NGD M20...and patience being tested

Gabby84

Reaction score
So, I ordered an M20 today, delivered at lunchtime. 7 hours later, it is out of the outside box.

Now in the guild box, which is room temperature. However, the warning to wait 24hours to open and inspect the guitar when shipped during winter time is taunting me.

I cannot wait to open this, for now, enjoy the photos of the box. :)

Once I figure out how to post...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Photos have to be hosted elsewhere for financial and legal reasons. I use imgur.
Welcome to the forum!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So, I ordered an M20 today, delivered at lunchtime. 7 hours later, it is out of the outside box.

Now in the guild box, which is room temperature. However, the warning to wait 24hours to open and inspect the guitar when shipped during winter time is taunting me.

I cannot wait to open this, for now, enjoy the photos of the box. :)

Once I figure out how to post...

Welcome Gabby.
The 24 hour acclimatization is intended to eliminate potential finish checking of gloss NCL on guitars.
NitroCellulose Lacquer is susceptible to cracking from temperature shock, just like glass.
M20's are catalyzed varnish finish, not NCL.
Suspect you don't need to wait.
But let us know, eh?
:biggrin-new:

Gabby84

Reaction score
Thank you! I was not aware that the wait was about the finish. I used to play viola and was afraid the wood would warp.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Gabby! I look forward to pictures when you are able and congrats on a great little box.. I am an Oxnard Guild owner as of December and I am truly digging mine..

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, I ordered an M20 today, delivered at lunchtime....

Welcome to the boards, Gabby. How did you swing such a fast delivery? I guess you ordered it locally, and they delivered it immediately? That's some excellent service!

I'm skeptical that you've got to wait the full 24 hours. It's any quick change of temperature or humidity that guitars want to avoid. Your new M20 ought to be ready to be revealed! We'll all be interested in how you like it and, of course, photos. :tiger:

Gabby84

Reaction score
commas are important...my bad! I ordered the M20 on Friday, Jan. 11th. It was delivered yesterday at lunch time. 5 days of travel from Mississippi to Massachusetts.

Before work, I took it out of the Guild box. Left it in the case and, admittedly, lifted the lid half an inch. Now,the guitar is in its case and hanging around until I get home from work tonight. That puts me over 24 hours and man...what a tough wait.

I am likely being overly cautious, but this is the first USA made guitar I have ever purchased and the first to cost over $1000.00.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always advise to wait. At a minimum, the latches on the HSC should not be cold to the touch...

In any case, welcome aboard, Gabby84, and of course wishing you a great NGD!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am likely being overly cautious, but this is the first USA made guitar I have ever purchased and the first to cost over $1000.00.
You probably realize I was teasing slightly by telling you to let us know how it went, implying you're the experimental test case, but I'm pretty darn sure the varnish is a tougher animal than NCL.
"Catalyzed" means once the hardening (curing)reaction is complete, it's forever, like epoxy.
Takes extreme conditions to break it down. (Extreme enough to destroy the guitar along with the finish).
I've even wondered if it might be a "poly" finish but haven't seen Guild admit it outright, and that could be because there are purists who are prejudiced against poly on guitars. (I admit that given a choice I prefer NCL)
Poly finishes are catalyzed but "varnish" is a generic term that covers a broad range of formulae so I'm not jumping to any conclusions.
In any case you certainly can't go wrong erring on the side of caution and as all of mine were bought new and my D25 was also my first really good and US-built guitar, I get it.
It listed at $1249.00 new, and even though I got a scream of a deal on it at like $700.00, that's probably pretty darn close to what you just did in inflation-adjusted dollars.
Congrats!
Oh yes, warping?
Comes from too much humidity, the wood will swell from it.
Solid wood guitars'll absorb and release their humidity over a period of days to weeks as they adjust to the ambient relative humidity.
Ideal range is 45-55%.
Too dry for too long and you risk cracks along grain lines as the wood shrinks.
So I know those come with the Humidi-cases and depending on where you live that's a valuable feature.
Some folks are surprised to learn that the coldest air is the driest, and in winter, heating systems also lower humidity.
SO, that'll help ya get started on the proper care and feeding of a good all-solid wood guitar.
:tranquillity:

Last edited:

Gabby84

Reaction score
thanks adorshki! I am learning a ton of stuff about guitar construction and care by you and others that share their knowledge.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Warning - Slight veer

Some folks are surprised to learn that the coldest air is the driest, and in winter, heating systems also lower humidity.
Al - be careful or you get someone all worked up over the difference between relative humidity (the usual listed value) and the actual humidity (for the scientists).

Please return now to your regularly scheduled program :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Warning - Slight veer

Al - be careful or you get someone all worked up over the difference between relative humidity (the usual listed value) and the actual humidity (for the scientists).
Please return now to your regularly scheduled program :)

OK fair enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_humidity

:tranquillity: