2012 Guild F-512 opinions needed

tje1

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone could help me. I am based in Britain.

I have noticed a 2012 Guild 12 String F-512 on sale for £800(about $1100). This seems very cheap given that they seem to retail here for about £3,000. I would of course try it out but it is quite far away and I wondered if anyone could spot any issues with it from the enclosed link?

I have never played a Guild before and I wondered if there were anything I should be aware of in a used example.

many thanks for your consideration

http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guild-Accoustic-12-String-Guitar/264025030880?hash=item3d791e40e0:g:0D8AAOSw-yJb4GZ0:rk:1:pf:0

tommym

Reaction score
It is his opening bid price; he may have a higher hidden reserve price in place once this first bid gets placed.

He list the "new" cost as £1,995.00 (excluding case)

Tommy

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, tje1.

That 'burst F-512 looks just beautiful to me. The New Hartford Guilds are wonderful, and this is a perfect example of one (so it seems). I didn't see anything negative at all in a cursory look at the ad's pictures. As tommym mentioned, what you're seeing on eBay(UK) is an opening bid, but that would be an insane, low price if you could actually get it for that.

Stateside, that guitar would easily bring > $2,000US, but you will probably pay more in UK. If you were lucky and got it from the eBay auction for anywhere near that, you'd be very lucky (in my opinion).

Best wishes.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You have tremendous discipline if you want a 512 and do not bid on that one

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

That eBay listing appears somewhat fishy over here. I have tried to look for it in eBay.de and eBay.uk without success. I first followed the link provided in post #1 - nothing. Then link in post #3 gets me into page that looks like eBay. And when I copy the item # 264025030880 and paste it either into eBay.de or eBay.uk - I get nothing.

Also my mouse and touchpad both quit "left click" until I restarted - this has never happened before.

If someone else has no problems with this eBay site - please comment.
I´m not new with eBay 466 feedbacks . . .

There is no such thing as " higher hidden reserve price " as Tommym suggested in post #2 - naturally the seller could have a friend bidding for him, but in that case he would have to pay eBay fees even in the case, that his friend has highest bid and the sale does not actually happen.

Might just be something in this end . . .

Last edited:

tje1

Reaction score
Hello

That eBay listing appears somewhat fishy over here. I have tried to look for it in eBay.de and eBay.uk without success. I first followed the link provided in post #1 - nothing. Then link in post #3 gets me into page that looks like eBay. And when I copy the item # 264025030880 and paste it either into eBay.de or eBay.uk - I get nothing.

Also my mouse and touchpad both quit "left click" until I restarted - this has never happened before.

If someone else has no problems with this eBay site - please comment.
I´m not new with eBay 466 feedbacks . . .

There is no such thing as " higher hidden reserve price " as Tommym suggested in post #2 - naturally the seller could have a friend bidding for him, but in that case he would have to pay eBay fees even in the case, that his friend has highest bid and the sale does not actually happen.

Might just be something in this end . . .

The listing appears legit to me - if you go to the official ebay.co.uk site and type in 'Guild 12 string' you should see it as one of the entries.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I have no problem seeing this in the eBay app on my phone. Looks like only 20 hours left in the auction so not too much patience is required for a last minute winning bid. Too bad it does not ship to Canada.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing fishy that I can see with the URL or anything.

Good luck, tje... Hope this slips under the UK radar so you can grab this for a good price.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice looking guitar . Still no bids at 16 hrs left . I kind of feel the bidding will get crazy towards the end .

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
That sure is a purrrrdy guitar!
(URL in post #3 works fine for me - Google Chrome)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. Almost TOO good to be true. I can't see any picture that shows the s/n label or the back of the guitar clearly. I would see if there is a way to do a picture search on ebay sites to see if the shots are stolen from another seller, just to be sure.

update: Found Google could not find it anywhere else.

It's looking better. Still, we have no idea what the reserve is.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow. Almost TOO good to be true. I can't see any picture that shows the s/n label or the back of the guitar clearly. I would see if there is a way to do a picture search on ebay sites to see if the shots are stolen from another seller, just to be sure.

update: Found Google could not find it anywhere else.

It's looking better. Still, we have no idea what the reserve is.

If you ask for a few extra pics it could at least prove the guitar is in hand ;)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is no such thing as " higher hidden reserve price "

I'm going to gently disagree. The fact that the seller has set a Reserve price is not revealed to buyers until the first bid is made and there is no point in having an opening bid that is less than or equal to the reserve price. So for an auction with no opening bid, the reserve is both hidden and higher.

As soon as a bid is made the buyer will be informed that the Reserve has not been met (if it wasn't) and so the existence of a reserve and a lower bound are thus revealed.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm going to gently disagree. The fact that the seller has set a Reserve price is not revealed to buyers until the first bid is made and there is no point in having an opening bid that is less than or equal to the reserve price. So for an auction with no opening bid, the reserve is both hidden and higher.

As soon as a bid is made the buyer will be informed that the Reserve has not been met (if it wasn't) and so the existence of a reserve and a lower bound are thus revealed.

I stand corrected - now that you said it - I remember it, too.

But I still smell a fish. Every item for sale in eBay has twelve-digit number. If you put that number in search field - you should be able to find it. I do this all the time for my friend who searches various things from all over world and then has me buy them for him, while he has no credit card. Works like charm. But not in this case. I have tried it in eBay.de and eBay.com - no luck.

And while speaking of smelling fish/Guild/eBay - check these two 12-strings - two sellers two prices - same pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-F-51...rentrq:0870bb191670ac3cc32eaeebfffd1e0d|iid:1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GUILD-Guil...rentrq:0870bb191670ac3cc32eaeebfffd1e0d|iid:1

ClydeTower

Reaction score
No bids... only 30 min. left...
At this price (about $900 USD), major steal!
I'd bid just to see if there is a reserve...

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Somebody just placed a bid... And it seems there is no reserve!
If it stays there, that would qualify as the steal of the year :)

tje1

Reaction score
Sold for about 1320$ USD!!
Anybody here pick that up?

I missed out unfortunately - was doing something else, anyway I would not have bid without trying it out first. But at least this gives a guide as to how much to expect to pay for a used example. They cost £3,200- about $4,000 usd, new here in the UK.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I missed out unfortunately - was doing something else, anyway I would not have bid without trying it out first. But at least this gives a guide as to how much to expect to pay for a used example. They cost £3,200- about $4,000 usd, new here in the UK.

Oh, man, I think you missed an opportunity. $1320USD is well below what this would've sold for *in the US* . And your prices over the pond are usually significantly higher! Well, anyway, stay in the hunt, tje.