Quick M20 Assessment, Please?

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I am excited to hear about this one Jed. Keep us posted.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Over the years, in different threads, I have seen this label referred to as a "silhouette label". Hans describes it in his book as "a black and white label with a guitar body silhouette". There are three variants of this label used between 1953 and 1959.

Congratulations on purchasing this M-20 axe! As others, I look forward to hearing what Hans has to say about the different features of this guitar. And, I look forward to reading your review of the guitar after you make a few tweaks to the setup.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm stoked. Also wondering what the D on the label is?

Well, clearly this axe was meant for you because it stands for Dave! :)

Or, maybe it's the dreadnought version of the M-20. :)

OK, enough kidding. I'm curious too, but have no idea what it might mean.

jedzep

Reaction score
Why didn't I think of that? Of course it was meant to be, and a lucky man am I!

I let the little git sit in the cold case this morning and by the time I got home it was ready for tinkering with. Aside from the too thick awful saddle, I could see that the neck was tweaked so far back that I immediately backed off the truss rod, just happy that it functioned. It was actually arched back noticeably so that the high saddle kept the strings off the frets, but when brought back to very slight relief the E,A, and D buzzed, with a normal height saddle I slid in there. I'm letting it sit like this and notice after 4 hours the neck is coming back to a nice arch under standard tuning tension, and the buzz has subsided. I think I need to let this move itself into a stable position overnight and set it up in a couple days. Right?

The flat picking tone is divinely delicate and chimey, using a Dunlop Primetone .73mm. Dang...maybe I shoulda' learned to finger pick.

Oh lucky man!

bobouz

Reaction score
Congrats Dave - A wonderful addition to your group!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have asked Hans to look it over, but haven't heard yet.

Hello jedzep,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm slowly going over the emails and questions that came in during my absence,

Your M-20 is an earlier one and therefore some of the specs are different from slightly later ones. The bridge looks original to me and obviously the pickguard is missing. There are more rings around the soundhole than I've seen on other M-20s with close serial numbers, but it looks like the original top and it doesn't look like any rings were added later.

There has been done some work on the guitar as some of the earlier posters already suggested, but I can only guess about when that happened.
The front of the peghead has been re-done and the logo and truss rod cover where probably added at that same point in time.
It looks like the 'silhouet' label has been cut in half and again I have no idea why they did that, but it could be the fact that the bottom half of the label still gave the New York 7 address and postal code. As far as the D after the serial number is concerned I do not know the answer for that either.

That's probably what I can tell you off the top of my head. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Congrats Jed!....a really cool example of an old M-20....and I'm sure you'll get it playing beautifully. Keep the updates coming.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wow, thanks very much as always, Hans. This one is super old school. JZ i’d say u did very, very well on this, as long as it plays and sounds as it should. congratulations! original bridge and original tuners is usually pretty good sign. I wish u the best of times with this 61 year old find. i seem to be a magnet for M-20’s but that one u have does not come around every day!

jedzep

Reaction score
Thanks folks. I do appreciate getting pieces of the puzzle, but more the shared knowledge and encouragement of this group. There's always a tinge of doubt when you lay out hundreds of dollars for these relics, and the mutual appreciation you all share for fine guitars helps wash away the inevitable creep of buyers remorse. I've been tempted by some newer old M20's, but the real old guitars get my wheels turning. Then the list of questions begins and back and forth with the seller.

I put the finishing touches on one of the bone prototype saddles I have and it fit nicely into the slot, but that buzz wouldn't go away on 4,5,and 6. I started looking at the nut and thought I might have to shim it slightly to help with the diagnosis, but I started to suspect the low tension of the silk and steel strings that came with it. The problem disappeared immediately when it was strung with the T-Infelds, so now I'm in cruise gear. Even though they're 11's, and tuned down a whole step, the bass strings cleared the frets beautifully...2mm. Just enough pull on the neck angle I guess. Tuned down like this, I'm sure it could take 12's, but that can wait.

I've been polishing my version of the beautiful Elvis Costello's 'Alison', just right for this little guitar, and when I found the tutorial for the intro it turned a day I should have been getting the house together for Thursday's invasion of the family, into a day of playing my new 'small'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCugB5GDDI

I recently saw the amazing Molly Tuttle up close in the intimate arena of the Cooperstown Concert Series and can't stop working on my picking range and hand speed. A good day...and it's almost cocktail hour. Maybe a perfect day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That sure is a cool old M20. Are we going to see some new “after” pics?

jedzep

Reaction score
Planning on it Mikey. Can't figure out how everyone gets these high def perfect photos on the forum, but as soon as I get some free time I'm going to set up a photo shoot.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't figure out how everyone gets these high def perfect photos on the forum

If you are asking about the mechanics, host the pic elsewhere and link to it or just read http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

If you are referring to the work of the photographer, I suggest you ask for help. GAD, Joe and Grot are three folks who have good pictures and have shared their knowledge. There are several others as well - I hope they forgive me for forgetting their names and not including them.

jedzep

Reaction score
O4fnZsM.jpg

rKOC0Zj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qybKNRT.jpg

Here's my saddle upgrade with the nice string break angle and the best neck relief I can get without a headache. Still less than 1/8" string height up at 12. I might stop here and call it a win.

I love the way the Thom-Infelds settle down almost overnight and stay forever.

Thanks for the photo guidance...AGAIN. You'll have to click the link for the 3rd pic. Thinking it never had a pick guard, as there isn't a hint of an outline. I love 'em naked anyway.

Also, I'm getting along OK with the 1 5/8" nut, to my surprise. Perhaps some of the fat has migrated from my fingertips. Unfortunately it seems to have gone to my belly.

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks folks. I do appreciate getting pieces of the puzzle, but more the shared knowledge and encouragement of this group. There's always a tinge of doubt when you lay out hundreds of dollars for these relics, and the mutual appreciation you all share for fine guitars helps wash away the inevitable creep of buyers remorse. I've been tempted by some newer old M20's, but the real old guitars get my wheels turning. Then the list of questions begins and back and forth with the seller.

I put the finishing touches on one of the bone prototype saddles I have and it fit nicely into the slot, but that buzz wouldn't go away on 4,5,and 6. I started looking at the nut and thought I might have to shim it slightly to help with the diagnosis, but I started to suspect the low tension of the silk and steel strings that came with it. The problem disappeared immediately when it was strung with the T-Infelds, so now I'm in cruise gear. Even though they're 11's, and tuned down a whole step, the bass strings cleared the frets beautifully...2mm. Just enough pull on the neck angle I guess. Tuned down like this, I'm sure it could take 12's, but that can wait.

I've been polishing my version of the beautiful Elvis Costello's 'Alison', just right for this little guitar, and when I found the tutorial for the intro it turned a day I should have been getting the house together for Thursday's invasion of the family, into a day of playing my new 'small'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCugB5GDDI

I recently saw the amazing Molly Tuttle up close in the intimate arena of the Cooperstown Concert Series and can't stop working on my picking range and hand speed. A good day...and it's almost cocktail hour. Maybe a perfect day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4
I always love the crafty and understated licks in Elvis Costello recordings. And wow! That Molly Tuttle picking work is really impressive! I also have to chuckle because I couldn't help but notice the Black Sabbath album cover in the back. Rock on, Molly. . . rock on!

And just so this isn't a complete veer, congrats and nice work on the M-20! I'm often discouraged about trying to resurrect older vintage acoustics, but you've done a bang up job. Enjoy!