogany?

Thanks

hearth_man

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks Hans.

Just out of curiosity do you have any idea why Guild changed the neck construction for just those two years and then went back to the three piece maple/mahogany/maple construction? The other strange thing is that the veneer strips are spaced farther apart with a larger maple center section than on the typical five piece Guild necks I've seen.

Thanks again,

Dave

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity do you have any idea why Guild changed the neck construction for just those two years and then went back to the three piece maple/mahogany/maple construction?

Just like any other manufacturer of musical instruments Guild would look at what the competition was doing, trying to improve the product and also trying to find ways to make better use of the available wood stock.
The 3-pc. maple plus 2 pieces of mahogany veneer construction had been used by the Gibson company on their high-end electric archtops like the L-5CES and the Super 400 CES.
Guild simply tried to see if that particular neck construction would work for them and after some time they decided that from a manufacturing standpoint it was easier to stick with the 3-pc. neck construction.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

hearth_man

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for your industry insight Hans.

That would certainly make sense for any product manufacturer. I look at the changes in existing guitars as well as the new models Guild made over the years and wonder if they are imitating or innovating. It is most likely some of both. This one sounds like it was more of a case of imitation, not that is a bad thing.

Dave