Arched cases

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There was discussion in a thread I can't find in 30 seconds, about "arched" cases. There was speculation that Guild never used (badged) any and that the standoffs would not work for an arched case.

The B-50 is getting a lot of playtime lately in spite of the fact that somewhat out-volumed by a D-25-12. So I checked the case, which was sold to me as the OHSC. It has very slight arches on the top and the bottom. You can see and feel the arch but you might not notice it if you weren't looking for it. When the case is on a flat surface the standoffs are the only thing touching the surface. There is not much space between the arch and the surface but there is some. So Guild did use at least one arched case and the standoffs work as expected. I'm posting because I believe this might be news to someone.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fro, I had an arched case for my 1967 arched-back F-50R that (I believe) was original. I can't recall if that was an arched case top or bottom. Possibly both. Anyway, I do remember that at least one side of that (hard) case was arched.

The better question for you is whether you can get something modern. I'd either call or spend some time surfing the Humicase site http://www.humicase.com/ which (as I think you know) is part of Guild's owner, CMG. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're looking for for the B-50.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The arched case discussion came up in Katthestar's thread about getting a B-500(?) bass. I posted undeniable proof that indeed Guild cases were arched. (We haven't however confirmed exactly what model bass Katthestar ended up with!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The arched case discussion came up in Katthestar's thread about getting a B-500(?) bass. I posted undeniable proof that indeed Guild cases were arched. (We haven't however confirmed exactly what model bass Katthestar ended up with!)

Yep I was the guy who'd never seen an arched back on one, before you and Mav kindly expended the effort of posting pics.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Kat wound up returning the bass and is reluctant to talk any more about it.
I also suspect that perhaps she's viewing the forum on a cell phone and given some member's feedback about not easily seeing all posts in a thread in mobile modes, that may have been part of the reason she expressed some perception of being criticized about the whole thing.
I'm just glad she's been posting again.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now I remember where the conversation occurred. Interesting that I recall the insistence that there were not arched cases but not the counter examples. Senior moment.