The Dreadmeister is temporarily down but not out

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I was hospitalized a couple weeks ago for shortness of breath, now I'm on supplemental oxygen. I intend this to be a temporary situation. All the tests came back good - heart, BP, all the blood tests, etc., so that's good. I had a nasty cold for 3 weeks leading up to my hospital visit, but I also have had some shortness of breath in the last few months. The primary prognosis is - lose weight and get more exercise. So I am on a mission to get this done. Already dieting, and starting on pulmonary rehab gym next week.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a sabbatical from leading music at Church and at Eldermusic. I just don't have the wind for it right now. But what's cool is that lots of my friends have stepped up to the plate, and the music goes on. I went to a couple Eldermusic events this week and I just sang along, same at Church. Actually, it's kind of nice to sit on the other side of the instruments for a change!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wishing you well, dread - you'll be back before you know it!

walrus

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wishing you a complete recovery and set realistic goals. Losing weight and keeping it off becomes a way of life-make good food choice but don't "beat yourself up" over backsliding, OCCASIONALLY- just let the rule be a healthy diet. Think moderation in food and consistency in exercise. You gotta a lot of music to sing and play.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Marc,

Sending good vibes up your way, my friend. Get after that rehab!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hang in there and do what the medical pros recommend and you'll be leading the choir again, before you know it. :eagerness:
*My own personal regimen includes intermittent fasting, essential oils, and exercise...seems to work for me.

Take care of yourself,
Joe

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
I assumed they've checked for and ruled out pneumonia? I just dealt with this after Labor Day - it was a pretty miserable time.

Best of luck on getting into better shape. I started my journey on May 2016, it's been a long two+ years, but I feel better and better. It's tough in the beginning but after a year it becomes like a habit.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all your concerns and kind words!

No pneumonia, no flu, thank goodness. Believe me, they checked everything while I was in the hospital for 6 days...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Get well.

You should be especially pleased people were willing and able to fill in for you. A lot of times we think "if I don't personally do it then it won't get done" and it is so nice to find out that is wrong.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Get well.

You should be especially pleased people were willing and able to fill in for you. A lot of times we think "if I don't personally do it then it won't get done" and it is so nice to find out that is wrong.

You've got that right, Frono! And I've been guilty of thinking exactly like that at times, until I get another requisite lesson in humility.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, take care dread!! All these little (and sometimes not so little) backslides are frustrating. Nice that you have good people around to step up to the plate and give you a little break! Take good care, amigo. I'm up, walking with my compression stocking and downgraded to a cane (which I hardly ever use) and my doc said on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being postop and 10 being totally rehabbed that at two weeks, I was at a 5!! That made my day and makes the pain of physical therapy a bit easier to endure.

Stay strong! Report back so we know how you're doing. :encouragement:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And the great news is you are already very well equipped for a pulmonary therapeutic method gaining traction in the medical community: Singing.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And the great news is you are already very well equipped for a pulmonary therapeutic method gaining traction in the medical community: Singing.
As someone who loves to sing (regardless of whether I'm good or entertaining) and does it regularly, my last hospital stay they showed up with this breath measuring thing (big plastic thing with a chamber that showed capacity and then a gauge showing the level and they insisted I'd have to do this thing before and after surgery and then 5 times per hour to make sure my lung capacity was good. Whatever. I blew into it and it went up to the top and then I stopped. She said, no..... see that range in the middle? Uh huh... keep it at that level for x amount of time. So I did my singing breath and blew........ kept that thing in the range for a super long time and finally she said, "Okay, that's good don't worry about it any more...." and no one tested me again. Now i'm sure my insurance was billed for the plastic thing they used and I doubt they use them over. What a waste but yeah.... singing is good for lung control and for breathing. So he's already ahead of the curve.....

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Hoping and knowing things will get better. From 215 to 185 lbs made me feel a lot better so you're on the right track Stay focused. Good luck