How I almost ruined my Oxnard F55

Antney

Reaction score
Nice job Clyde. I must say the best thing that happened to my pristine D50 was a side crack from hitting a door knob and a nice gouge from dropping a harmonica on the top. After those I was able to just play the snot out of it without worry.

That gouge is like Poe’s telltale heart...can’t you hear it beating under the guard...louder each time you pick it up. I’ll tell ya, you’ll go mad just thinking about it, you’ll hear it beating as you lay in bed trying to sleep...mad I say, absolutely insane. Save yourself the suffering...I’ll take it off your hands for $200.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very elegant solution. Looks terrific. I put a big old scratch in the finish of a sunburst OM years ago. Knocked over a music stand, right onto the OM. It was like the whole thing happened in slow motion. Drop filled and coloured the scratch as best I could. Came out ok, but like yours it was never going to be invisible. Bugged the heck out of me. I wound up selling the guitar for a loss.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Nice job Clyde. I must say the best thing that happened to my pristine D50 was a side crack from hitting a door knob and a nice gouge from dropping a harmonica on the top. After those I was able to just play the snot out of it without worry.

Funny you mention that. Since my mishap, my GAS for new guitars has been, shall we say, severely curtailed... I find myself lusting over old vintage banged up guitars, with all the bruises, scratches and cracks life has dealt to them. I have one vintage guitar that fits the bill and I don't worry about it getting scuffed up. Very liberating :)

Very elegant solution. Looks terrific. I put a big old scratch in the finish of a sunburst OM years ago. Knocked over a music stand, right onto the OM. It was like the whole thing happened in slow motion. Drop filled and coloured the scratch as best I could. Came out ok, but like yours it was never going to be invisible. Bugged the heck out of me. I wound up selling the guitar for a loss.

I feel your pain. I'm curious myself, if I ever do decide to sell my F55 down the road, how potential buyers will perceive my "modification" and if it will substantially affect resale value or not. I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon so for now, I'm just gonna enjoy it as it is.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have one vintage guitar that fits the bill and I don't worry about it getting scuffed up. Very liberating :)
Yeah, it's not like I don't care if it gets any new ones, but I've adjusted to the ones on my D25 over the years.
They hurt when they happened though, having bought it new.
I feel your pain. I'm curious myself, if I ever do decide to sell my F55 down the road, how potential buyers will perceive my "modification" and if it will substantially affect resale value or not.

I don't think it'll be "substantial", especially if you give 'em full disclosure.
I think market value'll be dictated more by age and availability if and when you ever decide to sell.
Market gets a lot more forgiving about stuff like that, the scarcer "perfect" or new examples become.

bobouz

Reaction score
Excellent solution, and a job well done!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
[ . . . ] I'm curious myself, if I ever do decide to sell my F55 down the road, how potential buyers will perceive my "modification" and if it will substantially affect resale value or not. I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon so for now, I'm just gonna enjoy it as it is.
The reality here is that it'll be 30 years or more before anyone pulls that pick guard off and finds the damage. I'm trying to decide how I'd feel if I bought an old Guild and no one disclosed this. Again, the reality is that it'd likely have been through multiple hands and I wouldn't even have any idea who'd damaged it and covered it up.

Just thinking out loud here... I can't really make up my mind on whether that's anything Claude should worry about disclosing, were he, say, to sell it tomorrow. I know he's not, and I'm just wondering what people think. I suppose in some sense this is analogous to fixed damage to a car, which of course is supposed to be disclosed in a sale (and is often exposed by carfax or something because insurance money paid for it).

Antney

Reaction score
When I rescued my puppy (see avatar) I was ready to make the 3 hour drive to pick her up and my phone rang...it was the foster mom who wanted to disclose that Grace had three dots on her blaze, and wanted to know if I still wanted her. I’m still trying to figure out why she called .
Clyde if you’re still sane when and if you sell the guitar I’d disclose everything, including the paper route money you never claimed on your taxes

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Innovative and looks just fine. Count me as one of the impressed ones (or maybe it's the depressed ones, I can never quite figure that out). Anywho, nice job and good thinking.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I suppose in some sense this is analogous to fixed damage to a car, which of course is supposed to be disclosed in a sale
At best I think that might vary by state and then only by a dealer, because it's possible for damage to be repaired by, say, owner #1, unknown to owner #2, the current seller.
(and is often exposed by carfax or something because insurance money paid for it).

Actually that's one of the "services" Carfax sells, the results of their database search for previous reported major repairs.
If disclosure was a legal requirement they wouldn't have anything to sell.
Which also makes me realize that perhaps the background search just for damage repair is so cumbersome that's why it's not a legal requirement here in CA, for example.
I think you may be thinking of "Salvage Title" which I think does need to be disclosed by a dealer (memory's foggy on that), because they can't be insured again, having already been written off once.
But here in CA even a private party can for sure sell a salvage title vehicle without formally bringing the buyer's attention to it.
It'll show on the pink slip but in private party sale, previous damage and title status are all up to the buyer to "discover": total "Caveat Emptor"
Y'gotta look for the buried bodies yourself, nobody's obligated to show 'em to ya.
OK fine point for a dealer, in CA at least:
IF the dealer states the car has never had major repairs and it's found to be otherwise, that's a material misrepresentation (whether intentional or not) which renders the sales contract void.
If no representation about repairs is made, there's no recourse for the buyer.

But back to Clyde's F55:
I think disclosure to the next buyer is a sign of good faith, no surprises, and a very credible explanation for the non-standard pickguard.
Which is so tastefully rendered in this case that only the most stringent purist would object and even then any possible hit on value could quite possibly be offset by rarity/desirability/condition of an F55 in 20 years.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:) What's a puppy "foster mom" Antney? You're not talking about a shelter, are you?

There are wonderful folks who "Foster" and take care of Rescue pups until they find their "Furever Homes". I imagine that is what Antney is referring to Chazmo.

As far as the Guitar and the repair goes for me, I pay a great attention to detail when I buy a used guitar. I would as a buyer prefer it be disclosed about the damage but as long as there is no effect on the Structural stability and it doesn't effect the playability I wouldn't consider it an issue as it has been properly repaired.

Now if I were to purchase it as new from a shop without any disclosure of the repair for full price and then find the damage and repair later that had not been disclosed I would be a bit ticked off about the fact that it wasn't mentioned and sold as new with no issues. Being that it is a used guitar I say fix it to where you are happy with it like Claude did and play the heck out of it. Just an opinion as always.

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey if a guy as picky as Ray likes it, you know you're home free.
:biggrin-new:

When Ray and Tx give you their blessing, its hard not to feel good about it :)

Meanwhile, you'll be happy to know Al, the F55 is living in its case, safe from falling objects...

IMG-4299.jpg

and I'm now considering a fully padded room for my new man cave, one that Jack Nicholson would feel totally cuckoo about it :triumphant:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
When Ray and Tx give you their blessing, its hard not to feel good about it :)

Meanwhile, you'll be happy to know Al, the F55 is living in its case, safe from falling objects...

IMG-4299.jpg

and I'm now considering a fully padded room for my new man cave, one that Jack Nicholson would feel totally cuckoo about it :triumphant:

I think you need padded mics and stands then pad the room . 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I must now humbly confess the very first ding (2, actually) on my D25 happened when it was actually in its case, when I picked it up without making sure the latches were engaged. I'd put it in intending to take it out again, but waited a while and then picked it up to move to another bench in the park.... (Insert teeth-gnashing emoticon here)
It's happened to a couple of other guys here, too, so be forewarned....