DV 73 - how many were made?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, so here is MY take on the topic of the DV-7X and DV-8X models...

There were about 250 DV-72s made in 1993 and 1994. Altho' the SN lists include 197 DV-72s made in 1994 with AD72XXXX SNs, they DON'T include about 50 made in 1993 with LKXXXXXX SNs. An LTG member owns #43 of these 1993 made DV-72s, and I THINK I have seen an LK SN ending in 53 for sale. So I usually say ~250 DV-72s were made. The DV-72s came with turquoise, malachite (MK in SN), or pink coral (CL in SN) inlays in the fretboard, rosette, and on the bridge. I have SNs for 3 malachites (I own one and one other is owned by an LTG member), 3 corals (one is owned on LTG), and 26 turquoise DV-72s in a spreadsheet... suggesting that the majority (80%?) of the DV-72s are turquoise, ~10% malachite, and ~10% coral.

Guild SN lists include 52 DV-73s made in 1994 and 1995. I haven't seen anything to contradict this number (and I don't think Hans has mentioned there being any others not accounted for in the SN lists). The DV-73s have turquoise, red coral, black onyx and nickel silver inlays in the fretboard and rosette, and red coral, onyx and nickel silver inlay in the bridge... I haven't seen any other trim on a DV-73.

Although DV-72s and DV-73s FROM THE SAME YEAR (which would be 1994) are likely identical in everything except trim, all of the DV-72s were made in 1993 and 1994, and most DV-73s were made in 1995. There was a change in the bracing around the sound hole circa Dec 1994/Jan 1995 (more details and diagrams/images can be found in my blog on dreadnaught bracing: prior to '95, there was a flat sound hole reinforcement "plate" surrounding the soundhole; in 1995, that was changed to two thin braces flanking the sound hole. Thus, the sound hole bracing of MOST DV-73s (those made in 1995) is different than that of the DV-72s (made in 1993-94). My DV-73 is noticeably brighter in tone than my both of my DV-72s. Whether this is due to the different bracing, or just individual variation, I couldn't say... but I love all three!

Guild SN lists include 14 SNs for DV-74s made in 1996: AD740008 to AD740022. If we assume numbers 1-8 were made (in 1995?) then there were 22 DV-73s made. I have seen just one DV-74 for sale, on Craigslists in Atlanta and surrounding communities several years back. It went for sale several times with an asking price of $3000 (or was it $4K?), and never seemed to sell (at that time, DV-72s and 73s were going for ~$2K). In the pics, it appeared to look just like the DV-73s, but with PINK coral in place of the red coral found in DV-73s.

SN lists include ten DV-76s made in 1994. One came up for sale this past year, and was bought by a member of LTG. If I recall the pics correctly, it had pink coral wedges in pearl blocks for fret markers, pink coral triangle inlays in the bridge, and a pink coral rosette, all similar to the DV-72CL. But, the DV-76 also had pink coral purfling around the body.

SN lists include one DV-82 made in 1994. I have never seen one, so don't REALLY know what it might look like... But going off the DV-76, I'd like to think that it has the turquoise fret board markers, rosette, and bridge inlay of the DV-72s with added turquoise purfling around the body. I don't recall it being included in Guilds owned by Jerre Haskew... but maybe it was/is.

I feel privileged to be the current caretaker of three of these magnificent guitars, two DV-72s (one turquoise, one malachite) and a DV-73... my ability certainly doesn't warrant instruments of this caliber. But, I enjoy them, nonetheless... I have even contemplated adding another... under the right set of circumstances, I just might!

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All I know is that I want at least one of all of them ya'll talked about and I want it now.

I know I have said this before, but Richard I am just glad you reverted back to showing all your Guilds in your sig. Sometimes I just read thru them :)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The DV-72s came with turquoise, malachite (MK in SN), or pink coral (CL in SN) inlays in the fretboard, rosette, and on the bridge...

