Westerly Series D-120, under the hood pics

Max5

Reaction score
Recently got one of these D120 Mahogany guitars. Serial # dates it to a '15. It sounds very good. Here are a few pics of the insides, with a few questions that some of you might have answers to.

a few questions are: There is a series of numbers down at the side along end block. It doesn't seem to be a serial number since it is different than the serial number sticker at the neck block.
qnG5murl.jpg

g8W4sLx.jpg

The bridge plate looks different than any other MIC guitar that i've seen. It seems to be glue or ? (it looks wet but is dry) all over it, and stained dark or it is rosewood. Didn't think any manuf. used rosewood for bridge plates anymore.
Seems like some of the underside of top was sprayed along with plate.
H6tWOOul.jpg

1Th5pWAl.jpg

Lots of glue squeeze out & rough braces in places, but at this price that is to be expected. Like the insides of the old war time Gibsons. They were rough inside. Totally different builds though.
ddXmOivl.jpg

URFlHp8l.jpg

But the underside of the top seems to be finished in places like this, would it hurt the breaking in process as it ages?
M4YWb37l.jpg

Tk20Yrul.jpg

Last edited:

marius

Reaction score
Fascinating. I wonder if the “finish” on the bridge plate is a thin epoxy coat that would help keep the ball ends of the string from tearing up the bridge plate.

Next time I have the strings off my M-120 I’ll have to take a look and see if the bridge plate has the same substance applied and also if the sticker is present near the tail block.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Max - cool pics, thanks for posting - love my D-120!
Out of a houseful of Westerly, Corona and Hoboken Guilds, it more
than holds its own and is better player than several!

Last edited: