NGD - ‘58 A-350 Stratford

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chris, that is such a beauty! It defies logic that it is in such great condition being that old. What a great score!

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris, that is such a beauty! It defies logic that it is in such great condition being that old. What a great score!

walrus
Looks like a closet Queen. Or just been held by collector’s.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Put it on the scale today. It comes in at a comfy 6 lbs, 4 oz. Nut width is a hair over 1-5/8” with a solid, but not overly beefy C shaped neck.

X-170AB

Reaction score
A little late to the party, but wanted to say "CONGRATULATIONS" - what a terrific looking Guild archtop!

I bet it sounds terrific. In this age, Guild archtops still had the Epiphone DNA, and Epiphone knew how to carve tops and make great-sounding jazz guitars.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this one. '58 is a birth year for me, but it seems that there's a lot more '59s out there. '58 was a recession year, so that might have something to do with it.
Mine is 1946....don't think I'm goin' find a Guild for my birth year. I can live with that.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd go ahead and get that heel cap off of there -- that stuff can cause all kinds of ancillary damage once it starts to go like that.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Chris,
I'm confused over the various configurations of the A-350. Yours doesn't have a pickup. However, all of the one's I've been able to raise on the internet appear to be electrified in various arrangements. Please enlighten me.
Thanks,
Rich

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris,
I'm confused over the various configurations of the A-350. Yours doesn't have a pickup. However, all of the one's I've been able to raise on the internet appear to be electrified in various arrangements. Please enlighten me.
Thanks,
Rich
The A-350 came standard without a pickup, like the A-500. The Artist Award came standard with a Dearmond Rhythm Chief (-ish). But, the Dearmond was an option for the A-350 and 500. Also, some people may have added other floating pups.
I'm keeping mine stock; no way I can drill any holes in it.

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just seeing the pics now, Chris. That's a gorgeous Guild! I love the look of those Kolb tuners too.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got a set of Newtone Archtop 12s on. It really brightened up the low end. 80/20s are more traditional for acoustic archies, but I think these are a good balance between bright and smooth. They are double wound for less string noise. I noticed Benedetto is spec’ing pure nickel strings on their acoustic archies.