CE100D out of production

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I just noticed the CE100 is no longer listed on the Guild website.

Anyone know what happened? Not popular?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's been gone for a while. Over six months, maybe closer to a year. I have no idea why, though I guess it wasn't selling enough. They should bring it back with Franz or DeArmond pickups IMO . Or with a single neck humbucker, I bet there would be jazz players who'd appreciate that.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I thought the CE100D might have been one too many. Guild already made 3 different full body archtops; It didn’t seem like such a small market segment would support a 4th. Unfortunately, I guess I was correct

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I thought the CE100D might have been one too many. Guild already made 3 different full body archtops; It didn’t seem like such a small market segment would support a 4th. Unfortunately, I guess I was correct

yes, the only difference is that the CE100 is maple and the Starfires are mahogany, which is too fine a difference for most punters to care about.

EDIT: Sorry, I realise the CE100D is full depth, so the comparison is with the X175B, and the difference is purely the pickups in that case.

Last edited:

X-170AB

Reaction score
yes, the only difference is that the CE100 is maple and the Starfires are mahogany, which is too fine a difference for most punters to care about.

EDIT: Sorry, I realise the CE100D is full depth, so the comparison is with the X175B, and the difference is purely the pickups in that case.

Well, and that the X-175 is 17" with a spruce top, and the CE100 is 16" with a maple top. Pity if it wasn't popular enough to keep selling.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Well, and that the X-175 is 17" with a spruce top, and the CE100 is 16" with a maple top. Pity if it wasn't popular enough to keep selling.

Thank you. There's one in a store near my work. If I hadn't just bought another Guild I'd be tempted to go and try it.

Bernie

Reaction score
Can't find my way through Guild electrics : too many of them with no relation I can understand between names and features...I'm mostly interested in hollow-bodies, mainly deep bodies : does Guild make an all solid-woods jazzy-style guitar ?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does Guild make an all solid-woods jazzy-style guitar ?

Not sure if it's "All solid-woods".

newark_street_mainimage_X175manhattan-1500x630.jpg

https://guildguitars.com/g/x-175-manhattan/

Aleph

Reaction score
I think it was a mistake to sell them with the Bigsby. If it had a simple guild harp I would have bought one.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think it was a mistake to sell them with the Bigsby. If it had a simple guild harp I would have bought one.

You can get the sunburst ones without the Bigsby, and you can get a harp tail from Guild if you must have the natural version. commercially, I don't think it was a mistake, judging from the ones I see all over the place, I think it's been a great seller so far.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
You can get the sunburst ones without the Bigsby, and you can get a harp tail from Guild if you must have the natural version. commercially, I don't think it was a mistake, judging from the ones I see all over the place, I think it's been a great seller so far.

Are we now talking about the X175 or CE100D? I think Walter might be talking about the former and Aleph about the latter

Bernie

Reaction score
I just noticed the CE100 is no longer listed on the Guild website.

Anyone know what happened? Not popular?
Don't really know what you mean : the CE-100D is still available, but the CE-100 is not...The difference being that the CE-100D has got two pickups - there's one only on the CE-100. You mentioned both in your post (title and post in fact)...

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Don't really know what you mean : the CE-100D is still available, but the CE-100 is not...The difference being that the CE-100D has got two pickups - there's one only on the CE-100. You mentioned both in your post (title and post in fact)...

Apologies if I failed to differentiate between the CE100D and the CE100, but what I mean is what I said: they don't seem to be listed on the website.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

https://guildguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/newark-st-collection/#hollow-body

Aleph

Reaction score

?? Guild won’t sell the harp tail piece in Europe (where I am located)... Also, I think you are talking about the X-175 Manhattan not the Capri right???

I end up not getting the Capri just because of that Bigsby. got the savoy instead and couldn’t be happier! :)
Still drool over a Bigsby less Capri tho! :-D

Bernie

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
Can't tell you : it would be interesting to know for sure if Walter was talking about the CE-100 or of the CE-100D (or both) in his early post...It is not unlikely that they may have stopped building the 100D but still have some left in their stock...Or maybe he was thinking of the CE 100 alone ?
I would agree that Guild have a lot of different guitars, and may not need that many ? The AxxxS, the CEs the Xxxxs, the Txxs, the Mxxs, the Starfires, all accompanied with various figures...And what about these numbers : do they point an increase in range (from 0 entry level to 2xx high-end, - or other way round), are they referring to sizes instead - learned the 175 had a 17" bout (does the 170 do as well?)...
If I was the owner of the Guild company - not before next year - maybe I'd be tempted to organise all this a bit better : but I don't know much about the electrics, so don't worry... :chuncky:
If someone understands it all, i'd be delighted to know a bit more about it

matsickma

Reaction score
Hans is the guy who understands all things Guild. Purchasing his book would get you from early 1950's to mid 1970's.

Their is another book from a author Beesley who also covers the Guild guitar prodfrom 50's to late 80's.

These can help you understand the guitar models.

M

DThomasC

Reaction score
If I was the owner of the Guild company - not before next year - maybe I'd be tempted to organise all this a bit better : but I don't know much about the electrics, so don't worry... :chuncky:
If someone understands it all, i'd be delighted to know a bit more about it

Please don't reorganize everything to suit yourself; it would be a disservice to thousands of of people that have no trouble wit the existing system.

Breifly, when it comes to archtops:

A - deep body, fully acoustic. Many have a pick guard mounted pickup, but there are no cutouts in the body, so they're still A's

X - deep body with pickups

T - thin version of the 'X' instruments

M - mini hollow body. M75 and M65 are the only options and the M75 has been available in semihollow and fully solid versions over the years.

SF - The single cutaway versions (I, II, II) are upscale versions of the hollow T-100. The double cutaway versions (IV, V, VI, XII) are semihollow much like a Gibson ES335.

Bigger numbers following the letter generally means more upscale features.

EDIT: The CE-100 is a deep body with a pickup, so seems it should be an X. I don't know where the CE designation came from.

Last edited: