Incoming NGD: ‘90 D30

naveed211

Reaction score
Incoming NGD: ‘90 D30

https://reverb.com/item/11465084-guild-d-30-natural-1990-s139

I was waffling back and forth on this one, but I just found out our utility bills are going to be considerably cheaper at the house we just bought, so I pulled the trigger.

Huge Guild fan, I’ve owned four acoustics and two electrics over the years. This one should be a cannon. And that flame! I’m excited.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Wonderful, flamey neck for sure. "It Don't Git No Gooder" than a nicely flamed Guild Dread or Jumbo Maple. Congrats!!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/11465084-guild-d-30-natural-1990-s139

I was waffling back and forth on this one, but I just found out our utility bills are going to be considerably cheaper at the house we just bought, so I pulled the trigger.
OK< that's a new one!
:biggrin-new:
Huge Guild fan, I’ve owned four acoustics and two electrics over the years. This one should be a cannon. And that flame! I’m excited.
Even if it ain't as much of a cannon as you're expecting, it's just about guaranteed to be a sustain monster.
Like, for days.....you'll have to shut it off yourself.
Confirmed by many owners here.
:friendly_wink:

naveed211

Reaction score
OK< that's a new one!
:biggrin-new:

Even if it ain't as much of a cannon as you're expecting, it's just about guaranteed to be a sustain monster.
Like, for days.....you'll have to shut it off yourself.
Confirmed by many owners here.
:friendly_wink:

I do love me some sustain.

I’m a little worried it won’t be the best for fingerpicking. Typically I’ve found I prefer hog back and sides for that, but I’d say I’m 66/34 percent in favor of using a pick.

It’s also my first dread in a while. I previously had a JF30, JF55 and a DCE5. I probably liked the JF30 best overall so far for acoustics.

PittPastor

Reaction score
That is one good looking guitar there. Reminds me a lot of the first Guild I ever saw (that instantly made me a fan -- even though I didn't have a good idea as to why!)

I prefer fingerpicking. And as far as I'm concerned sustain makes the fingerpick.

Looking forward to your "review" when it comes in. Congrats!

PS: I'm going to have to remember that reasoning... I can see it now: "Hey, honey, look our electric bill is down considerably from last year. So that means I need to order that Artist Award Guild now..."

Last edited:

naveed211

Reaction score
Looks to be in great shape! Congrats! From my experience, CME is a great outfit to do business with.

Definitely, I bought my JF30 from them years ago. They usually have a pretty good selection of Guilds, and their staff is great, too.

naveed211

Reaction score
That is one good looking guitar there. Reminds me a lot of the first Guild I ever saw (that instantly made me a fan -- even though I didn't have a good idea as to why!)

I prefer fingerpicking. And as far ads I'm concerned sustain makes the fingerpick.

Looking forward to your "review" when it comes in. Congrats!

PS: I'm going to have to remember that reasoning... I can see it now: "Hey, honey, look our electric bill is down considerably from last year. So that means I need to order that Artist Award Guild now..."

Haha, well, my wife’s been pretty cool about all the gear purchases over the years. I think she rolls her eyes more that I’ve been through so many.

The kid goes to private school, we’ve got a roof over our heads, food is on the table, and the retirement fund is getting funded, so we should be good with another Guild!

Review to come for sure.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Very nice! Congratulations! :encouragement:

I don't think that I've ever played a maple dreadnought. I look forward the hearing your impression of the tone.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Naveed:
I played one when I bought my JF65 and it was beatiful both to look at, to play, and to listen to. I had my mind made up to get the JF65 and have since, several times, thought of buying the D30. You will not be disappointed. Congratulations on a great guitar.

naveed211

Reaction score
Naveed:
I played one when I bought my JF65 and it was beatiful both to look at, to play, and to listen to. I had my mind made up to get the JF65 and have since, several times, thought of buying the D30. You will not be disappointed. Congratulations on a great guitar.

Awesome! Thanks for that. I used to be all about the jumbos, but have since rediscovered dreads. I’m sure it’ll rule.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Naveed! Looking forward to a review!

D30s are great, and the one you nabbed looks beautiful!
Was just strumming one of mine a few minutes ago, this
is my 3rd. Neck angle, action, playability, versatility, tonal dynamics excellent on all.
Pic of the back of the last one I had, a 2000. The '97 I have now isn't
as nice cosmetically, but what a player!

sW0wqq.jpg

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score

is my 3rd. Neck angle, action, playability, versatility, tonal dynamics excellent on all.

sW0wqq.jpg
Bonneville: You are not making it any easier for me showing that D30. The seller of my JF65 still has a matching D30 and I dare not call him.

naveed211

Reaction score

sW0wqq.jpg

Gorgeous! It’s been a few years since I had my JF30, but really there aren’t many guitars prettier than a maple backed Guild with some flame.

Super fast shipping from CME, I should be getting the D30 today!

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Naveed... excited for you. Looked at the ad pics again - that D30 looks mint!

Stu - I predict a D30 might find its way to you eventually :wink:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Naveed... excited for you. Looked at the ad pics again - that D30 looks mint!

Stu - I predict a D30 might find its way to you eventually :wink:
First, I would have to part with my JF65 and not ready to do that--need one maple, only.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Congrats Naveed. That's a beauty of a D30. I got a '98 D30 AB two years ago and it is very well balanced and has a great, warm tone. Great for strumming, not so much for finger picking. I love the antique burst finish on mine. For me, I think the natural D30 is a little too "vanilla" in the looks department, but that's just my own opinion! I've also noticed that the depth of the D30 is about an eighth of an inch deeper than my other dreads. Anyone else notice that as well?
cheers,
Tony

'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D25 12
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414 ce

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Will need to check out the depth, never noticed that.

D30s were offered in some interesting colors - couple of different hot bursts,
orange, black, dark brown, dark red, even blue.

Would be cool to see a wall of all those together!

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Will need to check out the depth, never noticed that.

D30s were offered in some interesting colors - couple of different hot bursts,
orange, black, dark brown, dark red, even blue.

Would be cool to see a wall of all those together!

The depth of the D30 body is noticeably deeper than my D40 and D50. For some reason, my D40 has the slimmest depth of all my guitars. It is so comfortable to play but has a great, huge sound. My D30 is one BIG dread!