Intxicating Aromas

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, I keep all my more valuable guitars in their cases,, tuned down one step from standard tuning. Now that the colder weather and heating season is upon us, I take them all out once a month at about 11:00 p.m. open up their cases and let some of that humidified air get to them directly. The next morning I walk into my music room and the smell is heavenly. All that Spruce, Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood, Cocobolo, Koa, Ebony etc. just about knocks your socks off. It takes me four days to get to all of them but it's 4 days of bliss. In addition to the aromas, I have the time to just sit back and look at all of them and appreciate them for the great instruments that they are. About 3:00 p.m. or so, I go back in, make sure they are all still properly tuned down one step and then spend a few minutes playing each of them. It's just another reason why winter has become my most favorite time of the year. Time for some more coffee.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The next time you do this, take out just the Brazilian rosewood instruments and let us know what your music room smells like the next morning. I've always heard there's a distinctive smell, and actually smelled it once at Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN, playing a bazillion-dollar custom Brazilian rosewood dreadnought there on consignment.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a great winter tale, Richard. We just had our first snowstorm here in Massachusetts last night and I've been humidifying for weeks now. All the guitars are cased and humidified. I might have to start cycling through the collection just like you do. That sounds wonderful.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Did you perhaps mean 11 am? :)

No, I meant 11:00 p.m. My TV is in the same room as music room #1 and the dogs and I watch tv typically from 7:00 p.m. until about 11:00 p.m. Then I let the dogs out and put them to bed. Then I can leave open guitar cases and not have to worry about my pups accidently stepping on them until 7:00 p.m. the next night. Of course I'm in the room checking out the guitars and enjoying the aroma starting about 6:00 a.m. each day.