XR7 Pickups in a Starfire 1V

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Any of you ever own or play this model with the XR-7's in both the bridge an neck positions? Any comments either positive or negative?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i have SF-4 w factory “California” pickups (seen more on solidbody shredders of the era). Just a heads up, they look a little like XR-7s, just a heads up. they sound real nice thru my fender silver face amps. the bridge pickup really likes pedals, but across all spectrums, clean or otherwise, they get the job done nice.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
XR7s are hit or miss for me. I've had probably six different Guilds with them and I go from "love 'em!" to "meh" based on the guitar. Note that there are at least three different versions of XR7s that I've seen, but I have no idea if the differences are only cosmetic since they seem to be things like slug vs screws in the secondary coil and such.

I think they have a lot of potential, but I think it's difficult to make a sweeping generalization like I would for HB1s (they're all great).

Also Mav is correct in that I've seen Starfires with California pickups that are easily confused with XR7s. I don't have a clear answer, but I seem to recall that XR7s were made by Dimarzio while Californias were (something along the lines of) "made in Japan for Guild" or some such.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've also been talking with someone who has some pretty compelling arguments for the XR7s being a variation of the Dimarzio Super-II.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also Mav is correct in that I've seen Starfires with California pickups that are easily confused with XR7s. I don't have a clear answer, but I seem to recall that XR7s were made by Dimarzio while Californias were (something along the lines of) "made in Japan for Guild" or some such.
Yes, the Guild XR-7 was made by DiMarzio. The bobbins look more grey than black compared to the pickup rings.
They have two rows of slotted pole screws:

1709719315143.png

Whereas the "California Pick-Up. Co." pickups were imported from Japan and only had 6 adjustable pole pieces and little square openings on the top. Bobins are black compared to XR-7.

t0hzhxxlcnhojgqaxo2k.jpg
1709719499374.png

Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
just about any humbucker should do in a SF-4, especially if u play a Fender amp

Dix_

Reaction score
An ice station bunker in the mountain wilderness o
I've also been talking with someone who has some pretty compelling arguments for the XR7s being a variation of the Dimarzio Super-II.
The fool's bat-s*** crazy, don't listen to that dumb***. :playful:

OK... so this is a few months old... but then, I'm old too... & I just tripped over it.

On a more serious note, yea, that's my story & I'm still stickin' to it... hopefully one of these days I can actually finish that project (maybe when I can not keep needing to take the wife in for replacement parts - just had new hip #2 installed).

Although what's been accumulated thus far is pretty convincing, the prosecution is still collecting evidence.

So, stay tuned....