The hits just a keep on coming D-26 with shipping damage

beecee

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a D-26 the other day for a reasonable price. Advertised in "great" condition.

Guitar shows up with no case..not the first time. Oops we fergot.

Removing the bubble wrap all looks excellent, (really a lovely guitar with the lighter hog stain white binding and gold tuners), until the kid at the counter says uh oh Bill.

The bubble wrap was stuck in a dent about my index finger wide by just shy of 2".

See below.

xDhRb00.jpg
[/IMG]

Better shot without flash

jYtVb6v.jpg
[/IMG]

Seam at end pin is solid. It sounded so nice and except for this shipping nightmare it is beautiful. They offered me a heck of a deal, I took it.

beecee

Reaction score
PZD5M4d.jpg
[/IMG]

xWxMQID.jpg
[/IMG]

EdP0RRW.jpg
[/IMG]

ZZHGrvk.jpg
[/IMG]

yb6f7oj.jpg
[/IMG]

zero fret wear....

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any recourse with shipping insurance, ebay, etc? Maybe they will pay for the repair?

Not insurmountable damage, certainly repairable. If it had to be damaged, better there than on the top or headstock, etc.

Good luck and enjoy the sweet tones from that baby. What year?

beecee

Reaction score
The binding has an interesting pattern to it that runs along the heel cap and binding.

75iN3xn.jpg
[/IMG]

beecee

Reaction score
It's a 1996. Been looking for an arch backed D-25 for a long time.

This will certainly do!

OOPS EDIT: It is a March 1995 per heel block

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pulled the trigger on a D-26 the other day for a reasonable price. Advertised in "great" condition.

Love to hear that trigger pulling! Congrats! What the heck is a D-26? :distant:

...Removing the bubble wrap all looks excellent, (really a lovely guitar with the lighter hog stain white binding and gold tuners), until the kid at the counter says uh oh Bill.

The bubble wrap was stuck in a dent about my index finger wide by just shy of 2".

If you're going to have a dent, that's the place for it. I imagine that's a fairly easy fix for a luthier.

Seam at end pin is solid. It sounded so nice and except for this shipping nightmare it is beautiful. They offered me a heck of a deal, I took it.

Heck yeah! Well done! Nice score!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, gosh, that is such a shame, but I'm really glad you gave it a home, BC. The rest of the guitar looks great!

beecee

Reaction score
If you're going to have a dent, that's the place for it. I imagine that's a fairly easy fix for a luthier.

Here's a better angle. Bit more than a dent I guess.

4rqgmuK.jpg
[/IMG]

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to hear about the damage, but the D26 I owned was by far the best D25 I've ever played, and gave up very little to the rest of the herd despite being less than 1/5 of the price of a few of them. I would get it fixed and enjoy it. GREAT guitars, and pretty, too. Here's mine, last seen with TexasDave. It had a superb top, and I loved the unstained hog sides and back.

9394181985_cd34250068_b.jpg

F312

Reaction score
I had one and must say it was a nice guitar for all the right reasons.

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Love to hear that trigger pulling! Congrats! What the heck is a D-26

Special run of D-25's for Guitar Center featuring the unstained back and sides, gold hardware, and white binding.
:friendly_wink:

It's a 1996. Been looking for an arch backed D-25 for a long time.
This will certainly do!
OOPS EDIT: It is a March 1995 per heel block
Or at least, that's when the "rim" was completed just before the top was put on.
Actual "finished and ready to ship" date was anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months after that date, but it certainly is a "can't be any older than that" date.
Suspect in this case they were sending 'em out to GC just as fast as they could.
And truth to tell I like the date in my D25 so much I use it as the "born on" date.
(see my sig)
Initially was gonna rag all over GC for yet another goof up, but glad to see it is eminently fixable.
I like that unstained 'hog look myself.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The unstained sides DO look great! Congratulations!

walrus

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah that is pretty.. Never seen a D-26. Very cool. Agreed it is definitely the place to have a dent and should be pretty easy to fix. Enjoy and congrats!!!

beecee

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the damage, but the D26 I owned was by far the best D25 I've ever played, and gave up very little to the rest of the herd despite being less than 1/5 of the price of a few of them. I would get it fixed and enjoy it. GREAT guitars, and pretty, too. Here's mine, last seen with TexasDave. It had a superb top, and I loved the unstained hog sides and back.

9394181985_cd34250068_b.jpg

+1 on that top!

Spent over a hour playing/examining last night. Strings are deader than dead but the body just hums forever. Couple of lacquer cracks but you have to look at them at the right angle. Really looks like it spent a lot of time in the missing case!

As time went on it hit me, this D-26 reminds me of the D-70. Perhaps it's the Westerly Dred DNA I'm not all that familiar with or as Sandy says this really punches above it's weight. Either way...me happy.

I prefer light strings but I'm going to put some mediums on this and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it had been set up for heavier strings that are on it now as the action feels like a Strat. No buzzing but boy those strings are super close on the first few frets!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I prefer light strings but I'm going to put some mediums on this and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it had been set up for heavier strings that are on it now as the action feels like a Strat. No buzzing but boy those strings are super close on the first few frets!
If there's actually heavys on there now I think it'll actually sound better with mediums**, BUT:
I'm pretty sure it was built for lights (Guild L350= D'A EJ-16 with an .025 instead of an .024 G), if that's relevant to you.
By the '97 Guild Gallery is was spelled out that all dreads shipped with L350's except Deco, Finesse, and Valencia got M450 mediums, but those 3 got floating X bracing.
Setup was supposed to be 5.5-6/64" at 12th fret on bass and 4.5-5/64ths on treble.
All of mine came out of the box that way, and action at first 3 frets was magnificent as well.

**Putting heavier strings on a top than it was designed for can actually be counterproductive, by choking it off with too much tension for it to vibrate at its optimum.
It's not an exact number, there's a "range", but the first thing the master luthier does when designing a guitar is decide what the string tension's gonna be, and the top and bracing are then designed to resonate at their peak in that range of tension.
So lights can actually sound better and even louder than mediums.
There's also a school of us that believe using lights on guitars designed for 'em can't help but prolong the life of a neck-set.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
oh yes, unstained is the way to go.

Ralph

beecee

Reaction score
Boy I would have bet money on this guitar calling for mediums.

Glad to hear lights....I bought a bunch a while back.

Just gotta scrape the crud off them when I open the package.
Thanks Al

Br1ck

Reaction score
That repair should be a cakewalk for any decent tech. Just look at some of the brutal damage repaired on Frets.com. The structural repair is easy. Finish work more of an art.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That repair should be a cakewalk for any decent tech. Just look at some of the brutal damage repaired on Frets.com. The structural repair is easy. Finish work more of an art.

Or ya might just slam a LTG-sticker over it . . .

btw - is there such thing somewhere ?