Pickup Score!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
u have that set of 94’s stamped Seymour Duncan on the bottom instead of Guild, w the Guild covers. I always thought those were the same as SD-1s. but i just read your blog- U really think they are noticably different than the ones stamped Guild NL/BL?

i would have guessed other than the Guild covers, both SD-1s and “Duncan w Guild covers” are virtually equal, and both are equal to SH-1 (and SH-4 where applicable), as far as tone goes. u really think they sound different? Ive only heard the SD-1s so far (on a SF-3 1998 I used to own). i have a set of SH-1s for one guitar so can do a comparison when those go in.

Part of me getting them was to figure that out.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No immediate plans. I got them because I'm fascinated by the whole Dearmond 2000/2k/2000 thing thanks to my X160 Rockabilly. If they end up anywhere, it will probably be there.
Ah, forgot about that one! That guitar will gain about 175% of testosterone with the old "real" DeArmonds compared to what it came with stock. pure nickel strings work a lot better with those pickups than nickel plated steels btw, in my own experience - much easier to balance wound and treble strings.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations GAD on such a variety find. Had to be exciting opening that package. How did your SD Custom sound?

Sorry I missed this one.

The SD '78 Custom sounds better than the Korean-made stock Wolfgang pickup, but it's subtle. Unfortunately I got the F-spaced pickup and it looks weird so I'm going to replace it with a normal-spaced one.

The difference in tone is the kind of thing that a Van Halen fan listening for it might hear, but let's be honest - the amp and the playing are 99% of what anyone hears.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
That guitar will gain about 175% of testosterone with the old "real" DeArmonds compared to what it came with stock. pure nickel strings work a lot better with those pickups than nickel plated steels btw, in my own experience - much easier to balance wound and treble strings.

Yup. The "real" 2000s are killer with nickel flatwounds too.

-Dave-