GC has a New Guild OM-240CE in Inventory. -- Sign of things to come?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, clearly times are changing under CMG's ownership, Fro. Fender could not build enough USA guitars (in New Hartford, at least) to court Guitar Center as a dealer/distributor. And, in retrospect, they may have had little incentive to market the MIC Guilds through them to get the volumes up as they had other brands for that purpose. I don't know. I think CMG's perspective is radically different than Fender's and I'm (somewhat) excited to see this development.
The other possibility is that GC drastically revised its "minimum delivery" requirements.
Given their financial woes over the last couple of years that seems likely, and maybe a "good thing".

Wal-Mart though? Seriously? Maybe this is better for CMG than, say, getting rid of discontinued product through MIRC, though honestly the price is so low I'm not sure how this is going to be helpful.
America's single biggest retailer, right?
With an online capability to compete with Amazon.
And storefronts too.
In places that don't have a real local music store anymore....

On the other side, sometimes a loss leader is a great boost for brand recognition. Does Guild need that? In any case, it's hard to imagine that being a long-term direction for CMG. On the super PLUS side, this beats the $hit out of some First Act crap that folks might buy otherwise. I hope some young, starving musicians get their hands on these.
Remember when drugstores had all kinds of cheapie product when we were kids, and some of that Japanese stuff was actually pretty decent quality?
I see it as modern take on that model.
Suspect they're not truly "loss leaders", but it's possible.
Suspect Walmart got a good volume price and wants to turn 'em as quick as possible, that's how the money's really made.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
this is just a great quote for anything i might say these days.
especially, waffles.
CS693858-01B-BIG.jpg

Knowing Frono, he gets his waffles at St. Alfonzo's:

HL_DDS_985064q80LW40Qd.png

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other possibility is that GC drastically revised its "minimum delivery" requirements.
Given their financial woes over the last couple of years that seems likely, and maybe a "good thing".
I agree that's a likely possibility, Al. Regardless of how it's happening, CMG is definitely looking at Guild in a different light than Fender did (I mean post-Westerly, that is). It may be a good thing, but it's also risky. Ultimately, more boutique-y shops might not like this if they're competing with GC.

America's single biggest retailer, right?
With an online capability to compete with Amazon.
And storefronts too.
In places that don't have a real local music store anymore....
Agreed, but Wal-Mart squeezes suppliers like nobody's business. It's hard to see *any* musical instrument maker providing good products under those conditions. Hence, the First Act garbage.

Remember when drugstores had all kinds of cheapie product when we were kids, and some of that Japanese stuff was actually pretty decent quality?
I see it as modern take on that model.
Suspect they're not truly "loss leaders", but it's possible.
Suspect Walmart got a good volume price and wants to turn 'em as quick as possible, that's how the money's really made.
Hmm... Not sure I get you on this one. What Wal-Mart does is drive the suppliers practically past the point of no-profit, and then they swoop in and provide a store brand before dropping the original supplier. They have the hubris to think they can provide the same product. Well, maybe they can do that with light bulbs and cat litter, but ... again.... First Act. Say no more. :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

In the New Hartford days my local dealer was frustrated because he had to deal with a different part of FMIC for each brand and stocking minimums were by brand, not global.

It is possible that GC only has to deal with one person at CMG and is willing to credit all CMG products (Cordoba, Guild USA, Guild MIC) towards one minimum requirement.

The Times Square store as a flagship may have cut a deal that did not involve GC corporate.

Perhaps, as manufacturers demand more cash up front, GC lowered its minimums to ease cash flow issues.

St. Alphonso just brought me my waffles. Gotta go.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Times Square store as a flagship may have cut a deal that did not involve GC corporate.
Perhaps, as manufacturers demand more cash up front, GC lowered its minimums to ease cash flow issues.
Both of those ideas occurred to me too.

St. Alphonso just brought me my waffles. Gotta go.
waffle-pants-490x653.jpg

Before you spread the margarine,
Just make sure you know where they've been.

PittPastor

Reaction score
It's hard to follow adorshki's last post, but...

Finally got to GC (Monroeville, PA) yesterday to play the Guild OM 240CE. Unfortunately, there was no joy in Mudville... They couldn't find it. I searched for it first. I thought that would be fun -- how long would it take me to find the Guild in the Acoustic room. Looked and looked... couldn't believe that the familiar headstock would elude me. Finally I went to the staff. And they couldn't find it either. Not in the room. Not in the computer. Not by name. Not by stock # -- even though my phone was showing one available.

They had no real explanation. So, to not completely waste my time, I asked them to unlock a couple of the high end guitars. (I usually don't because I hate to bother someone when I know I'm not going to buy it, but I'm just curious and killing time while the wife shops at Macy's next door.)

I played a new V-Brace Taylor, and I played a Gibson J-45.

In case anyone is wondering... I liked the Taylor but did not love it. I had heard a lot of good things about it. It was supposed to have an amazing sustain, and that was interesting to me. I started just fingerpicking and doing some scales, and my first thought was: "Hey, this is really not bad at all!" I think it excels at this kind of playing. It seemed to have a nice clear sound and I would even give it some credit for holding the note pretty well. I would say that the sustain was definitely above average and more than I usually hear on a Martin or a Taylor.

