Does the Newark lineup change every year?

RyanV

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if Guild changes up the Newark lineup far as colors, features etc every year?

Anybody know?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We’ve seen more yearly changes in the solidbody imports. There have been some additional colors to the Starfires every now and then, and the addition of the 12 string, but I don’t think it’s been a yearly thing. Others can correct me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think they tend to add models or derivative of models, but they don't change them that I recall seeing. We have seen some things like the original Bluesbird having a push/pull pot and the later ones not. I seem to recall the first S100s having LB1 pickups until they replaced them with new HB1 replacements. That's the sort of changes I recall but they seem to happen without fanfare and aren't really a yearly thing that I remember.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Wonder how much a beautiful burst would add to the price of a NS Starfire III? (Just wishing out loud)

RyanV

Reaction score
That's the sort of changes I recall but they seem to happen without fanfare

I'd love to see different colors in the SF VI. I'd also like to see that large headstock that's on my 78 make a comeback.

RyanV

Reaction score
Also, I just checked the Cordoba Guild page and they're looking to hire a Director of Marketing right now.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm just wondering if Guild changes up the Newark lineup far as colors, features etc every year?

Anybody know?

They have not changed things just because it is a new year in the sense that automobiles get tweaked and a 2017 XXXX will have some differences/improvements over a 2018 XXXX.

They do make slight changes but those have been done with little fanfare and not on an annual basis.

They often announce changes to the lineup - new models or new colors - in time for the NAMM show which is in January and could be thought of as "every year".

They pretty much don't announce things are being discontinued. At LTG we tend to find that out when a high volume dealer starts offering blowout prices on something.

dbirchett

Reaction score
What would you like to see? They have already brought out most of the classic models. I could see a thin body hollow body electric. I could see Pilot basses. I could see some models with DeArmond pickups. I could see more choices in finishes or pickups. Beyond that, I don't see a lot of things to reissue.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What would you like to see? They have already brought out most of the classic models. I could see a thin body hollow body electric. I could see Pilot basses. I could see some models with DeArmond pickups. I could see more choices in finishes or pickups. Beyond that, I don't see a lot of things to reissue.
I've been told the lineup as it is is already an expensive nightmare to stock, but more colours per model, and pickup choices would be great indeed - I don't think it's really going to happen to the extent we'd like to see though. I think DeArmond pickups are what's coming up next NAMM - I've been told some time ago they were working on those. Guild rep recently told me there's gonna be something very cool in the Newark Street lineup next NAMM, but he wouldn't tell me what exactly.

stig

Reaction score

Jet Star Bass?

dbirchett

Reaction score
I've been told the lineup as it is is already an expensive nightmare to stock, but more colours per model, and pickup choices would be great indeed - I don't think it's really going to happen to the extent we'd like to see though. I think DeArmond pickups are what's coming up next NAMM - I've been told some time ago they were working on those. Guild rep recently told me there's gonna be something very cool in the Newark Street lineup next NAMM, but he wouldn't tell me what exactly.

So maybe a thin hollow single cutaway with DeArmonds and a Bigsby. That sounds like it could be cool! Sounds familiar.

s-l640.jpg

body%20front%20ok.jpg-for-web-large.jpg

yOrangeDEARMOND.jpg

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
Something with accurate DeArmond pu's would be great in the NS line (the pu's in the old "DeArmond" line sounded great IMO, but they were really more P-90's in DeArmond covers). There is nothing at the NS Series price point that has DeArmonds. All the current Gretsch Electromatics have humbuckers and you have to pony up well over 2K for a Gretsch Pro Series model that has DeArmonds/Dynasonics.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why is it expensive to stock?

Logistics.

Each model and finish is a different stocking item. Each stocking item needs to on the store floor or in a warehouse or available to be ordered and shipped. Someone has to guess which ones will be popular so that space and capital are not tied up. Etc.

In Ye Olden Days you could get a Ford Model T in any color you wanted as long as you wanted it in black. That certainly simplified manufacturing and distribution. Today we have the opposite extreme where products are not even built until they are ordered and thus can accommodate a wide variety of preferences and customization.