Ogd

SG standard

Reaction score
40 years ago today I collected my S-60 from a local music store - I'd ordered it a few weeks before, as Guild solids were a bit too exotic for them to be stocking. Three days ago, I collected it from Feline Guitars, who I'd taken it to for some work, getting it back into good playing condition. They've done a wonderful job, comprising a refret, fitting Graph Tech 'Ratio' tuners, and replacement of all the electrics. I went with a Railhammer Hyper-vintage pickup (which replaced a Seymour Duncan I'd fitted c.1980), and a Fender TBX tone control, to give a bass cut as well as the usual treble cut - slightly mimicking the Reverend arrangement I've come to love. I've kept all the original parts (including the original Guild pickup), and still have the Guild case, and even the receipt from 25/11/1978.

S60-2018-274.jpg

S60-2018-292.jpg

S60-2018-289.jpg

S60-2018-308.jpg

It's like having a new guitar... :)
I had been in two minds about getting this work done - part of me wanted to keep it in the condition it was, as it's the only guitar I have that I gigged with, and it's probably the one I gigged the most. But this year, I bought another single pickup guitar, a Gordon Smith GS1000, and I've been having so much fun with that, I began to play the Guild some more, and really wanted it back in good form again. And I think it deserves it, after all these years. Here's the two together:

GS1000-LTII-340.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The S-60 is very cool! In fact, so is the GS-1000!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Neato! I like Railhammer pickups when I want more oomph from the guitar without losing clarity but also without getting edgy/strident. (I've got a '70s Ibanez "Tele" that Joe Naylor of Reverend used as a pickup test mule while developing the first Railhammer models. The p'ups are some variant of the Chisel model, I think.)

-Dave-

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Late to the party on this but man those guitars are just cool. I love my S-300. The body shape is a huge selling point for me.. Glad you have owned yours and kept it so long..