NGD! 2011 F-30CE Natural

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Update: I've been playing this guitar for almost two weeks - about 15 hours of playing. I have not had any shoulder discomfort - the guitar definitely fits better into my relatively decrepit body. I am finding it very comfortable to play - which was my main reason for guitar shopping for a smaller body guitar.

Clearly less bottom end than the D64, but surprisingly close - I did not expect the guitar to sound as voluminous as it does. I'm assuming it will continue to "open up" as I play it.

I play mostly standing, and I am fond of walking around the room a bit - got my first ding on the bottom of the guitar already - a small one, but there - stupid! Looking at my D64, I'm sure there will more - I know I need to be more careful, but let's call it "mojo"...

One weird thing is that if I happen to see a reflection of myself in the window, or a picture frame or something, sometimes I stop and look, and then I have to look at the top of the guitar. The spruce top on this thing is really beautiful - all sorts of "silking" designs going on everywhere. I was not really expecting this distraction, but I like it.

Apparently, this guitar is a keeper.

walrus

Wow congrats , yeah don’t count out the orchestra models they crank up and hold there own .

I wish the burst I checked out GC a while back sounded like you discribe yours .

I know F30s sound fantastic to .

Enjoy ! 🙂

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I play mostly standing, and I am fond of walking around the room a bit - got my first ding on the bottom of the guitar already - a small one, but there - stupid! Looking at my D64, I'm sure there will more - I know I need to be more careful, but let's call it "mojo"...
Ok I have a confession.
The real reason I sit while playing is because, being blonde, I can't walk and play guitar at the same time.
It's a curse. Be proud of your capabilities.
But be careful.
And that first one's always the hardest, isn't it?
Ask any first-time newlywed.
One weird thing is that if I happen to see a reflection of myself in the window, or a picture frame or something, sometimes I stop and look, and then I have to look at the top of the guitar. The spruce top on this thing is really beautiful - all sorts of "silking" designs going on everywhere. I was not really expecting this distraction, but I like it.
I think you got "silk-blind" to your D64 over the years, I bet if you went and really looked again you'd see it.
In fact it gets more and more visible as a top ambers up, gives more contrast.
Recently I keep getting surprised every time I open up the case of the D25 after playing the one of the other 2, because it's so dark now in comparison.
You'd swear it was actually an Amber finish, it's what that looks like in the photos I've seen.
Apparently, this guitar is a keeper.
walrus
I remember why I forgot about this thread, I kind of blocked it out until a final decision was reached.
Congrats!
So happy for you!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, Al! Yes, my D64 is pretty much "amber" now, but it does not have the silking of the F-30. The F-30 top almost looks like quilted maple, really noticeable and you get a different look in different lighting.

But it's made to be played not looked at, so that's what I'm mostly doing!

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Today I took some better photos of the "silking" on the top in the sunlight. Then I played this guitar for 4 hours...

JJPAKanl.jpg
[/IMG]

DkbiFN1l.jpg
[/IMG]

bjlrQ6kl.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi9sYjhl.jpg
[/IMG]

16mVM6Sl.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Today I took some better photos of the "silking" on the top in the sunlight. Then I played this guitar for 4 hours...

JJPAKanl.jpg
[/IMG]

DkbiFN1l.jpg
[/IMG]

bjlrQ6kl.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi9sYjhl.jpg
[/IMG]

16mVM6Sl.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

Yeah that’s a dang nice the top the type of top that calls to me , it says Raaasay play me plaaaaay me ! 😁

Last edited:

docfishr

Reaction score
Gorgeous Top! And having several F-30's I can attest to how much they "open up". So keep on playing and enjoy.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gorgeous Top! And having several F-30's I can attest to how much they "open up". So keep on playing and enjoy.

Yep. I’ve noticed that with my F30. I’ve been drumming it Richie Havens hard every day for about a week and the sound is already noticeably better.