D46 Ash Arch Back?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Always doing research on Guild acoustics and just read an old post on AGF where a fellow saw and heard one played in Alaska in July several years back. He was praising the volumn and giving the volumn credit to the arch back of this guitar. Not saying the D46 did not have an arch back but I never have seen one with AB. The one CosmicArkie gave me the "buy it now" on and hand delivered from Texas is a wonderful playing and sounding guitar but a standard size Dread with flat back. You think he was looking at a D30, maybe? Educate me.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Always doing research on Guild acoustics and just read an old post on AGF where a fellow saw and heard one played in Alaska in July several years back. He was praising the volumn and giving the volumn credit to the arch back of this guitar. Not saying the D46 did not have an arch back but I never have seen one with AB. The one CosmicArkie gave me the "buy it now" on and hand delivered from Texas is a wonderful playing and sounding guitar but a standard size Dread with flat back. You think he was looking at a D30, maybe? Educate me.
I can't ever recall seeing an arched back version of D46, I'd feel pretty confident saying it must have been a different model.
The G37 was the predecessor to the D30 ; both had same basic formula of arched maple back/sides with some detail differences of neck construction and headstock shape/logo depending on build date.
Can't recall a sunburst G37 or D30 but that's a very small and likely "non-issue".
Lets not forget D25's and D4's (aha! it just hit me, maybe that's what he really saw!)
D25's had sunbursts available, and again while I can't actually recall a sunburst D4 off the top of my head, they did a lot of unusual finishes on those so I'd actually be kind of surprised if they didn't ever do a sunburst D4.
All that's assuming his memory for the dreadnought shape was correct, otherwise I'm thinking F40, also arched back and sunburst finish fairly common.
But F46 was flat-backed.

bobouz

Reaction score
Per a late '70s catalog I have, solid back on the D-46, and it was indeed available in a sunburst finish, as was the G-37.

I do recall that there was an arched-back version of the F-30 for a while. Possibly the same thing might have happened with the D-46, but I've never seen a listing for such a beast.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fwiw - arched backside of my G37 burst

TlXrz6r.jpg

wZk7sTP.jpg