My browser and/or LTG are acting a little squirrely right now, so I am afraid to try to edit my previous post. The MK and CL suffixes are in the MODEL DESIGNATION of the DV-72 (ie: DV-72 NT MK), NOT the SN...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Markus, Chazmo and West for this precious info...I understood the HG's meaning soon after posting, and the 'V' for Vintage sounds obvious thinking backwards...
Seems like all DVs are rather outstanding guitars and now I will know if any show up...From some vids I listened to there must be more than just cosmetics to the way they sound : high grade woods yes, but probably some other changes like those you mentioned West...Sounds cool to my ears...
Many thanks.
When it comes to DV 74s, 76s and most of all 82s, I bet their price would put them out of reach, but thanks too Awagner...
Bernie, you're welcome, but I got the details pretty wrong! :) Glad my LTG brethren straightened things out here! :)

Reaction score
OK, so here is MY take on the topic of the DV-7X and DV-8X models...

There were about 250 DV-72s made in 1993 and 1994. Altho' the SN lists include 197 DV-72s made in 1994 with AD72XXXX SNs, they DON'T include about 50 made in 1993 with LKXXXXXX SNs. An LTG member owns #43 of these 1993 made DV-72s, and I THINK I have seen an LK SN ending in 53 for sale. So I usually say ~250 DV-72s were made. The DV-72s came with turquoise, malachite (MK in SN), or pink coral (CL in SN) inlays in the fretboard, rosette, and on the bridge. I have SNs for 3 malachites (I own one and one other is owned by an LTG member), 3 corals (one is owned on LTG), and 26 turquoise DV-72s in a spreadsheet... suggesting that the majority (80%?) of the DV-72s are turquoise, ~10% malachite, and ~10% coral.

Guild SN lists include 52 DV-73s made in 1994 and 1995. I haven't seen anything to contradict this number (and I don't think Hans has mentioned there being any others not accounted for in the SN lists). The DV-73s have turquoise, red coral, black onyx and nickel silver inlays in the fretboard and rosette, and red coral, onyx and nickel silver inlay in the bridge... I haven't seen any other trim on a DV-73.

Although DV-72s and DV-73s FROM THE SAME YEAR (which would be 1994) are likely identical in everything except trim, all of the DV-72s were made in 1993 and 1994, and most DV-73s were made in 1995. There was a change in the bracing around the sound hole circa Dec 1994/Jan 1995 (more details and diagrams/images can be found in my blog on dreadnaught bracing: prior to '95, there was a flat sound hole reinforcement "plate" surrounding the soundhole; in 1995, that was changed to two thin braces flanking the sound hole. Thus, the sound hole bracing of MOST DV-73s (those made in 1995) is different than that of the DV-72s (made in 1993-94). My DV-73 is noticeably brighter in tone than my both of my DV-72s. Whether this is due to the different bracing, or just individual variation, I couldn't say... but I love all three!

Guild SN lists include 14 SNs for DV-74s made in 1996: AD740008 to AD740022. If we assume numbers 1-8 were made (in 1995?) then there were 22 DV-73s made. I have seen just one DV-74 for sale, on Craigslists in Atlanta and surrounding communities several years back. It went for sale several times with an asking price of $3000 (or was it $4K?), and never seemed to sell (at that time, DV-72s and 73s were going for ~$2K). In the pics, it appeared to look just like the DV-73s, but with PINK coral in place of the red coral found in DV-73s.

SN lists include ten DV-76s made in 1994. One came up for sale this past year, and was bought by a member of LTG. If I recall the pics correctly, it had pink coral wedges in pearl blocks for fret markers, pink coral triangle inlays in the bridge, and a pink coral rosette, all similar to the DV-72CL. But, the DV-76 also had pink coral purfling around the body.

SN lists include one DV-82 made in 1994. I have never seen one, so don't REALLY know what it might look like... But going off the DV-76, I'd like to think that it has the turquoise fret board markers, rosette, and bridge inlay of the DV-72s with added turquoise purfling around the body. I don't recall it being included in Guilds owned by Jerre Haskew... but maybe it was/is.

I feel privileged to be the current caretaker of three of these magnificent guitars, two DV-72s (one turquoise, one malachite) and a DV-73... my ability certainly doesn't warrant instruments of this caliber. But, I enjoy them, nonetheless... I have even contemplated adding another... under the right set of circumstances, I just might!

Hey there! I just came across this thread today, somewhat fortuitously. I'm actually thinking about buying a DV73, but I'm trying to reconcile the model # with the serial #. The model number as written in the guitar is DV73-NT HG, but the serial number suggests it's a DV72 (AD720177). I'm curious if anyone has any insight here, or knows what this might be? Could it be a fake? See the pic here.

Curious to know your thoughts. Thanks!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey there! I just came across this thread today, somewhat fortuitously. I'm actually thinking about buying a DV73, but I'm trying to reconcile the model # with the serial #. The model number as written in the guitar is DV73-NT HG, but the serial number suggests it's a DV72 (AD720177). I'm curious if anyone has any insight here, or knows what this might be? Could it be a fake? See the pic here.

It does not appear to be a fake. Looks like a legit DV73 to me. More likely a serial # labeling error. The serial number should also be stamped on the back of the headstock. See if you can get a picture of that portion of the guitar. My guess is that it will bear the correct s/n.

Bernie

Reaction score
You got the "HG" meaning right Chazmo (thi$ was my question), and it wouldn't surprise me to get to know that the braces are different from standard Guild dreadnoughts' like D55s for instance (from the way they seem to sound). The bracing on Vintage Martins for instance (like in the so called Golden Era) was quite different from what it became later on, and maybe Guild did something inspired by that era on their own Vinage series (??). Maybe DVs have thinner top woods too like West suggests...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpfeH-a-q9Q

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You got the "HG" meaning right Chazmo (thi$ was my question), and it wouldn't surprise me to get to know that the braces are different from standard Guild dreadnoughts' like D55s for instance (from the way they seem to sound). Maybe DVs have thinner top woods too like West suggests...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpfeH-a-q9Q

West was referring to the description of the DV design details in Guild Gallery #1, and nothing was said about thinner top woods even though one would tend to expect it.
I myself extrapolated comments about sanding the backs and sides to include sanding the tops a la "tap tuning", but again, nothing specifically about tops was said except for the AAA spec.
Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I suspect more likely that the marketing person who wrote the blurb wasn't necessarily privy to all of the little tricks used that Guild builders may well have NOT wanted to reveal to the rest of the world.

I quote Guild Gallery #1 pg 14 for the umpteenth time:

"The DV series** guitars are the product of research into how to tune the bodies and tops*** of these dreadnought guitars to sound like vintage guitars.
The DV6 has a solid mahogany back and sides that have ben sanded down.
The mahogany neck and endblock have been specially selected for light weight and superior strength.
The top is double-A graded sitka spruce and has shaved braces that provide strength while reducing weight.
The DV-52 is built to the same exacting standards with solid rosewood back and sides and with an ebony fretboard and bridge.
The solid spruce top has Guild scalloped bracing.
The DV-52 is widely recognized as the best value in the acoustic realm and it was chosen as the basis for the Guild Custom shop models."

Notes:
**= I note now the use of the term "series" and now believe it is intended to include the previous out-of-production DV models, the '62, '72, etc.
I suspect that the reason they were dropped at almost exactly the same time as when Fender bought Guild is that Fender was looking to simplify/cut production costs of Westerly and knew they'd be opening up the Custom Shop within a couple of years as mentioned in that blurb from late '97.
THEN they could come back with the ultra-high-end stuff.
***= Yeah I know they say "tune bodies and tops" but that could be as simple as the bracing or include a thinner spec. In any case, the next sentence only says the backs and sides are sanded, which as my original point..
One would think that if the top received special attention that would have been pointed out, being a desirable detail normally only found in a boutique build?
But we've seen goofs in Guild marketing lit, too.
For instance they neglected to mention that DV-52's also got AAA tops according to the spec sheet in that same issue.
So who really knows?
Somebody who can take a caliper to his DV tops and compare it to his standard production tops.
Deep down I suspect it's going to turn out to be all about the bracing and the fact that Guild's wood buyer Willie Fritscher was very good at his job and Guild's top wood was just generally excellent under his regime.
I think Gardman's comments about the bracing differences in the DV-7x models are the best first-hand owner feedback on internal build details I've ever seen.

Welcome aboard, San Fran!
As Awagner said the most likely reason is an actual label-writer error, it wasn't unknown although pretty uncommon by the time these guitars were being made.
In fact at first I thought it might be one of the situations where the DV72 and 73 actually shared the same s/n sequence, which is a known phenomenon for a couple of other closely-related dreadnought models like the D4/D25 but the s/n charts say otherwise:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf
As for "Fake"?
Not that one.
Guild fakes are usually pretty sloppy for one thing, and that rosette is definitely genuine.
It'd probably cost more to fake that than could be recovered
And the labels are almost invariably incorrect as well, in terms of being "period correct" or even a legitimate Guild label style.
However, I feel duty-bound to warn you that a search for a DV-73 is likely to be long and arduous, as we tried to explain to another hopeful new member just recently:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197122-New-Member-Intro-WTB

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

As AWagner suggests, that looks like a legitimate DV-73 rosette, but definitely a DV-72 label and SN. The SN on the label would correspond to a 1994 DV-72. I would expect the DV-73 it is on to be from the same year... so would expect the SN to be between AD730001 and AD730014. Again, as AWagner suggests, check the back of the headstock for the imprinted SN. Let us know what you find...

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You got the "HG" meaning right Chazmo (thi$ was my question), and it wouldn't surprise me to get to know that the braces are different from standard Guild dreadnoughts' like D55s for instance (from the way they seem to sound)...
The scalloped braces on my (now sold) '92 D-55 (at least superficially) appeared identical to those on my two DV-72s, including the sound hole reinforcing plate... in fact, I first noticed that style of sound hole bracing on my D-55. I sold my D-55 before I started making the "Henkograms," so I do not know how the LOCATION of the braces might differ. I never measured the thickness of the tops, so can't comment on that aspect of the top...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
This is one reason I've always wanted a Volume II Dave. I wanted to talk Hans into doing a chapter dedicated to DV's.

West

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is one reason I've always wanted a Volume II Dave. I wanted to talk Hans into doing a chapter dedicated to DV's.
West
Maybe we could offer to proof read that chapter for him!:fat:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Al,

My "Guild Gallery" Number 1, Winter '97-'98 (with Richie Havens on the cover) states, "The DV6 has solid back and sides which have been sanded down", so I'd always assumed all DV's had. Page 14, DV6/DV52.

West

West was referring to the description of the DV design details in Guild Gallery #1, and nothing was said about thinner top woods even though one would tend to expect it.
I myself extrapolated comments about sanding the backs and sides to include sanding the tops a la "tap tuning", but again, nothing specifically about tops was said except for the AAA spec.
Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I suspect more likely that the marketing person who wrote the blurb wasn't necessarily privy to all of the little tricks used that Guild builders may well have NOT wanted to reveal to the rest of the world.

I quote Guild Gallery #1 pg 14 for the umpteenth time:

"The DV series** guitars are the product of research into how to tune the bodies and tops*** of these dreadnought guitars to sound like vintage guitars.
The DV6 has a solid mahogany back and sides that have ben sanded down.
The mahogany neck and endblock have been specially selected for light weight and superior strength.
The top is double-A graded sitka spruce and has shaved braces that provide strength while reducing weight.
The DV-52 is built to the same exacting standards with solid rosewood back and sides and with an ebony fretboard and bridge.
The solid spruce top has Guild scalloped bracing.
The DV-52 is widely recognized as the best value in the acoustic realm and it was chosen as the basis for the Guild Custom shop models."

Notes:
**= I note now the use of the term "series" and now believe it is intended to include the previous out-of-production DV models, the '62, '72, etc.
I suspect that the reason they were dropped at almost exactly the same time as when Fender bought Guild is that Fender was looking to simplify/cut production costs of Westerly and knew they'd be opening up the Custom Shop within a couple of years as mentioned in that blurb from late '97.
THEN they could come back with the ultra-high-end stuff.
***= Yeah I know they say "tune bodies and tops" but that could be as simple as the bracing or include a thinner spec. In any case, the next sentence only says the backs and sides are sanded, which as my original point..
One would think that if the top received special attention that would have been pointed out, being a desirable detail normally only found in a boutique build?
But we've seen goofs in Guild marketing lit, too.
For instance they neglected to mention that DV-52's also got AAA tops according to the spec sheet in that same issue.
So who really knows?
Somebody who can take a caliper to his DV tops and compare it to his standard production tops.
Deep down I suspect it's going to turn out to be all about the bracing and the fact that Guild's wood buyer Willie Fritscher was very good at his job and Guild's top wood was just generally excellent under his regime.
I think Gardman's comments about the bracing differences in the DV-7x models are the best first-hand owner feedback on internal build details I've ever seen.

Welcome aboard, San Fran!
As Awagner said the most likely reason is an actual label-writer error, it wasn't unknown although pretty uncommon by the time these guitars were being made.
In fact at first I thought it might be one of the situations where the DV72 and 73 actually shared the same s/n sequence, which is a known phenomenon for a couple of other closely-related dreadnought models like the D4/D25 but the s/n charts say otherwise:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf
As for "Fake"?
Not that one.
Guild fakes are usually pretty sloppy for one thing, and that rosette is definitely genuine.
It'd probably cost more to fake that than could be recovered
And the labels are almost invariably incorrect as well, in terms of being "period correct" or even a legitimate Guild label style.
However, I feel duty-bound to warn you that a search for a DV-73 is likely to be long and arduous, as we tried to explain to another hopeful new member just recently:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197122-New-Member-Intro-WTB

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al,

My "Guild Gallery" Number 1, Winter '97-'98 (with Richie Havens on the cover) states, "The DV6 has solid back and sides which have been sanded down", so I'd always assumed all DV's had. Page 14, DV6/DV52.

West

I repeat Bernie's post:
Maybe DVs have thinner top woods too like West suggests...
I repeat my post:
I'm outta here.

Reaction score
As AWagner suggests, that looks like a legitimate DV-73 rosette, but definitely a DV-72 label and SN. The SN on the label would correspond to a 1994 DV-72. I would expect the DV-73 it is on to be from the same year... so would expect the SN to be between AD730001 and AD730014. Again, as AWagner suggests, check the back of the headstock for the imprinted SN. Let us know what you find...

UPDATE: So this guitar is in a shop, my dad found it and texted me about it today and I've been trying to do some research on it (hence finding this forum and joining the discussion). Going back through the pics he sent, I actually do have one of the back of the headstock, which appears to confirm the serial number on the label is correct: AD720177. It's tricky to see in the pic, but I can barely make it out.

I'm confused how the model could read DV-73 with this serial number. It seems the most logical explanation is a misprint of the model number. So I'm guessing it actually is a DV-72, but with a DV-73 rosette? What do you think?

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Bernie, I believe the differences in the DV-72 vs. DV-73 models were purely cosmetic. I'm pretty sure that there weren't any DV-72s that had the turquoise or malachite (green) inlays. But, I don't know if that's the only difference between -72s and -73s, and I don't know if any -73s were made with other design motifs. Oh, and yes, Markus is right about the "High Gloss" nomenclature. In truth, I really doubt any DV-73 models were made with satin or hand-rubbed finishes... These were the showcases of the DV series.

There's a lot of love here for the DV-52, DV-72, DV-73, etc. around here. I'm sure there are some folks who know more, but my memory (possibly faulty) is that the DVs from that era were made with specific kind of bracing, and the intent (I believe) was to provide a "Vintage" sound (which is presumably where the "V" came from).
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am curious as to why some, and not all, DV-7X labels have the added “HG”. I have seen a few of these “HG”s for sale yet my #147 AD label just reads DV-72 NT.

End of run label writer sloppiness? Made on Friday and need to punch out early?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Dan,

I think you're going to have to rely on Dave's post earlier as probably your guitar was a transitional model that may have been built before marketing decided on a new model name for the various appointments. AFAIK, Hans Moust is the only one who has some of the factory papers which might shed a little more light on the subject, but really I doubt you'll get more clarity. There really are many instances of this kind of transitional thing. Anyway, just to re-post a snippet of what Dave said... This is probably the best we can do for you:

[ . . . ]Guild SN lists include 52 DV-73s made in 1994 and 1995. I haven't seen anything to contradict this number (and I don't think Hans has mentioned there being any others not accounted for in the SN lists). The DV-73s have turquoise, red coral, black onyx and nickel silver inlays in the fretboard and rosette, and red coral, onyx and nickel silver inlay in the bridge... I haven't seen any other trim on a DV-73.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am curious as to why some, and not all, DV-7X labels have the added “HG”. I have seen a few of these “HG”s for sale yet my #147 AD label just reads DV-72 NT.

End of run label writer sloppiness? Made on Friday and need to punch out early?

Not sure I understand your question if you noticed that HG is High Gloss. If EVERY DV-7x has a high gloss finish then the presence/absence is almost certainly error. But if there were finish options then this is what we expect.

I wonder if the HG labels have the same hand writing? It is easy to imagine someone who was used to putting HG on the labels of other models doing that on a DV-7x even thought it was not required.