...kids today...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There's a kid who just started college who lives a few houses from me. Plays guitar and sings - mostly acoustic, but apparently he has gotten some calls for visits from the police when he plays outside (!) with his friends as a full band - very loud! Even just him and his guitar can be loud - he's not a "quiet" singer. He's not bad, though.

Anyway, this past summer he walked by my house to go to a wooded area maybe a half mile away, with a friend who was going to take some pictures. He had his guitar with him, but no case. Looks to be a nice Taylor. Well, OK, no case, but it's nice out.

So yesterday I see him go by - same thing - to take some photos, etc. BUT - it was about 35 degrees out, cloudy and raw. And still no case! Even had his tuner attached to the headstock! I almost went out to tell him he was taking quite a chance - but I guess he may find out when he walks back into his warm house...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kids have always been stupid. Doing stupid things is how we learn. :encouragement:

F312

Reaction score
Taylor guitars may hold up better in the cold because of the poly finish, no.

Ralph

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know you're being snarky, but that is so absolutely not true.
Thanks, GAD!! I totally agree. My Taylor is an amazing guitar and I know you have a nice one too. The poly finish should help for the finish checking but I sure wouldn't risk it with mine!!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I hadn't thought abut the poly finish - I'm guessing the kid doesn't either. But boy, I would not be out and about without the guitar in it's case - regardless of the temperature. But when you consider the weather it seemed especially silly to see him go by just carrying the guitar, with a winter coat, hat, and gloves!

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...he walked by my house to go to a wooded area maybe a half mile away, with a friend who was going to take some pictures.....

I'm skeptical that's all he was looking to do out there....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And on the cover of "Stephen Stills' first album he's pictured playing in the snow, too!

walrus

Yep.

And see where his cigarette is?

For a while I had a brown stain between my right-hand pinky and ring finger because of this album cover.

UplaK33l.jpg

Antney

Reaction score
Thanks, GAD!! I totally agree. My Taylor is an amazing guitar and I know you have a nice one too. The poly finish should help for the finish checking but I sure wouldn't risk it with mine!!!

So right Tom...all Taylor’s are NOT alike. All are tinny, but some are way more tinny than others. 😬

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Not so sure about all of them being tinny. Some I played were for sure. But, I also at one time had a 910 that was superb and also a 700 series (714 maybe) with Brazilian Rosewood that was a great sounding guitar. I no longer own any Taylor guitars since I've decided to concentrate on Guild and Gibson but I surely have nothing against Taylor. Plus, I think Bob Taylor has some admirable concepts and ideas regarding sustainable wood and protecting rare woods.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can only wonder if he paid for it. :biggrin:

Joe

Well, his parents may have, but he definitely has had that guitar for a while.

BTW, the funniest part of it was he had the tuner on the headstock - was he planning on tuning it up in 30 degree weather? Crazy...

walrus

Antney

Reaction score
Not so sure about all of them being tinny. Some I played were for sure. But, I also at one time had a 910 that was superb and also a 700 series (714 maybe) with Brazilian Rosewood that was a great sounding guitar. I no longer own any Taylor guitars since I've decided to concentrate on Guild and Gibson but I surely have nothing against Taylor. Plus, I think Bob Taylor has some admirable concepts and ideas regarding sustainable wood and protecting rare woods.

I was joking, I find Taylor guitars to be too bright for my taste. I’ve only played one that I liked, my friend Jacks 30ish year old small dread. Well balanced and smooth tone. Jack passed away 4 years ago. Sitting in his basement are the Taylor, a 68 tele, a 60s melody maker, a gibby L6, an 80s Rick, a 90s Taylor 12, a 2000 PRS, a bass or two, an assortment of vintage fender amps including a champ, Princeton, bandmaster, twin, and I think some other vintage fender bass amp. I told his wife it’s not a good thing to just leave them there, but she ain’t understanding.