Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix

I love me some SRV, but it's hard to argue against Jimi being the best Blues guitarist ever.

https://youtu.be/PbwUH_eJ2fk
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Brings back memories. I saw Jimi at the Boston Garden in Nov of 1968.......50 years ago. You bought tickets a little different in those days. You sent your money in to the ticket office and the tickets were sent to you. I asked for the best seats available, don't remember exactly how much, maybe $5 each. Well, the night of the concert, I showed the tickets to the usher, he marched the young lady I was with and myself right down front. I think we were in the 2nd row. She was impressed and I was stunned. Great concert.

The opening act for him was The Troggs of "Wild Thing" fame.

Great Memory

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark V, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    ...but it's hard to argue against Jimi being the best Blues guitarist ever.

https://youtu.be/PbwUH_eJ2fk
    no argument from here...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Yep, for me Jimi is the one. When it comes to electric blues anyway. He bends the genre to himself rather than vice versa.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Surpisingly, because I was a big Jeff Beck fan by 1970, I actually didn't really "get" Jimi until I met a buddy in high school in about '72, and we had a chance to have some listening parties and he finally "got" Jeff Beck, and turned me on to the "real" Jimi.
    Anyway, he was the first guy to ever point out to me that Jimi was actually a master blues guitarist even way back then, and had been respected by peers for it ever since hitting the London scene.
    So I "got" that for a long time, but I'll never forget the first time I saw the version of "Red House" on the original (VHS) release of Live at the Isle of Wight (later re-done as Blue Wild Angel)
    First time I ever saw actual footage of him with a Flying V
    Anyway what grabbed me about that particular performance is that for the first couple of minutes it sounds a little "thin", and then he twiddles the knobs a little, does some scales and neck-wrestling and is obviously really concentrating on coaxing something out of it that isn't quite "there" yet, and then suddenly it "opens up" for him.
    At the time I assumed the guitar itself had literally warmed up (it was supposed to be cold during the show) and/or that he'd finally just found the groove for that instrument that night.
    But it's the only time I've ever seen him "go through the process", and during a performance, yet.
    Shows just how serious he was about getting past the wild man image and actually trying to serve his art above all else.
    And you get why he wanted another (his 3rd or 4th) Flying V!
    Video's understandably hard to find on the net and I think the precise moment might be edited out here, (I seem to remember a close-in shot of him holding the neck perpendicular for a few seconds when he "finds it"), but you can see him starting at around 3:15 or so:

(Y'gotta press the start button or go to the URL)
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xgcp

AS I understand it he used an earlier '67 to record "Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice", ("STP with LSD", nudge-nudge wink-wink) which, while not a traditional 12-bar blues song, has always been one of my faves for tone:

Just to press the nostalgia button or give casual fans a new item to check out, my actual favorite 12-bar blues of his is "Belly Button Window".
    Last edited by adorshki; 12-06-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Saw him twice, once at Madison Square Garden with the Experience (good, not great); and the fourth of four shows (two on New Years Eve 1969 / two on New Years Day 1970) at the Fillmore East with the Band of Gypsys.

That fourth and final show is reckoned to be one of the best Hendrix ever gave.

The rumor is that Hendrix asked Bill Graham what he thought after he played the first set, and Graham was less than enthusiastic. His next set -- the one I was at (12th row, still have my ticket!) -- was his response to Graham; Hendrix played for three hours and pulled out all the stops.

On the 2CD set reissue of Band of Gypsys at Fillmore, there are more tracks from that show than any of the other three. The amazing extended version of "Stone Free," the first track on the CD set, and the first song he played that night, was edited on the reissue, which I thought was unfortunate, as the band (Band) took the song down to near silence, then built it back up to a rave-up ending, a true exploration of dynamics. (I taped the show on cassette, so I have the two versions to compare.) For the reissue, they removed a minute or so of near "dead-space" in the middle.

I got my dad to buy me my first guitar at age 14 -- a Harmony H168 -- after hearing *Axis:Bold As Love*. A lot of music I listened to as a teenager I have no interest in now, but Hendrix I still love and follow, via the various posthumous releases, remastered albums, etc.
    Last edited by wileypickett; 12-06-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wileypickett View Post
    That show is reckoned to be one of the best Hendrix ever gave. The rumor is that Hendrix asked Bill Graham what he thought after he played the first set, and Graham was less than enthusiastic.
    Thank you for this - I have started down the interwebs Hendrix rabbit-hole (with this Rolling Stone article about that concert), and look forward to seeing where it leads.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    Yep, for me Jimi is the one. When it comes to electric blues anyway. He bends the genre to himself rather than vice versa.

-Dave-
    "Let the Good Times Roll" from Ladyland.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

and his fingers are about 14" long...
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I think it was the first New Year's Eve show that Bill Graham was displeased with. He seemed to feel Jimi was showboating rather than playing. Nonetheless the second shows on both nights are IMO stronger than the first ones, at least as heard on recordings. The first New Year's Day show did feature that performance of Machine Gun along with Who Knows from the original Band Of Gypsys album.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady