Happy B-Day Stephen Stills

CA-35

Reaction score
Stephen Arthur Stills is 74 today. My favorite guitarist and singer. A 100 more Stephen!!!!!!!!!!

235px-StephenStillsMay2007.jpg

59ec2f95859d4f6f46128f7a35009d26e36428cd

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm with ya. Big fan of his as well. My favorite song he did was "Black Queen". Never released as a single and never became big but he played it exceptionally well I think.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
He's the reason I picked up an acoustic guitar: Listening to "Bluebird" on Buffalo Springfield Again in '68 or '69 I wanted to sound like him and his old Martin. It's not going to happen but it is still fun trying to get there.

I picked up Both Sides of The Sky earlier this year - has some interesting previously-unreleased Jimi Hendrix sessions, including a really fine version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" with Jimi (on bass and multi-tracked guitars), Stills on organ, and Buddy Miles on drums.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with ya. Big fan of his as well. My favorite song he did was "Black Queen". Never released as a single and never became big but he played it exceptionally well I think.

Love the album credit for that song: "Was recorded live & the performance is courtesy of Jose Cuervo Gold Label Tequila."

CA-35

Reaction score
He owns a pre-war Martin D-45 that is worth over a hundred thousand dollars.

As far as songs I don't know where to begin I love them all: Church, Change Partners, Johnny's Garden, Do for the Others, Thoroughfare Gap, So Begins the Task, Hide it So Deep, and on and on and on...........

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He owns a pre-war Martin D-45 that is worth over a hundred thousand dollars.

As far as songs I don't know where to begin I love them all: Church, Change Partners, Johnny's Garden, Do for the Others, Thoroughfare Gap, So Begins the Task, Hide it So Deep, and on and on and on...........

Tree Top Flyer is great and best live. This video he kills it: https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU

He was my fave of the 4. Neil is just too much, Graham I just don't know much about, David very interesting but crazy. Stills seemed to be the one. IMHO.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was always stunned by his right hand playing. Never seen him with a pick. What a great and unique style he has.

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Birthday to one of the musical icons of my youth!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I like these interviews from 1973: https://youtu.be/W8jjXrTPGN0

he jams on old martins and talks a lot :)

Thanks for sharing this. Admittedly, though I respect his talent, I've never been too into Stephen Stills solo without those other guys, but I love watching laid back, intimate interviews like this. Very interesting to hear the stories of where an artist comes from!

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for sharing this. Admittedly, though I respect his talent, I've never been too into Stephen Stills solo without those other guys, but I love watching laid back, intimate interviews like this. Very interesting to hear the stories of where an artist comes from!

i agree that stills is better with a supporting cast. the first Manassas album is a crowning achievement, and it blows my mind he was just 24 years old at the time. those were different times.

https://youtu.be/iKmlcb4HSLM

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stephen Stills with his Guild Duane Eddy DE-400 Standard:

SteveStills_1.jpg

Ralf

Last edited: