GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

beinhard

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is a Blues 90 prototype made in Corona. Possibly an experiment to see if it was something they could produce.
I believe at least one more exists.
BTW, Jahn no longer has it ;)

beinhard

kakerlak

Reaction score
That is a Blues 90 prototype made in Corona. Possibly an experiment to see if it was something they could produce.
I believe at least one more exists.
BTW, Jahn no longer has it ;)

beinhard

That's what I meant by posting outliers. We've established that the trans-red/black/green all exist in reasonable numbers and that there are lots of Bluesbird P-90s out there in other finishes, so let's try and sort out what one-off/extra colors we've seen out there on actual Blues 90s. I want to say I've seen one in natural before, but I've been unable to find it via google, so it might be a bogus memory. I don't think I've seen any opaque ones.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Regarding the reds and the "black cherry" distinction... I've never paid too much attention before, but do you guys think these are two intentionally different colors?
mwkobdfmzoj1gj28trmk.jpg

xuic19inp3tssbvlcyub.jpg

kakerlak

Reaction score
Lemme just spam this up with a third post in a row... Anybody want to take a stab at guessing the production ratios for red/green/black? Reds seems to definitely be the most common. I think I've seen fewer black ones than I have green. Maybe something like a 70%(R)/20%(G)/10%(B) split? Hans?

DThomasC

Reaction score
That's was my first impression too, but the white knobs (from a Fender amp) suggest that it might actually be a Chris Flemming prototype, emphasis on "might." The known prototype has the same knobs.

Maybe Mr Flemming didn't like the clear Guild knobs. I know I don't. The first time I saw a photo of Jahn's with white amp knobs I immediately placed an order for black amp knobs to match the black (aftermarket) pickups on my red Blues90. Looks much better to me. I know, without photos it never happened and nobody cares...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's what I meant by posting outliers. We've established that the trans-red/black/green all exist in reasonable numbers and that there are lots of Bluesbird P-90s out there in other finishes, so let's try and sort out what one-off/extra colors we've seen out there on actual Blues 90s.
Black Cherry/Ebony Transparent/Emerald Green Transparent show as standard for Blues 90's on '01 price list, but no "reds".
Regarding the reds and the "black cherry" distinction... I've never paid too much attention before, but do you guys think these are two intentionally different colors?
mwkobdfmzoj1gj28trmk.jpg

xuic19inp3tssbvlcyub.jpg
Yes and the first one's not Black Cherry, either.
(There's a chip of "Black Cherry" in the '01 Fender Frontline catalog)
I'd almost say the first one's an earlier Westerly and the 2nd one is a Corona, if they'd made 'em there.
Second one looks more like Fiesta Red, but suspect it was actually called something else, being transparent.
Lacking price lists for years from '97-'01,showing standard colors, it's hard to nail down what it might have been.

For the difference between Ebony Transparent and Black Cherry:
Ebony Transparent from here:
photo-22_zpse933c4d9.jpg

This guitar is described as being "charcoal" but it's so redded-out on my tube at least, that I suspect it's actually a "Black Cherry".
Interestingly that listing also says the guitar was acquired from our own Hans Moust whom we know to be an aficionado of black guitars....
If nothing else it also shows how far colors can drift across the variables of the imaging device, the hosting platforms, and the final display device:
q6smf3rpz8odpebyllnl.jpg

So while that could explain the differences in the 2 reds above, I suspect those actually are 2 different colors. They're just too different.

Last edited: