New Bass Player

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new to the community, and my name's Loogan. I'd be really appreciative of some pointers if you don't mind. I've got a 1987 blue guild pilot and I'd kinda like to learn more about it if anyone has some good info. Thanks!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

The late Bruce Bowden(?) wrote a history of Pilots. It's pretty good. I'll try and find a PDF and post unless someone else beats me to it.

We'd love to see pictures (upload elsewhere and link to them here). In the meantime check out this thread http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197469-Guild-Pilot for some other blue Pilots.

If you're comfortable posting the serial number some folks may be able to glean some info from that.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like "Blueburst" Basses!

SB-600s.jpg

Reaction score
So I just got home and the bass pictured by Grot is very similar to the color pattern I have but it's missing the black fadeout bit. And the serial number is
BE102353

katthestar

Reaction score
I have a Pilot as well! I love how lightweight they are. They’re also still reasonably priced and sound good. Do you have any other basses?

katthestar

Reaction score
Grot, I want to play those. All of them. Also, thank you for making me look somewhat normal. The X-702’s are still my favorites. Is yours strung with flats or rounds? Mine came with DR Legends.

Reaction score
Sadly no, it's the only bass I've got. But it's still pretty good and the one pictured in the bottom left of grot's picture looks to be pretty similar. Sorry about not having any pictures but I pick it up to do so and kinda get distracted lol

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Grot, I want to play those. All of them. Also, thank you for making me look somewhat normal. The X-702’s are still my favorites. Is yours strung with flats or rounds? Mine came with DR Legends.

I've played a couple of them. He brought some to the various LMGs in New Hartford. I've made it to NJ a couple times to hear his band play and was able to visit the Museum as well as play what were out and "in rotation". We keep talking about some kind of LTG get together in the NJ area. When it finally happens we'll make sure to let you know. :)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sadly no, it's the only bass I've got. But it's still pretty good and the one pictured in the bottom left of grot's picture looks to be pretty similar. Sorry about not having any pictures but I pick it up to do so and kinda get distracted lol

No apologies necessary. If there is only one bass in the stable, there is a lot to be said for having a Pilot. If the choice is between taking pictures and playing, everyone here will forgive you for playing.

Reaction score
sorry but I tried to reply a while ago but it apparently never went through. is there anything else rather important I should now? cleaning, maintaining, etc?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome loogan. post from new members have to be approved by the moderators, so a few more posts from you and it will work fine.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
sorry but I tried to reply a while ago but it apparently never went through. is there anything else rather important I should now? cleaning, maintaining, etc?

Nothing that is specific to the Pilot comes to mind. Keep a spare battery around. Wipe the bass down with a soft lint free cloth when you are done playing, at least until you have researched cleaning products and decided whether they are worth it. Spend the money on a setup or understand how to adjust the bridge for intonation and the symptoms that suggest a truss rod adjustment. (Don't be scared. I check intonation with string changes but have only needed to adjust once or twice in decades. The only time I touched a truss rod I was doing so at the builder's instructions).

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Welcome!

Lots of friendly, very knowledgeable folks here. I've learned a lot and bet you will as well.

Enjoy!

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
Minor veer question--Where do you Pilot players find a 1/4 truss rod wrench that fits in the cavity? The easily find-able ones for me are all too long to fit.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total

Congrats on the bass - are you new to bass in general or just new to Guilds?

The only advice I can offer that may or may not be obvious is to unplug when not playing if it is an active bass - the batteries will drain if you leave it plugged in. I hate when I go to play one of my few active basses and realize I forgot to unplug it!

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Be sure to shower before gigs. Groupies expect you to be sweaty but not filthy.