Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newark Starfire IV bridges

Newark Starfire IV bridges

On the Starfire IV's, I see some have a stop tail with a tune-o-matic fixed to the body. What about the ones with the harp and rosewood tune-o-matic. Is the rosewood bridge pinned or fixed to the bodyor does it slide around?

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    On the Starfire IV's, I see some have a stop tail with a tune-o-matic fixed to the body. What about the ones with the harp and rosewood tune-o-matic. Is the rosewood bridge pinned or fixed to the bodyor does it slide around?
    the bridges are never pinned. the string tension keeps them in place. you need to move them around to get the intonation right
    1957 X175 (ex)
    1960 Starfire III (ex)
    1962 X175
    1966 Starfire III (ex)
    1966 Duane Eddy DE-400
    2002 Starfire III-90

Not sure about the Starfire IV's. I have a Starfire V in white. The bridge does not move. I have removed all the strings for cleaning and such, and the bridge didn't move. I even tried to move it because I was curious. No give. Even with fairly continual bigsby use it has solid intonation. :)

I know that's all Starfire V, but I can't see them making the V different from the IV's. It's also worth noting, mine is a Newark street. Older Starfire's could be different. :)

Quote Originally Posted by GSFV View Post
    Not sure about the Starfire IV's. I have a Starfire V in white. The bridge does not move. I have removed all the strings for cleaning and such, and the bridge didn't move. I even tried to move it because I was curious. No give. Even with fairly continual bigsby use it has solid intonation. :)

I know that's all Starfire V, but I can't see them making the V different from the IV's. It's also worth noting, mine is a Newark street. Older Starfire's could be different. :)
    Do you have a tailpiece or a stoptail? Stoptails will have a fixed bridge. Tailpieces typically use a floating bridge, at least as they came out of the factory (some owners add pins).
    Chris

56 A-50, '57 CE-100, 58 A-350, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80, '82 S-275, 87 Nightbird I, '88 Detonator, 92 F-15ce, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, 14 NS Aristocrat, '16 NS T-bird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 T-bass, 66 Thunder T1-12, '69 T-star, 93 Sequoia,
    60s Bari Uke

'03 Elder Lute
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

That's interesting. So, tail pieces with rosewood base typically float. Stop tails (no rosewood bridge) do not float.

But the bigsby equipped Starfire V has a fixed rosewood bridge. Interesting... I guess they fixed the bridge with the bigsby equipped for tuning stability? and with the harp tail piece decided it wouldn't be necessary?

I can't imagine Guild making an SF-V with a pinned rosewood bridge. I can imagine someone having their particular guitar's bridge pinned, though, after settling on a string brand and gauge. (I wouldn't do this 'cuz I'm too fussy about intonation.)

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    I can't imagine Guild making an SF-V with a pinned rosewood bridge. I can imagine someone having their particular guitar's bridge pinned, though, after settling on a string brand and gauge. (I wouldn't do this 'cuz I'm too fussy about intonation.)

-Dave-
    yes, you wouldn't want the factory to fix the bridge because then you can't intonate it. Even straight bar bridges or Gibson stoptails can be intonated somewhat
    1957 X175 (ex)
    1960 Starfire III (ex)
    1962 X175
    1966 Starfire III (ex)
    1966 Duane Eddy DE-400
    2002 Starfire III-90

The tune-o-matic on the rosewood base would intonate

Quote Originally Posted by GSFV View Post
    But the bigsby equipped Starfire V has a fixed rosewood bridge.
    The rosewood bridge base on the Newark St. Starfires is pinned but not glued to the body. Coming from the factory there is a layer of foam in between which the first owner needs to remove before use, see the following pictures. So it should be possible to simply lift the bridge base from the body.

Same for the NS SF IV:

Ralf
    Last edited by SFIV1967; 12-11-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Can't speak for IVs or Vs, but I e-mailed Guild asking this same question about the NS III. Here is their reply:

Question: Message Body:
    I am interested in the new Guild Newark St. Starfire III. Can you tell me if the floating bridge is pinned on this model? Thank you.

Reply: Windsor, Patrick on 24-Aug-2018:
    Yessir! The bridge is pinned.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Patrick Windsor | Sales & Customer Service Associate
    Cordoba Music Group
    1455 19th St. Santa Monica, CA 90404
    P 310-857-1726 | F 310-857-1690
    Cordoba Guitars | Guild Guitars
    HumiCase | Aquila | Savarez