Enlightened Member
Reaction score
my girl!!!

wRXG9B.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, that is a very nice photo! Get that up on the Guild web site ASAP!

walrus

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! She is even in a normal tuning :applouse: And dressed a little more modestly, shall I say, than when I last saw her image :concern:

When my son went to UMass-Amherst, they were all the rage there, kinda the local-band...somewhere I have there CD Live in "xxx" Vermont, really
a must have...

She's also...or mainly?...a killer Hammond B3 player.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thats a rare out of print cd. is it called “live 05?” or something like that? yeah she kills the B-3. shes a pretty good guitar player. she does play standard tuning plenty as well as open e. as for her clothing, or lack thereof...u are not going to hear me complain!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to the miracle that is Google and five minutes to kill while my coffee cools...

She has a signature Gibson Flying V.
The Gibson Humming Bird seems to be the only acoustic she plays that is mentioned by name.
Around 2012 she tweaked her band and deliberately dropped her 'hippy chick" image.

I would therefore speculate that the image predates 2012.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks similar to an F-50 sold on Reverb awhile back, listed as a '61!
Same headstock, same tuners...
https://reverb.com/item/4556464-guild-f-50-navarre-1961-sunburst
aBQingz.jpg

I believe Grace’s guitar is rosewood.

Frono Grace owns and plays all kinds of Gibson acoustics, and several Gibson Flying Vs from prior to her endorsement Flying V. Gibson also made her a custom 12 string with “ Grace” on the trc, a couple Doves, a Firebird acoustic for her lead player in the Nocturnals several years ago, a pile of others and of course her og Hummingbird

Hans is likely correct based purely on the fact that he is Hans...i figured it to be the new one based on geography and because the new one is a little smaller, and I have never seen her play a full jumbo.

the image does not pre date 2012. it is from 2-3 days ago at a California forest fire fundraiser.

and she is definitely still a hippie! moreso than any member of this forum i could guarantee that. don’t judge a book by its cover, certainly not this book.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
man she is steppin up her game if she bought that thing off reverb! or anything close to it

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To me, the sunburst finish looks too different for it to be the same guitar.

Hers seems to have a "three-color" burst with black-red/orange-yellow. The Reverb guitar only has a "two-color" burst with just the red/orange around the rim. I also don't see the scratches on the treble bout.

But you know, light can always do funny things!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think it's the same guitar - looks like the same model & similar vintage.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
if the guitar is really that old, I don’t believe it belongs to Grace. I believe it was borrowed, possibly from Van Morrison. all speculation, however

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
if the guitar is really that old, I don’t believe it belongs to Grace. I believe it was borrowed, possibly from Van Morrison. all speculation, however

Also, if hers has a "lips" style headstock, I don't think it could be rosewood.
Pretty darn sure they didn't do any rosewood F50's prior to '67.
Think I'd remember if I'd ever seen one, because I think Chazmo's was a rare arch-backed rosewood from '67 and then there's Bob Weir's which somebody dated to '69, but Hans said once he disagreed with the timeline in that story, making me think it was actually made earlier like Chazmo's.
Pretty sure Hans mentions Jim Deurloo as being one of the guys who fostered the "experimental" rosewood F50's in Westerly, in the Guild Guitar Book.
(Hans please correct me if wrong)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Also, if hers has a "lips" style headstock, I don't think it could be rosewood.
Pretty darn sure they didn't do any rosewood F50's prior to '67.

yes, I conceded to that in post #12 of this thread.