First Guild / First Post - Pleasantly Surprised!!!

Buddy

Reaction score
Thanks Bill! I'm really enjoying it, got me an early holiday gift and it was a total surprise! :happy:

Buddy

Reaction score
Can't help with anything out of the acoustic realm but I can offer another WELCOME TO LTG, and congrats on a great score on your first Guild. Looks like you nailed a good one!

Play it in good health and keep us posted, :cheerful:
Joe

Thank you Joe!

Buddy

Reaction score
Congrats on a great deal and welcome to the boards!

Yeah, I always liked that 335 style, and the first guitar I got (in the new era) was an Epiphone in that style. Still got it, but I've drifted back into acoustics and rarely play my electrics. (Heck, I'm not even playing my Motif XS much.) Still love that trans cherry 335 copy, though....

lpp381.jpg

Thanks Cougar and that's a classy red lady right there!

Buddy

Reaction score
Congrats! Great guitar.

Based on my frazzled memory at the moment, they could be XR7s and could be California pickups. If you can take closer pics that would help.

Thank you GAD!!

Buddy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG!

You really did well. To answer one question for you: It is a Westerly-built guitar (should have a label visible through the F-hole). Guild was in Westerly into the early 2000's.

Secondly, the amp is interesting as well. These "II" series blackface amps were designed by Paul Rivera during his stint at Fender in the early 80s. They aren't quite as desirable as a regular Deluxe Reverb, but are still great amps.

Thanks Dave and yes looks like she born in Westerly! Yeah I did some research on the amp and ran across that info irt Rivera being behind those and so far I sorta like the flexibility of this amp with the 2 channels,etc. I'm probably going to swap of the speaker here soon but for now just enjoying this combo. It didn't come with a foot switch but I'll grab one of those here online shortly.

Buddy

Reaction score
BTW congrats on scoring what is a fairly uncommon iteration of the Starfire. There are lots of '60s, '70s, and '90s models out there, and now lots of Newark Street models, but I'd say that the '80s models with the stop tail and the ebony fretboards are the ones I see the least. I actually went to look at the pics of my '81 Starfire IV to see what pickups it has only to be reminded that I have an even more uncommon one with HB1s. BTW that's not a brag - it's a statement on the fact that I'm traveling too much and have forgotten about the details of a guitar I should be home playing every day. But then again the travel lets me buy such beauties, so I can't complain too much.

5D3_1133_1600.jpg

Take some close-up pics of the pickups and we can tell you what they are, assuming they're stock. Quick tip, though: If all of the slugs are screws, then they're likely XR7s. They look like this:

Guild-1982-X79-Pickups.jpg

Thanks GAD and dat's pretty looking Darkburst? SF there, man she's nice!!!

DrumBob

Reaction score
Buddy, I forgot tell you to come here for Guild advice, so I'm glad you found it.

Buddy and I are members over on gearpage.net, and as I'm a fan of the Newark Street SF-IV's, Buddy asked me for some advice before he bought that Starfire. I'm glad it all worked out well for him.

Buddy

Reaction score
Buddy, I forgot tell you to come here for Guild advice, so I'm glad you found it.

Buddy and I are members over on gearpage.net, and as I'm a fan of the Newark Street SF-IV's, Buddy asked me for some advice before he bought that Starfire. I'm glad it all worked out well for him.

Hey Bob!!! So yes after we chatted I started searching for more info on the SF4 and ran across this site so I joined :) -

Definitely appreciated your guidance and feedback, so thank you again Bob!