Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ngd f-112!

Today 07:04 PM
    Hmm you all know I'm on out in left field . I don't think that's from the truss rod but I'd need to check the depth of the crack to better understand .
    It could be just a weak spot in the wood which from temp fluxes over the yrs became to much . Maybe lol

If it was me I'd wheel and deal my *** off then start planning the repair.

The top looks amazing how does she sound ?

If you can get a good deal I feel it's totally repairable but if the neck to far gone all that means it's time for a new one lol

I know I'm nuts but like Neal I like basket cases. I also have a friend in California unfortunately his health is not to good but he has been doing mind blowing neck repairs that most all would have said "not possible" I follow his lead, one amazing guy !

Just food for thought !
    If you send it back PM me your price paid if it's ok . 😁

thats a shame. criminal that whoever sold u that at GC did not disclose. unless it happened during shipping. it might be playable still for a long time, and I dont mind action a touch highr than most, but most of us would return it in that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    Today 07:04 PM
    Hmm you all know I'm on out in left field.
    NO prob, how's the weather out there?

I don't think that's from the truss rod but I'd need to check the depth of the crack to better understand .
    It could be just a weak spot in the wood which from temp fluxes over the yrs became to much . Maybe lol
    Ray, we've only ever seen cracks on the back of Guild 12-string necks, that I can recall, anyway.
    I've never seen a crack like that on the back of any other kind of Guild neck.
    That I can recall, anyway.

If you can get a good deal I feel it's totally repairable but if the neck to far gone all that means it's time for a new one lol
    Right, all ya gotta do is pop off the fretboard and get the rods out of the heelblock so you can access the truss channel(s) for inspection.
    Hell maybe just pop 'em out with a crowbar, it's a GUILD, it's built like a tank, it can handle it.
    After confirming it really is a crack right through to the truss channel I'd pull out my trusty ol' Dremel, and, doing my best impersonation of a dentist, proceed to open it up just like a cavity being prepped for a filling.
    NO need to skimp on filling material BTW, marine epoxy is cheap, weatherproof, and best of all, extremely durable.
    It IS a 12-string neck, after all.
    If you really want to spare no expense then you may even want to spring for some good ol' JB Weld ExtremeHeat:

But the marine epoxy will take the stain better.
    For the aesthetic-minded.
    After that just glue that fretboard back down.
    (Don't forget to re-install the truss rods).
    Best of all you don't even have to take the neck off to do this.
    And yes if one should decide all that's a bit outside their comfort zone, well then just snag one of those rescue dog or NOS necks on eBay like that one that popped up back in '09.
    Or for those just champin' at the bit, try StewMac:

And just yesterday Walrus saw a listing for a bunch of old headstock faceplates for a truly faithful reproduction:
    The guy describes it as a BIG lot so they should last you for a while.

Who loves ya baby?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    thats a shame. criminal that whoever sold u that at GC did not disclose. unless it happened during shipping.
    Nope. See post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    (He's quoting Gilded, here):Look at the back of the neck where the bass side truss rod would be located. I think there may be a small truss rod crack.

Have one of those experts look at it and run there hand over it and see if they feel a crack before they ship it.

[/I]

I heeded Gilded's advice and they said there was nothing. Hmmm.
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-12-2019 at 02:01 AM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Wick in some red epoxy and that may be all you need. Mine has held for years.
    GUILD:1976 F-112
    2001 F-212XL
    1978 G-312
    1990 JF-65 12
    1990 F-512
    TAYLOR: 2002 614 LTD
    2003 600 SPECce 12
    2004 855ce
    2004 855ce all koa
    5 Gibsons, a Goya and a Martin

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    NO prob, how's the weather out there?

Ray, we've only ever seen cracks on the back of Guild 12-string necks, that I can recall, anyway.
    I've never seen a crack like that on the back of any other kind of Guild neck.
    That I can recall, anyway.

Right, all ya gotta do is pop off the fretboard and get the rods out of the heelblock so you can access the truss channel(s) for inspection.
    Hell maybe just pop 'em out with a crowbar, it's a GUILD, it's built like a tank, it can handle it.
    After confirming it really is a crack right through to the truss channel I'd pull out my trusty ol' Dremel, and, doing my best impersonation of a dentist, proceed to open it up just like a cavity being prepped for a filling.
    NO need to skimp on filling material BTW, marine epoxy is cheap, weatherproof, and best of all, extremely durable.
    It IS a 12-string neck, after all.
    If you really want to spare no expense then you may even want to spring for some good ol' JB Weld ExtremeHeat:

But the marine epoxy will take the stain better.
    For the aesthetic-minded.
    After that just glue that fretboard back down.
    (Don't forget to re-install the truss rods).
    Best of all you don't even have to take the neck off to do this.
    And yes if one should decide all that's a bit outside their comfort zone, well then just snag one of those rescue dog or NOS necks on eBay like that one that popped up back in '09.
    Or for those just champin' at the bit, try StewMac:

And just yesterday Walrus saw a listing for a bunch of old headstock faceplates for a truly faithful reproduction:
    The guy describes it as a BIG lot so they should last you for a while.

Who loves ya baby?!?!

Nope. See post #1:
    In my defense I was drinking last night . I've slacked off but treated myself to a few bottles of stupidity.

That thing has two truss rods ? Wow I would think it's a bit of a over kill for that size guitar .

Anyway a shame I see that BC sending it back ,I missed that because of the above disclaimer lol

But I would love the project and challenge of repair. :)

That thing has two truss rods ?
    Yes.

Ralf

If it was me I would return it. It was grossly misrepresented. You’ll lose bigly if you ever try to sell it. There will be other nice 112’s to come along without that kind of hassle.
    1979 Guild F-112 SB
    1990 Gibson ES-347
    2012 Guild F-30 Std
    2015 Martin OM-28 VTS
    2015 Alvarez MFA-70
    2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
    If it was me I would return it. It was grossly misrepresented. You’ll lose bigly if you ever try to sell it. There will be other nice 112’s to come along without that kind of hassle.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gu...stic-Guitar.gc

Done.

They did a nice job cleaning up the crack!
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard
    NH 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog
    NH 2010 F-412
    NH 2010 F-512
    NH 2012 F-30R Standard

Westerly Songbird
    Westerly JF-30-12
    Westerly 1976 F-212
    Westerly 1971 D-25 CH
    Westerly 1982 D-70
    Westerly F4CE
    Westerly 1996 D-26...D for damaged by dummies

Westerly Series OM-140 SB

Ibanez V-302

Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    Done.
    I think that was best. There are lots of fish in the sea!
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    1991 Guild JF30-12 Ltd. Ed. Wood Grain Blue
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    Yes.

Ralf