Strings for Savoy -- What are you using?

PittPastor

Reaction score
I've bounced around to a bunch of different strings on the Savoy, and can't say I've found the one that made me shout Yahtzee yet.

I started with the flatwounds that came on it, which I am pretty sure were the D’Addario ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound, Light that come with it. I mean, the bridge protective paper was still on this guitar, so I'm guessing it was never really played. That would make them basically unplayed, but three years old.

Weird thing happened when I played it for awhile. I developed flat callouses. If that's a thing. My fret hand's callouses got flat and squareish. I'm not kidding. Like I had a small square eraser under my skin. That's an extreme description, but I could feel edges on my callous. Which was odd, but fine -- unless I fretted the chord a little diagonal from the callous edge, and then it would really hurt. Like a string was cutting into me hurt. If I hit the callous on the flat part, it was like I felt nothing at all. Come a little bit on an angle, and wow! I don't know how to describe it -- but it hurt.

I took it to have Stuart Day do a setup, and when he asked me what to put on it, I said to put regular bronze phosphor strings on it. I played that for awhile. Sounds was actually better acoustic. Plugged in, I couldn't say because I didn't play the flat wounds very much. My callouses went to normal shape. It was a lot like playing my dred. But, I was getting the squeak when sliding. And because of the radius difference, it seems harder to do things like bends.

I switched them out recently for a new set of Elixr -- still rounds. Pretty much the same thing. Squeak is a little better. But still takes quite a bit to get a good bend.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the flat wounds? Maybe a newer set would give a better experience.

What are you all playing on it? (Or anything like it.) Anyone ever go Silk and Steel on a Jazz archtop?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you're going to be playing is mostly acoustic, then 80/20 bronze is pretty standard for an acoustic archtop. Martin SP 80/20 gets mentioned alot. If you think you'll be doing some playing plugged in, then a pure nickel roundwound is good. One set that seems to be getting some good reviews is Newtone's Archtop set. They are double wound to try to minimize string noise. I haven't tried them, yet, but I plan to.

PittPastor

Reaction score
If you're going to be playing is mostly acoustic, then 80/20 bronze is pretty standard for an acoustic archtop. Martin SP 80/20 gets mentioned alot. If you think you'll be doing some playing plugged in, then a pure nickel roundwound is good. One set that seems to be getting some good reviews is Newtone's Archtop set. They are double wound to try to minimize string noise. I haven't tried them, yet, but I plan to.

Thanks, I'll look into the Newtones. I play acoustic when I'm home, but I'm always buying based on plugged in sound. That's what the Savoy is really used for here, when I am in the group with the other guitars. So, I'll definitely check the Newtones! How about doing things like string bends? I'm having trouble getting good motion because everything seems a little cramped on the Savoy neck.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about doing things like string bends? I'm having trouble getting good motion because everything seems a little cramped on the Savoy neck.
Not much I can do about the neck size. (Finger size, maybe. :devilish:) With Jazz, less is more, when it comes to bending.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I don't do much string bending regardless (quick quarter-tone wiggles, yes, but hardly any bluesy stuff) but when I play my jazzier guitars, including my Jazzmaster (!), I'm all about the gliss. :)

-Dave-

martin82

Reaction score
Try D’addario half rounds. Very little if any squeak and a little brighter than flat rounds. I use them on most of my electrics. I have a Savoy and just ordered a set for it.

martin82

Reaction score
I ordered 12s (EHR350). I have 12s on it now - ECG25 flats. I also changed out the wooden bridge for a chrome one, which added more versatility.

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
I ordered 12s (EHR350). I have 12s on it now - ECG25 flats. I also changed out the wooden bridge for a chrome one, which added more versatility.

That's interesting. What does that do to the sound? My bridge has slight indentations in it where the strings rest. I have always wondered if I should get the notches deepened. When I am changing strings, I have to always double check the position of the string on the bridge before I really tighten them to the correct tension or the strings are out of alignment on the bridge and the gaps are off.

I'm guessing the chrome bridge has notches in it as well?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
That's interesting. What does that do to the sound? My bridge has slight indentations in it where the strings rest. I have always wondered if I should get the notches deepened. When I am changing strings, I have to always double check the position of the string on the bridge before I really tighten them to the correct tension or the strings are out of alignment on the bridge and the gaps are off.

I'm guessing the chrome bridge has notches in it as well?

So long as the notches are deep enough to keep the strings in place while you're playing, you should be fine.

The metal bridge saddle(s) will brighten up the guitar's tone a little.

-Dave-