Then I strummed it on a song and thought:"Oh yeah, that's a Taylor all right." It just seems to my ear that the lows and highs drop out of a Taylor when I strum it. It is just sort of a middle metal punch sound. I don't know how to describe it, but I bet I could hear it blindfolded. All Taylors sound alike to me when I strum it and I don't care for it. YMMV. Not for me.

I switched to the Gibson for three reasons: One, lets face it, Guild and Gibson have some crossed DNA. Secondly, I was curious about how the new Gibsons sound - especially compared to the Taylor I had just put down. And three, I am getting more interested in the short scale guitars these days because of continued hand issues. They haven't chased me off of my Guilds yet, but the day is coming (I think) when I might need to move into something easier to fret, and I've read I should try short scales.

So, my time with the Gibson was pretty enjoyable. It was a sunset burst with coloring an awfully like my Guild D40C, so at times looking down at it, I forgot it was a Gibson. Sounded much closer to my D40C's tone. The bass was more pronounced. But that can be strings. The strings did fret slightly easier. I wouldn't say night and day different. But, again, who knows what strings were on it, or how old they were? And it is a 24.75" scale, so not like it is a short short scale.

But over all, if I had to choose one of them, I would take the Gibson over the $500 more expensive Taylor any day.

And my experience with the shorter scale has me thinking maybe I should start playing more of these to see if there is one out there that can eventually take the place of my beloved D40C.

As I was finishing up, the GC clerk came in and told me they had the stock # wrong and the Guild 240 was there. But it must still be in the box in the back. I had to go, but I'm pretty sure that the next time I am at the store the Guild will be in the showroom. At least that gives it a fighting chance of finding an owner! Made to be played. Not made to be left in a box in the back.

Makes me think I should go to the Pittsburgh Guitar Center now, and see if they have their Guild out of the box.

If they don't sell them, they probably won't start stocking them. And if they leave them in the back, I don't see how they'll sell them. So, I'm on a mission now...

PittPastor

Reaction score
J45s rock!

I liked it. Makes me wonder what a vintage J45 sounds like.

Funny thing, the GC clerk unlocked the guitars for me, and while I tuned the Taylor, he quickly ran through the Gibson, to check and tweak the tune. I asked him: "Do you play acoustic guitar much?" He said, "No, I play a little of everything. But not acoustic as much as I would like. Mostly electric. And lately I've been learning piano." Right then he finished his tuning and strummed the J45 to check it. It had this real full sound. And he looked at it and said: "Damn, that sounds good." He was genuinely surprised. Guess they don't unlock the good stuff and play it much...

PittPastor

Reaction score
Stopped by the GC again. The Guild OM-240 was out and on display so I got a chance to play it. For $450, I don't think I saw anything else close. Really not a bad little guitar. Tuners felt a bit cheap. The fret edges weren't as smooth as I like. But the sound was really good. Clear when finger picking, but it held its tone when I strummed it pretty hard. I could see it being a great "take out anywhere and play" kind of guitar. Built in electronics, so its plug and play. The neck felt more like my D40C, so I would prefer it over the MIM I have. I'm not a huge fan of the satin finish though. I know its the thing now, but -- call me crazy -- I prefer the high gloss.

The cool thing is they had another Guild there. Wow! two in one store. It's like a unicorn sighting.

This was a 1990-something Guild True American DC-1E HG. Used for $499. Anyone have any thought on that for a price? Looked in pretty good shape. There were some slight marks near the headboard. Almost like someone left a capo on it for a long time. More like indentations. Not very noticeable. Other than that it looked good.

They just brought it in on trade and didn't change the strings. I think they have silk and steel strings on them. It frets really easily. But its losing tone because of the strings. The OM-240 had a fuller sound and I think that's the strings. But not sure.

Anyway, I don't know much about the True American line. Its Made in America, but I guess it was a lower end line that was set to compete with Martin's road series. But that's about all I know. Anyone have one? Anyone know what the neck radius is? It felt the same as my D40C but I'm not sure. Action seemed a little high too... the poor thing could use a setup and a good set of strings I think. But it looked great, and the archback gives it some punch.

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I recently moved up to MT. We have no GC here, but we do have Music Villa in Bozeman, which does a lot of gear reviews on YouTube. They started carrying Guild again, and I was able to finally play a host of new USA and import Guilds. The price is great on the 200 series guitars, but the finish and feel wasn't the greatest - not up to par with the 100 series or the former GAD models. What I used to love about Guild imports was how great the quality felt in comparison to other imports. It left me looking at used GAD models, which fall in about the same price range as the new 200 series. The only exception was that I liked the little Jumbo Junior. Maybe it was the novelty.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I recently moved up to MT. We have no GC here, but we do have Music Villa in Bozeman, which does a lot of gear reviews on YouTube. They started carrying Guild again, and I was able to finally play a host of new USA and import Guilds. The price is great on the 200 series guitars, but the finish and feel wasn't the greatest - not up to par with the 100 series or the former GAD models.

