Guitar measurements

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
One of my many retired hobbies is metal working which requires very accurate measurements (with work having to be within a plus or minus 2 thousandths of specified drawing).
My questions are:
1. Are measurements outside to outside
2. Inside to inside
3. Inside to outside
4. Or depends on what part of guitar you are measuring
Thought I might do some measuring just wanted to be sure I am comparing oranges to oranges.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Stuball I'm about 99% positive it's answer #4, but it occurred tome the question might get better visibility in "tech shop" and also that somebody like Acornhouse who's a builder himself would be able to give some definitive insight.
(Hope I ain't throwin ya under the bus, Chris!)
Example: Body size dimensions are normally given as outside dimensions but I'll bet things get "complicated" when spec'ing something like the routing for a dovetail or binding.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you’re talking about finished guitar measurements, then they’re all going to be outside to outside. Even in the construction phase, that’s pretty much the norm.

However, if you’re looking at finished guitar spec measurements, don’t expect the accuracy you’re used to. Probably only go down to 1/8”, if that, unless you’re talking about nut width.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you’re talking about finished guitar measurements, then they’re all going to be outside to outside. Even in the construction phase, that’s pretty much the norm.

However, if you’re looking at finished guitar spec measurements, don’t expect the accuracy you’re used to. Probably only go down to 1/8”, if that, unless you’re talking about nut width.
Al:
Thanks for steering me in the right direction and AcornHouse for your "building experience" answer. Will get out my rule and measure outside to outside.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd also add that it depends on what you're measuring. Posts? center to center, for example.

I'm feeling very contrary today.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'd also add that it depends on what you're measuring. Posts? center to center, for example.

You get all the "slack" you want --from a fellow D46 owner!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The way I set bridge height on guitars with TOM(-style) hardware means measuring the low E string above the last fret but the high E above the next-to-last one. No difference at all in feel or playability compared to making both measurements at the same fret, but the precision nerd in me still gets irritated by it. :)

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

You get all the "slack" you want --from a fellow D46 owner!

Yeah same here and I only have a D40.
But now that you mention it nut slots and bridge pin spacing would also be measured c-to-c including the "string spacing at bridge" spec, normally given as a total width, ie, total length
from c-to-c of outside pin holes.
That can actually have a surprising effect on "feel" of 1-3/4" nuts, btw.

Last edited: