I'm going to lose 980 lbs!

beecee

Reaction score
No fad diet, no drugs, no starvation. I can eat all the cheeze doodle I want!!

Merely an upgrade in technology.

I'm ditching the battery array seen here for my cabin in favor of 2 x 42 lb Chevy Volt batteries.

No off gassing, no hydrometers, no adding distilled water...no more singing soprano for a day after lugging these bast**ds to a boat, dry land then hump up onto a pick up.

KaTXpGq.jpg
[/IMG]

6QFfkel.jpg
[/IMG]

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ain't technology wonderful? Batteries have come a long way.

beecee

Reaction score
Yeah saw that.

Mine are from a wrecked one. Looking to get a few spares as well. They do fine just sitting there.

beecee

Reaction score
This is an outbuilding where I keep the batteries, (9 solar panels on top). There is a 90' run to the camp which I dug, by hand, 12" deep for the conduit. I asked the electrician if he could leave me a run of Romex from the inverter so I could add "a light" to the outbuilding.

He wouldn't do it w/out the box which I luckily had on hand, (blue box above CC). After he left I opened that sucker up and ran enough rough in for 3 grounded outlets and 5 lights (all LED pulling 4 watts), in and out.

Now I'm looking at the new ceiling fans that can run on 2-6watts all day.

Still running a propane fridge so as long as my primary draw is lights and hopefully fans I should be set for a number of years.

LED lights make off grid solar so much easier.

beecee

Reaction score
That's great, BC, but don't these pouch-cell, Lithium-ion batteries need to be cooled?

Only in the automobile application as they are enclosed. For a PV storage bank they can just sit there. Heck you can store them under your bed as they don't emit any gas like my lead acid batteries do.

The only real issue is that they cannot be left where it will get well below zero. Which is quite common where they are. It was -16 below there Friday. I finally closed for the season last week prior to the cold snap

So, instead of lugging 8 x 130 lb batteries I can walk away with 2 30-40 pounders every late fall.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, BC. Where is your camp located? We had +11 degF in the morning on Friday, but where the hell is it -16??

Oh, so do you store them with a battery tender, or just leave 'em be through the winter?

beecee

Reaction score
Up in the NW section of the Adirondacks, near Cranberry Lake. Hit -30 several times up there...and no I don't visit until the ice melts.

The batteries cannot be charged in those temps, (unheated bldg.), and I'm advised to take them home even if it was heated as the panels don't really shed 2-4' of snow very well. I had to do this with my old lead acid batteries and frankly I'm getting a little too old for that..especially when you have a small (14') boat in the equation to transport

My wife ALWAYS has me keep it open as she wants to have Thanksgiving there, but we've never made it. So I close up late November/early December. Alone, just me and Jim...or Elijah, or Elmer T Lee...

Went up this past weekend and had to chop through 6" of ice to get my outboard off the boat...totally unprepared for such an early cold spell.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Up in the NW section of the Adirondacks, near Cranberry Lake. Hit -30 several times up there...and no I don't visit until the ice melts.

Mid-June, right?

You are right close to that frequent winner in the "lowest temperature in the lower 48 this morning is" sweepstakes: Old Forge. -26 degrees F last Friday.

beecee

Reaction score
It felt like mid June this year. Honestly I think it was the shortest season on record up there. Late ice out and a foot of snow still on the ground Saturday.

Tupper..yup, about a half hour drive from me. Great little liquor store, 80 year old lady runs it. Always has something you don't find in the big stores. Coolest hardware store too!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had no idea it got that cold there, BC. Anyway, yes indeedy.... Definitely take the best approach to stave off a hernia and make life easy. :) Ain't tech wonderful?! :)

bobouz

Reaction score
I was simply going to say, "Tech Sucks!"

But thank you Al, for the definitively pukey proof.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was simply going to say, "Tech Sucks!"

But thank you Al, for the definitively pukey proof.

Sadly, the evil genie of tech is that "If something can be done, sooner or later somebody will do it."

Thus requiring eternal vigilance from someone of pure heart and noble motives, forever watchful and preparing to counter the next threat looming just over the horizon.
Do you know anybody like that?