Pickup Score!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Today was a good day for pickup deliveries!

HB1 4-wire in gold. HB1 with Hex poles (16k!). Two original Dearmond 2000s. I also got a SD Custom '78 for my Van Halen guitar but it was already installed when I took this pic.

5D3_2500_1600.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations GAD on such a variety find. Had to be exciting opening that package. How did your SD Custom sound?

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow. Those Dearmonds are sweet! They’re going to make some guitar very happy.
16K is crazy hot. Curious to see what you think of that one.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations GAD on such a variety find. Had to be exciting opening that package. How did your SD Custom sound?

Sorry - they came in separate orders. I could see how that was misleading. It was just a good day for oickup deliveries. :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
there must be something in the air because i just scored an excellent + set of HB1’s from 1972 (S-100 wiring), and a mint/NOS pair of SD-1s from 1998. only took 8 years for GAD to not outbid me, and i score 2 pair in 30 minutes!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
there must be something in the air because i just scored an excellent + set of HB1’s from 1972 (S-100 wiring), and a mint/NOS pair of SD-1s from 1998. only took 8 years for GAD to not outbid me, and i score 2 pair in 30 minutes!

Hmm I was the high bidder on a set of SD1s and my bid got cancelled. :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
u burned me about 50 times bro! i knew what i was up against ha

the current “score”

GAD-50
Mavuser-2

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
btw the seller ended your auction early due to an error in the listing (HB1 w no mention of SD1 or Duncan). i hit BIN in the new auction

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
u burned me about 50 times bro! i knew what i was up against ha

the current “score”

GAD-50
Mavuser-2

btw the seller ended your auction early due to an error in the listing (HB1 w no mention of SD1 or Duncan). i hit BIN in the new auction

LOL - no hard feelings ever - all's fair in love, war, and the quest for Guild pickups! Good job on out-GADding me! :applause:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, believe it or not finding a set of SD1s has proven MUCH more difficult than any set of HB1s (except for the hex sample). In my years of eBay and Reverb trolling that may be the first set I've ever seen for sale. The set I have I pieced together over literally years during which I found only those two. The other set I have is in my Starfire.

Someday I'll finish my pickup experiments and articles (there are five or so brewing) and flood the market with Guild pickups. :drunk:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
LOL - no hard feelings ever - all's fair in love, war, and the quest for Guild pickups! Good job on out-GADding me! :applause:

thanks it wasnt easy. i literally broke a sweat

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
This thread title confused me. I thought it was about what my younger self used to wish for when I went out on a Saturday night. :unconscious:

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Also, believe it or not finding a set of SD1s has proven MUCH more difficult than any set of HB1s (except for the hex sample). In my years of eBay and Reverb trolling that may be the first set I've ever seen for sale. The set I have I pieced together over literally years during which I found only those two. The other set I have is in my Starfire.

Someday I'll finish my pickup experiments and articles (there are five or so brewing) and flood the market with Guild pickups. :drunk:

u have that set of 94’s stamped Seymour Duncan on the bottom instead of Guild, w the Guild covers. I always thought those were the same as SD-1s. but i just read your blog- U really think they are noticably different than the ones stamped Guild NL/BL?

i would have guessed other than the Guild covers, both SD-1s and “Duncan w Guild covers” are virtually equal, and both are equal to SH-1 (and SH-4 where applicable), as far as tone goes. u really think they sound different? Ive only heard the SD-1s so far (on a SF-3 1998 I used to own). i have a set of SH-1s for one guitar so can do a comparison when those go in.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAD ill have my Luthier test the values of everything I have and report them to you, soon.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What are you putting the DeArmonds in?

No immediate plans. I got them because I'm fascinated by the whole Dearmond 2000/2k/2000 thing thanks to my X160 Rockabilly. If they end up anywhere, it will probably be there.