New Hartford GSR Starfire VI, as good as I've hyped it up in my head?

kakerlak

Reaction score
Not to offend anyone who owns one, but I don't really see what's special about them, or what makes them extra desirable : it's a non-Guild body shape, doesn't look like any Starfire before or after it, and it has Gibson type pickups. Might be a very decent ES-335 type guitar, but I'd rather have a Starfire or an ES-335, and this is kind of neither. Then again, I could see how that very thing could be the attraction to some people.

I always thought the fifties pickguard looked wonky on the SF body.

Reaction score
No offence taken here but this is exactly why I like the GSR Starfire so much. As I said I have a ES-345 and an old Starfire IV and the GSR is a very unique guitar, lighter and more resonate than either of the others. I have several old traditional guitars but sometimes I just want something different. It reminds me more of some of the Collings I have played. Built great with nitro finish, plays great, sounds great, can't see the name on the headstock nor the shape when I am playing it anyway. Try one if you can and make up your own mind. I was able to try and buy locally so for me it was not a shot in the dark. Did I mention that my wife bought my GSR Starfire for my birthday!
Thanks john

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A GSR Starfire as a gift?! You are a lucky guy!

walrus

guildman63

Reaction score
Not to offend anyone who owns one, but I don't really see what's special about them, or what makes them extra desirable : it's a non-Guild body shape, doesn't look like any Starfire before or after it, and it has Gibson type pickups. Might be a very decent ES-335 type guitar, but I'd rather have a Starfire or an ES-335, and this is kind of neither. Then again, I could see how that very thing could be the attraction to some people.

In a historical Guild context they are not at all special for the reasons you mentioned. I had 2/18, and in terms of build quality and tone it was phenomenal! The pickups on mine were Seth Lovers, which I loved. I got rid of my GSR Starfire and T-500 when the American Patriarch models came out. Not a day goes by that I don’t wish I could have afforded to keep those two GSR’s and still get the AP’s, but I don’t expect any sympathy, nor do I deserve any. :smug:

Walter, you need to get to the Boston area so you can give my AP X-500 a workout. That would make for a great LTG video and thread!