Well, the only data point I have is my Savoy. The fit and finish on that is amazing, I have to say. And I agree with your assessment of the 240. The sound is nice, though. Better than almost any other $400 guitar I played there. Though I confess I didn't play them all! It even held its own, IMHO, with the $750 guitars in the "special room", just from a sound perspective. It couldn't hang with the $1000+ Martins, Taylors and Gibsons, of course. But I thought it did pretty good AB'd against the $700-$800 guitars off of the wall there. And some of the fit and finish on the Martins in that price range is really awful.

As for GADs, I don't have many things to choose from here that I can actually play though, is my problem.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Tuners felt a bit cheap. The fret edges weren't as smooth as I like.
Those are the 2 most common "faults" I hear cited about the MIC product in general, going all the back to a GAD F30 acquired by a member who had an original mid-60's F30 and loved 'em to death, name escapes me at the moment. He actually replaced the tuners "IIRC", but otherwise it gave it good reviews overall.
He did intend to use the GAD as a performing tool though, he liked the sound well enough for that, not wanting to risk his vintage F30.

This was a 1990-something Guild True American DC-1E HG. Used for $499. Anyone have any thought on that for a price? Looked in pretty good shape. There were some slight marks near the headboard. Almost like someone left a capo on it for a long time. More like indentations. Not very noticeable. Other than that it looked good.
Assuming good "mechanical" condition, I think that's a very good price for one of those.
It frets really easily. But its losing tone because of the strings. The OM-240 had a fuller sound and I think that's the strings. But not sure.
Anyway, I don't know much about the True American line. Its Made in America, but I guess it was a lower end line that was set to compete with Martin's road series. But that's about all I know. Anyone have one? Anyone know what the neck radius is? It felt the same as my D40C but I'm not sure. Action seemed a little high too... the poor thing could use a setup and a good set of strings I think. But it looked great, and the archback gives it some punch.
The "True American" series was introduced ca '94 and was really nothing more than a "Badge" (the Truss Rod Cover) and marketing campaign to bring attention to the existence of Guild's new DreadnoughtCutaway Electrics when the high quality Japanese imports like Takamine were starting grab significant market share.
The "badge" was originally used on the first 2 "DCE" models (1 & 5), they were built to regular production specs, not a "lower end" line, and were basically cutaway electric versions of the D4 (the DCE-1/DC-1E, same thing), but the DCE-5 was unique in having a rosewood arched back , a very very rare build formula for any Guild body.
So not really a ce version of a D50 as one might be tempted to assume.
The DCE-3 came along late in the game as a ce version of a D30.
Anyway, by '96 they were putting those True American TRC's on D25s (mine has one) and D4s and I even recall one on an F-body, F4ce I think it was?
I think they had a whole bunch of 'em and juts wanted to start using 'em up. Don't recall ever seeing one on anything higher than the DCE3, though.
Neck radius was probably 12" but I've only seen that formally announced as the standard in the first Guild Gallery of winter (late) '97.
Tone? Only one I can remember hearing dissatisfaction with was the DCE5, less than satisfying acoustically but great plugged in, as we've heard about other early a/e models.
Kind of surprising, but for comparison I recall another owner reporting complete satisfaction, genuine love in fact.
The "5" also had laminated sides, and suspect it might have had other build details (bracing?) designed to repress feedback when plugged in ( Definite risk with rosewood, compounded by the arch), which could easily be affecting unplugged sound.
Maybe that D4 had similar build details?
High action? If still 'as shipped', Guild's standard of the time, 6/64 on bass E, feels high to a lot of people, but of course, always easier to take it down than raise it, right?
Easy to play?
It could be the strings, but it would have shipped with L350 pb lights, not silk'n'steel.
"Made To Be Played" might be a big part of it too:
When I was shopping my D25, I actually had opportunity to compare it side by side with a DCE-1.
Even though I really, really wanted that cutaway electric capacity, the neck on the D25 was better enough that it tipped the scales. Best neck I'd ever felt up to that time.
So it went home with me.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Assuming good "mechanical" condition, I think that's a very good price for one of those.

The "True American" series was introduced ca '94 and was really nothing more than a "Badge" (the Truss Rod Cover) and marketing campaign to bring attention to the existence of Guild's new DreadnoughtCutaway Electrics when the high quality Japanese imports like Takamine were starting grab significant market share.

Well, at least it tells you how the truss rod cover should go on...

PittPastor

Reaction score
Update: Both of the new Guild OM-240CEs in inventory here -- one was in the Pittsburgh GC and one was in the Monroeville GC -- are now sold.

IDK what the average shelf life is for a guitar in GC, but that seemed reasonably quick to me. It's hard to compare because there are some Taylor and Martins that seem to have been there longer, but they probably have several of those models in the back and just keep restocking them.

But, it was kind of cool to watch the Guilds come and go in a couple of weeks.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

Finally got a round tuit and made quick video of OM-240CE - recorded with iPhone - no processing whatsoever except for cropping beginning and end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mr611qeozg

<br>

I'm doing my own short version of Joni Mitchell's Morning Morgantown.