Wilco Bass Lesson from Cat Popper

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I captured this vid of Catherine Popper’s bass playing last night...she was not aware I was going for the close up. so I asked for permission to share and thankfully she says yes it’s cool of course. please keep in mind this is a candid video that was not intended to teach anything or be a lesson, or how to do something “by the books” or otherwise. Just thought it would be cool to take a closer look at her moves. also this was just a rehearsal gig where they play super loose. enjoy!

F312

Reaction score
Do you know how that violinish sound was created? delay +?

Ralph

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Do you know how that violinish sound was created? delay +?

Ralph

thanks Ralph, sorry i don’t quite follow the violinish sound reference. are u talking about the bass or the guitar(s)? u hear strings or just the tone u mean?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. I am in the midst of rebuilding my plucking technique so it is interesting watching someone else :)

F312

Reaction score
The sound is coming from the guitar I think.

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
The guitarist on left, you can see at the beginning and at the end.

Ralph

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The sound is coming from the guitar I think.

Ralph

J6iMKQ.jpg

cDVAQs.jpg

XHa8Lm.jpg

(amp photo below is set for down by the river, not Wilco...)

JjlU4R.jpg

ZfslZq.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The guitarist on left, you can see at the beginning and at the end.

Ralph

thats Norah Jones, famous singer but also known for hauting tones on the guitar. she has a 65 Fender Mustang, several vox (pathfiner and other) amps. a danalectro cool cat trem, boss blues driver, and ibanez analog delay (ad-9?) pedals

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Ah, I thought that was Norah. Particularly 'cuz the Pathfinder (15R). :) Great little amp, ridiculously good value, hangs right in there with my '68 Princeton in stereo or wet/dry setups.

-Dave-

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
heres a closer look at Norah’s technique on the same song (5 yr old video but still played exactly the same)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
F312- I think i know what u mean by the violin sound, that is a cool and perfect way to describe it. i believe what u are hearing is the solid state reverb dirtying up/making magic with the grail tone of a Fender Mustang, and honestly for what it is she has mastered the art of playing her rig. i also learned recently after many years her pedals are not always on, much of the time she is bypassing everything (other than the tuner) straight into the vox. Down by the river for sure has no pedals. the tremolo on the vox pathfinder is...surprisingly...insane...

if not the reverb possibly the gain is up on vox and delay pedal is engaged. it seems she will take or leave the pedals, on most any given song, is my feeling. whatever sounds good at that moment in that room etc. not sure about the danelecto trem pedal. may be for a different vox amp that does not have trem on board

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! I only have one amp, and it's a VOX Pathfinder 15R. She makes it sound very very nice!

walrus

F312

Reaction score
F312- I think i know what u mean by the violin sound, that is a cool and perfect way to describe it. i believe what u are hearing is the solid state reverb dirtying up/making magic with the grail tone of a Fender Mustang, and honestly for what it is she has mastered the art of playing her rig. i also learned recently after many years her pedals are not always on, much of the time she is bypassing everything (other than the tuner) straight into the vox. Down by the river for sure has no pedals. the tremolo on the vox pathfinder is...surprisingly...insane...

if not the reverb possibly the gain is up on vox and delay pedal is engaged. it seems she will take or leave the pedals, on most any given song, is my feeling. whatever sounds good at that moment in that room etc. not sure about the danelecto trem pedal. may be for a different vox amp that does not have trem on board

Cool sound from a combination of effects in play.

Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is a great song, and she has a great technique on guitar!

The talking in the audience during that performance would drive me crazy - never mind the guy who likes to scream out...

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The talking in the audience during that performance would drive me crazy - never mind the guy who likes to scream out...

walrus

also this was just a rehearsal gig where they play super loose. enjoy!

I would tend to agree but if it is a rehearsal and the folks practicing don't mind....

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I enjoyed both of those videos! Thanks for posting ! :encouragement:

It's kinda cool to watch professionals at a "rehearsal gig" (1st video). The practice space looks to be a loft somewhere in NYC. I am a big fan of Norah Jones' piano and vocals (and now electric guitar, too!).

Question for "mavuser"... did you ever catch a show of the "Little Willies" back when they were playing at the "Living Room" regularly? They were one of my favorite bands back in the mid-2000's. But I never saw them play live. Jim Campilongo can pull some mind-bending sounds out of a Tele and a silverface Princeton Reverb!

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
never saw the first 2 runs of LW shows but i caught them in Brooklyn a year or 2 ago when they payed 2 nights randomly.

have seen Campilongo Trio and other configurations a billion times. have a ton of his videos as well just check my utube

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
also the “practice space” is at Sunny’s Bar in Red Hook, Brooklyn- its on the National Historic Register (because sailors used to get drunk there in the 1800s). they play some other spots too