Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Looking for Second Guitar to My 1965 Starfire IV

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Talk to Brad who is offering one for sale?

    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...p?197816-T-250
    I think that’s a great idea. They’re great Tele-style guitars. If they’d be short scale, I would have kept mine.
    Chris

    56 A-50, '57 CE-100, 58 A-350, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80, '82 S-275, 87 Nightbird I, '88 Detonator, 92 F-15ce, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, 14 NS Aristocrat, '16 NS T-bird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 T-bass, 66 Thunder T1-12, '69 T-star, 93 Sequoia,
    60s Bari Uke

    '03 Elder Lute
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

  2. #12
    I've finally narrowed it down to these two choices:

    2018 - Fender Classic Series 50's Telecaster - Made in Mexico, but still plays and sounds great for the price ($600)
    1974 - Guild S-50 in Black - Made in USA, vintage. I really love this guitar, but the pickup in the middle will take getting used to. I keep tapping it with my pick and it's noticeable when playing. ($800)

    I'm obviously a huge Guild and vintage guy, but I have to be practical, since I already own a 1965 Starfire and need something for touring. Which one do you think?

  3. #13
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    24,015
    Quote Originally Posted by iamarobotman View Post
    I've finally narrowed it down to these two choices:

    2018 - Fender Classic Series 50's Telecaster - Made in Mexico, but still plays and sounds great for the price ($600)
    1974 - Guild S-50 in Black - Made in USA, vintage. I really love this guitar, but the pickup in the middle will take getting used to. I keep tapping it with my pick and it's noticeable when playing. ($800)
    I'm obviously a huge Guild and vintage guy, but I have to be practical, since I already own a 1965 Starfire and need something for touring. Which one do you think?
    Since you're interested in the Tele, I'd still say give that T250 a look, can you say "Roy Buchanan"?
    But I'll assume there's a good reason you didn't mention it, and to be honest, since you actually want to tour, that does put a different set of priorities in place:
    Like how much would it hurt if the guitar was damaged or stolen, besides the difficulty of replacing?
    Even as a hardcore Guild loyalist, I have to say I suspect the Tele'd probably be a heck of a lot easier to replace than a vintage Guild, and hurt a lot less because of it.
    I don't think anybody here would fault that choice, but we probably ain't interested in pics of the Tele.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Since you're interested in the Tele, I'd still say give that T250 a look, can you say "Roy Buchanan"?
    But I'll assume there's a good reason you didn't mention it, and to be honest, since you actually want to tour, that does put a different set of priorities in place:
    Like how much would it hurt if the guitar was damaged or stolen, besides the difficulty of replacing?
    Even as a hardcore Guild loyalist, I have to say I suspect the Tele'd probably be a heck of a lot easier to replace than a vintage Guild, and hurt a lot less because of it.
    I don't think anybody here would fault that choice, but we probably ain't interested in pics of the Tele.
    That headstock does not inspire me in the least bit!

  5. #15
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    24,015
    Quote Originally Posted by iamarobotman View Post
    That headstock does not inspire me in the least bit!
    I guess you would feel pretty bad if you poked a bandmate's eye out while cavorting on stage, eh?
    In fact it gives one pause to wonder if maybe that's why pointy guitars didn't last....
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by iamarobotman View Post
    That headstock does not inspire me in the least bit!
    You don’t really notice it while you’re playing; but if it doesn’t float your boat, there’s no point bailing.
    Chris

    56 A-50, '57 CE-100, 58 A-350, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80, '82 S-275, 87 Nightbird I, '88 Detonator, 92 F-15ce, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, 14 NS Aristocrat, '16 NS T-bird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 T-bass, 66 Thunder T1-12, '69 T-star, 93 Sequoia,
    60s Bari Uke

    '03 Elder Lute
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Since you're interested in the Tele, I'd still say give that T250 a look, can you say "Roy Buchanan"?
    But I'll assume there's a good reason you didn't mention it, and to be honest, since you actually want to tour, that does put a different set of priorities in place:
    Like how much would it hurt if the guitar was damaged or stolen, besides the difficulty of replacing?
    Even as a hardcore Guild loyalist, I have to say I suspect the Tele'd probably be a heck of a lot easier to replace than a vintage Guild, and hurt a lot less because of it.
    I don't think anybody here would fault that choice, but we probably ain't interested in pics of the Tele.
    Yeah, the whole Telecaster being versatile and a tank is what appeals the most to me. What doesn't appeal to me about it is that everyone plays or has one! I know the audience doesn't care really, but I do! The Guild S-50 would be a rare beast on stage and for $800 I wouldn't worry as much about it. The pickup in the middle is the one thing that is weird for me and I keep tapping the pickup with my pick, but I could adjust I'm sure.
    Last edited by iamarobotman; 11-30-2018 at 03:49 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,025
    If you like Teles but want to stand out, are you familiar with the Telemaster? It’s basically a jazzmaster body with Tele appointments. You might find them listed as Jazzcasters or Offset Telecasters.
    '73 S-100 Walnut
    '79 S-300 Ash
    '96 S-100 Black
    '96 S-100 Cherry
    '98 Jet-Star (DeArmond by Guild) Tyrian Purple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •