DV 73 - how many were made?

highwayman

Reaction score
Hi everybody at LTG,

I am new to the LTG forum, based in Germany. I am glad to have found LTG and thank you all for making it such a valuable source of information! I am the proud owner of a Guild DV-73, a wonderful guitar. I have read many times on the internet that only about 50 were made. However, looking at the various internet listings on "Dating your Guild guitar", it seems that not even 40 were made, one in 1994, the rest in 1995 (mine has the number 21 in 1995). What is the correct total number of DV-73s made in Westerly? Thanks for clarifying!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, highwayman!

DV-73 is a wonderful axe. No idea how many were made, but someone might know.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Highwayman,
Welcome to LTG!

Guilds SN lists include 14 DV-73s in 1994 (AD730001-AD730014) and 38 in 1995 (AD730015-AD730052) for a total of 52. Guild SN lists are notoriously incomplete and often in error, so I usually quote "about 50" as the number of DV-73s made (I have one just 2 numbers from yours). Hans Moust may have a better idea on the precise number.

4-6 of the DV-73s are owned by members of LTG.

Enjoy your Guild!

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG Highwayman!!! I have only seen the DV73 in pictures but man what a spectacular looking guitar.
I knew it was a rare one but I had no idea they made so few.

Bernie

Reaction score
The guitar looks very nice - I had a look at the other thread -
Congrats...
What wood was used for the back and sides ?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting tidbit Dave, I would think that # would be higher.
It very well might be... but I can only vouch for 4 DV-73s in LTG ownership (I have 18 DV-72s being owned by LTGers, tho' there is some uncertainty in that number, as well). If DV-73 owners want to PM me (w/ or w/o SNs), I can update my records and perhaps come back with a better guestimate.

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
What are the differences between DV 73s and DV 72s (first thought it might come from back and sides' wood but ir seems to be the same, rosewood I read - thanks Chazmo -). And what does the 'HG' in guitar's "name" mean (I've briefly wondered if that could mean mahogany as people sometimes refer to it as "hog".., but it didn't look right).
Thanks

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Bernie,
AFAIK hg stands for high gloss.

Markus :smile:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bernie, I believe the differences in the DV-72 vs. DV-73 models were purely cosmetic. I'm pretty sure that there weren't any DV-72s that had the turquoise or malachite (green) inlays. But, I don't know if that's the only difference between -72s and -73s, and I don't know if any -73s were made with other design motifs. Oh, and yes, Markus is right about the "High Gloss" nomenclature. In truth, I really doubt any DV-73 models were made with satin or hand-rubbed finishes... These were the showcases of the DV series.

There's a lot of love here for the DV-52, DV-72, DV-73, etc. around here. I'm sure there are some folks who know more, but my memory (possibly faulty) is that the DVs from that era were made with specific kind of bracing, and the intent (I believe) was to provide a "Vintage" sound (which is presumably where the "V" came from).

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thinner woods were used in the DV's as well, according to some old Guild Gallery magazines I've got. All of the DV's from the 72 through the 82 were identical, with the exception of the inlay. All DV72's were inlaid with either turquoise of malachite, and the malachite guitars are designated in the serial # with an "MK". I think the official/unofficial number of DV72's built were 197, that would include both the turquoise and malachite guitars. Then the DV73, of which there were approximately 50 built (Dave says 52 and might be right), are identical guitars to the 72, but have a much wider rosette that includes coral and onyx along with the turquoise. Both absolutely incredible guitars both in terms of beauty and tone. The DV74, DV76 and DV82 are identical guitars as well, with different stone inlay. All beautiful. I can't remember how many 74's were made, but it seems like 14 or so. I'm also unsure about the 76 and 82, but I think there may have just been one or two DV82's built. Truly collector's guitars that sound and play like $1,000,000.

West

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
All DV72's were inlaid with either turquoise of malachite, and the malachite guitars are designated in the serial # with an "MK".

West

There is also a third variant of the DV72, with Pink Coral inlays (I believe the serial # suffix is CL).

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't remember how many 74's were made, but it seems like 14 or so. I'm also unsure about the 76 and 82, but I think there may have just been one or two DV82's built. Truly collector's guitars that sound and play like $1,000,000.

West

According to the serial # chart, which may or may not be accurate, there were 22 DV74s, 10 DV76s and 1 DV82 produced.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
And that sure could be the case, as I'd said, I was/am unsure about the numbers of 74's, 76's and 82's built, except for the 82, I was pretty sure there was one built and member Jerry Haskew owns/owned it. Makes you wonder what happened to the DV78 and DV80, doesn't it?

West

According to the serial # chart, which may or may not be accurate, there were 22 DV74s, 10 DV76s and 1 DV82 produced.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Bernie

Reaction score
Thanks Markus, Chazmo and West for this precious info...I understood the HG's meaning soon after posting, and the 'V' for Vintage sounds obvious thinking backwards...
Seems like all DVs are rather outstanding guitars and now I will know if any show up...From some vids I listened to there must be more than just cosmetics to the way they sound : high grade woods yes, but probably some other changes like those you mentioned West...Sounds cool to my ears...
Many thanks.
When it comes to DV 74s, 76s and most of all 82s, I bet their price would put them out of reach, but thanks too Awagner...