Pickguard material question

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Can anyone link me to some sheet plastic similar in spec (look,texture and thickness) to what the black Guild pickguards are made from?

Many thanks

Toby

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Can anyone link me to some sheet plastic similar in spec (look,texture and thickness) to what the black Guild pickguards are made from?

Many thanks

Toby

I had a custom pickguard done for my F55 by Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards https://www.facebook.com/holterpickguards/. He could probably tell you what material and thickness was used on your guitar and make you a new one if you so desire. Mine was done with quality 100% real celluloid and it looks and feels awesome.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Thanks all

Same at StewMac.
https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Pickguard_Materials/Black_Pickguard_Material.html

I don’t know what thickness you’ll need, same for texture. I’m sure the specs changed depending on the year. Also, the earlier guitars lacquered over the pickguards, I believe, while the later ones didn’t, which will affect the feel and look.

I'm just making some pickup mounts so they won't be very visible. If I make them black to match the scratchplate it will look less awful. The Stewmac stuff is regular gloss PVC. I might try and find some satin PVC as I think that will more closely match the scratchplate.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
What era/model?

I'm going to try some quirky neck pickup options with my 1966 DE-400. Don't worry, no structural damage will be sustained. Got a few things in the drawer I'd like to try. All of these work with the current rout: Ric Hot Toaster, Higain, Filtertron, G&L Z3, Old Teisco single coil. But I need to make some mounts for them.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'm going to try some quirky neck pickup options with my 1966 DE-400. Don't worry, no structural damage will be sustained. Got a few things in the drawer I'd like to try. All of these work with the current rout: Ric Hot Toaster, Higain, Filtertron, G&L Z3, Old Teisco single coil. But I need to make some mounts for them.

Cool! Look forward to the experiments! As for the pickguard, I'm pretty sure that era would be back-painted lucite, wouldn't it? It's what my '66 Starfire was. Really, I think they all are from the late '50s up to some point in maybe the '80s?

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Cool! Look forward to the experiments! As for the pickguard, I'm pretty sure that era would be back-painted lucite, wouldn't it? It's what my '66 Starfire was. Really, I think they all are from the late '50s up to some point in maybe the '80s?

yes it would be, but that's too complicated. I was kind of meaning the stuff they use now. A bit of thick not too shiny black PVC should be fine for now. £3.99 a sheet, free delivery :)