Jimi Hendrix

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
JJ was a master at coming up with simple but cool & catchy licks & riffs. IMO the ability to both know what you're doing and keep from over-complicating it isn't that common.

-Dave-

Amen. The really great musicians have an economy and spareness in their technique that nevertheless communicates some really complicated musical ideas. We've all heard musicians that fell into the "more notes faster MUST be better, right?" trap.

I don't what it is about J.J. Cale's music, but I always end up grinning while I listen to him.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amen. The really great musicians have an economy and spareness in their technique that nevertheless communicates some really complicated musical ideas. We've all heard musicians that fell into the "more notes faster MUST be better, right?" trap.

Reminds me of a story I heard about Jeff "Skunk" Baxter when he was at his peak as a studio guitarist, He was hired by a producer to come in and add his "magic" to a song. Jeff listened, said it didn't need anything he could add and left, with full pay for what could have been a two hour session.