Unsolicited Kudos

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just want to offer up thanks and kudos to Tom Jacobs and his entire team for an excellent job done well.

I recently bought/traded for a really nice F-412 from a forum member. I couldn't be happier with the guitar and the transaction. But then as seems to happen often, another Tacoma built F-412 popped up on Reverb at a really low price. I talked to the owner who was selling it (very decent and upstanding seller) and he explained the reason was because of several issues which he further explained. We both concluded it was likely a candidate for a neck reset and other likely repairs as well. So, he discounted it even further and also agreed to ship it to Tom Jacobs in Florida (which saved me on added shipping costs so my thanks to the seller as well) for him to go over and evaluate.

I just received the guitar back from Tom and this thing plays almost effortlessly. In addition, he concluded a neck reset was not required. He did a neck repair, a fret level and dress and a set up including a new set of D'Addario strings. This is just an exceptional guitar. Now I need to decide which one to keep or maybe keep both because they are both wonderful. I've mentioned before that I'm not a big fan of 12 strings just because they seem to require a lot more work and attention. I will say, I believe I'm changing my thoughts on that.

By the way, Tom charged me less than 1/2 of what I thought the bill might be. I like dealing with honest. upstanding Luthiers who don't do needless work to increase repair costs. I know it goes without saying but if any forum members have a guitar that needs work beyond their capabilities, I would highly recommend you send it to Tom and his team. He'll treat you right and your guitar will come back to you in wonderful playing condition.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That has been one connsistant on the LTG forum the fourteen months I have been a member-Tom Jacobs is GOOD and will NOT gouge you on price and the guitar will be as close to new as possible.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom Jacobs and his team (his lovely wife included) are THE BEST!!! The only people I'd trust with my beloved Guild D65S after the dreaded Ambien incident. I played it last night and it sounds as good as ever and I went over the cracks and repairs that he did, marveling at the quality of work.

When in doubt, send it to Tom!! :encouragement:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I'll pass this on to Tom, folks. He may see it, but isn't a regular visitor.

And I must say we both felt that this particular F-412 was the best one either of us have ever played. And that takes in at least a few.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom Jacobs and his team (his lovely wife included) are THE BEST!!! The only people I'd trust with my beloved Guild D65S after the dreaded Ambien incident. I played it last night and it sounds as good as ever and I went over the cracks and repairs that he did, marveling at the quality of work.

When in doubt, send it to Tom!! :encouragement:

"The Ambien Incident" could be a great name for an album.

Also, I agree with the OP. Having had a couple of very rare Guilds worked on by him and his team, I can recommend them without hesitation.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thank you!

I'll pass this on to Tom, folks. He may see it, but isn't a regular visitor.

And I must say we both felt that this particular F-412 was the best one either of us have ever played. And that takes in at least a few.
You may have made up Richard"s mind for him-think he is leaning to keeping both 412s now. He deserves all good.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sending Tom a guitar, when the next warm spell comes around. Even going from So Cal to Florida, things can get quite cold here or places between. I wish I had thought to send it to him first, so I wouldn't be paying twice for the same repair.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sending Tom a guitar, when the next warm spell comes around. Even going from So Cal to Florida, things can get quite cold here or places between. I wish I had thought to send it to him first, so I wouldn't be paying twice for the same repair.
Ooooooh, that's rough, John!! What a rub!! But you know Tom can do it, if it can be done. And he'll be honest about it. I guess i'm grateful (???) that my accident happened during good shipping weather, you know? That's a weird thing to be grateful for, but I do understand it.....

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep. Spent $250 to get it fixed, and it's didn't hold, and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with how it matched up, when I picked it up. The guy seemed happy with it, so I figured it was the best I could hope for. Now that I have let it humidify for a number of weeks, it looks better than when I picked it up.