Oxnard "varnish" finish

beecee

Reaction score
I noticed a used Oxnard D-40 on line @ Guitar Center and decided to do a little research. I was under the impression that this was a $2,500 list price guitar and they had it used for $990

Much like NH, Oxnard builds 2 styles, the Traditional and what they call the "natural", like the Standard version from NH.

The Trad has all the expected appointments from the Chesterfield logo, 3 piece neck and Adk bracing. Big price swing as well, $2,400 v $1,600. The guitar @GC is a natural.

What I found interesting was while the Trad has an NCL finish the "natural" offers this:

An elegant and thin satin varnish finish gives this guitar its familiar broken-in look and feel, while allowing the tone woods to reach their optimal sonic potential.

Varnish???

I know they are technically the same though a varnish is typically referred to a finish you brush , not spray like lacquer.

Anyone have one or know what it looks like?

beecee

Reaction score
What a knuclehead!!!!!!

I just saw Adorshki''s thread on finishes.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HAAAAA HAAAAA!!! That was funny! One of the shortest lived threads ever! As i read your first post, I thought, "Yikes, obviously hasn't seen Al's Finishes post." That thread should have MORE than enough fact and supposition to keep you going for a while!!

Thanks for the chuckle, beecee!!! :encouragement:

beecee

Reaction score
Glad I could start your morning off right Thomas!

It was a good read, especially the Taylor/poly info.