Kelly Joe Phelps and Guild

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Coastie!!!! Nice to hear from you. Happy New Year.

This is some nice playing, but something about the recording.... Are you guys hearing the bass strings at all? I see him striking them in the viddie but don't hear it. I wonder if that's his pickup or what? Could be my system. (?)

Bernie

Reaction score
Chazmo, it works fine on my computer...

Thanks Coastie for this video : I didn't know much about Kelly Joe Phelps before seeing this video...I like his style and playing, and it's good to see him play (first time I see what he looks like)...
What's that guitar he has ? A D-something obviously, but what number...Sounds good !

Berne

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Really nice player. My sound system is very HiFi - the first song he played - low strings were quite faint except at places like the end - about 1:30 - where he plays the final line.

When I turn volume up the low notes come out better, but even then they should be a bit louder. Of course that's only my opinion.

As if his thumb were softer than other fingers. Maybe he does that on purpose.

Joy to listen.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chazmo, it works fine on my computer...

Thanks Coastie for this video : I didn't know much about Kelly Joe Phelps before seeing this video...I like his style and playing, and it's good to see him play (first time I see what he looks like)...
What's that guitar he has ? A D-something obviously, but what number...Sounds good !

Berne

Hey, Bernie, that's a good question about the model of his guitar. This is probably a "Gruhn-era" guitar, with the snakehead Chesterfield headstock... The abalone rosette is interesting because I don't recall seeing that outside the D-55 (which this isn't, of course)...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
[ . . . ] low strings were quite faint except at places like the end - about 1:30 - where he plays the final line.

When I turn volume up the low notes come out better, but even then they should be a bit louder. Of course that's only my opinion.

As if his thumb were softer than other fingers. Maybe he does that on purpose.

Joy to listen.
Yeah, I think that's what I meant, Nuuska. It was really the first thing I noticed. You're right, they're audible at the end of that lick at 1:30... I think you're probably right that it's intentional... Soft thumb picking is probably the reason.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's that guitar he has ?
It's a Westerly made DV-52ABHG from the 90ies with a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic (EDIT: It's a Sunrise pickup, not the SD Mag Mic as Hans corrected me!) in the soundhole. The strings are D’Addario 80/20 mediums. He uses a Shubb capo.

51pPcqk1JoL._SY445_.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
That top looks just like my DV52. Mine doesn't have ABHG included. Notice the missing TRC.

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
Very well, Ralph. Good to know. ABHG would be "antique burst" and "high gloss" I think.

Yes, all I have is the DV52 designation, I guess the rest is up to me?

Ralph

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey, Coastie!!!! Nice to hear from you. Happy New Year.

This is some nice playing, but something about the recording.... Are you guys hearing the bass strings at all? I see him striking them in the viddie but don't hear it. I wonder if that's his pickup or what? Could be my system. (?)

Thanks Chaz, and very warm New Year wishes to all.

Here's a video of KJP that I posted a year or three ago. Many won't have seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSCeN01BFA

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy New Year Gary! I seem to remember a Kelly Joe Phelps signature model that was made in Tacoma some years back, but I can't seem to find any info on it now. Might be a geezer moment!

Bernie

Reaction score
It's a Westerly made DV-52ABHG from the 90ies with a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic in the soundhole. The strings are D’Addario 80/20 mediums. He uses a Shubb capo.

51pPcqk1JoL._SY445_.jpg

Ralf
Thanks Ralf, but you didn't say what day the strings have been put on the guitar...! (or at least what week) :fat:

Just kidding of course. That's a very precise answer : I had been watching quite a few DVs lately (mostly DV 72s and 73s), but I hadn't been able to identify a DV 52...The rather unusual colour fooled me I bet...
So thanks very much...

Chazmo (and others...) : it's quite right after all that the bass notes are a bit weak : it didn't bothered me first when I listened to the first track, but I now understand better after listening to it a 2nd time. Probably more of an aesthetic choice I'd say, but maybe the pick-up (or the guitar) is a bit under-mixed (?)... Still like it this way...

Thank you

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He may very well have one of those units, but that's a Sunrise pickup!
Thanks for the correction! You are correct! I should have looked better at the video, yes, only 6 pole pieces and not 12... I had read the following here: "Now, like many acoustic slide players, he uses a Sunrise pickup, but he installed a new Seymour Duncan Mag Mic, a combination of magnetic pickup and internal microphone, on his Guild". That's why on quick look it looked on the DVD like a SD Mag Mic.

Ralf, did a lot of the DV-52s have abalone rosettes?
As Volume II is still not available I can only guess the HG versions all had abalone rosettes and the satin versions came with herringbone rosettes.

Ralf

Last edited: