How bad is a top crack, (through), next to fret board?

beecee

Reaction score
I had an F-40 in my hands the other day, curved laminated back and what appeared to be laminated sides with a bad neck angle, no saddle, action just about acceptable and a few dings. Sounded glorious. Had the big square MOP inlays on fretboard

I was about to pull the trigger at well under $500 when I saw the through crack on the treble side of the fret board at sound hole.

There was a repaired crack bass side lower bout which seemed solid.

I really enjoyed the sound of that guitar.

How fatal of an issue is the crack in that area??

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
At well under $500 it likely wouldn't bother me all that much. I recently picked up a '72 F 40 at $850. Wonderful sounding instrument. It won't win any beauty contests but I never meant for it to enter any pageants anyway. Often times (at least for me) it's just about the sound and the price. Most any crack can be repaired by a competent Luthier. You'll likely still see it but so what?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No cracks are fatal; a good luthier can repair any crack. Literally. Depending on EXACTLY where it is (pics needed), it may just need stabilization. (Think Willie Nelson’s Trigger.)
Sometimes crack can be an indication of another issue that would need addressing (again, a pic would help). But it sounds like there’s enough room in the price that you won’t be too much into it to not go too deep with any repairs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sometimes crack can be an indication of another issue that would need addressing (again, a pic would help).

Yes, Jane's, (Guild FS4612ce) mentioned those can be a sign of a shifting heelblock, which is more complicated (read $$) to repair than a simple neck reset.
Those are the ones right next to fretboard edge extending to soundhole, and forcing the top to protrude into the soundhole .

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Sounds more like a breakdown in the area of the first brace under the fingerboard extension - very common on Guilds.
IMG_2224.JPG

After moving the neck/fingerboard/block back to the proper position, re-glue & clamp the brace/top. Then you could do one of these:
4_in_the_hole.jpg

Pretty good discussion here: http://www.zacharyguy.com/gallery/cleating-sound-hole-cracks-on-a-guild/

Even better from our very own CC: https://www.cozadguitars.com/articles/article-1975-guild-f-212-overhaul.html

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
I don't have it in hand for pictures but that second picture looks pretty similar, although the crack on the F-40 is smaller.

beecee

Reaction score
WOW !!! I knew Chris was a well spoken poster here but I had no idea of his depth of skills.

Very impressive!

bobouz

Reaction score
The '70s F-40 has always been one of my favorite Guilds. Ordered one new in '79, but unfortunately it came with a wider neck than my previous Guilds, so eventually it got traded away. A few years ago I lucked onto a '74 in excellent condition, with the ideal neck I recall from days gone by.

At the price point you're talking about, I would take a chance, stabilize the area in question, and play it with a smile!

Br1ck

Reaction score
I fixed a friend's old Epiphone that was cracked from soundhole to the side along the bass side of the neck by making a piece I glued to the top and the neck block, a repair on Frets.com. I had to reglue the cross brace and make a cleat at the soundhole, but wonder of wonders, it is stable a couple of years later.

The neck angle would bother me more. This is a perfect instrument for the serious hobby repair guy.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh happy day project guitar !!! 😁😁

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m with Bobouz!! At that price you might even be able to stabilize it yourself.. at the very minimum a decent luthier could do it for a reasonable price.. I would totally throw down if it sounds good and is under $500. Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!

beecee

Reaction score
Gonerz!

I went back and it was sold.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WOW !!! I knew Chris was a well spoken poster here but I had no idea of his depth of skills.

Very impressive!

YES !!!

I went to see his pages - simply put - WONDERFUL !!!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I agree with Adorshki -- could have been evidence of a moving neck block. Such a condition, depending on how much the block has moved, can be addressed -- but it's never a cheap fix.

Rich