Doyle Dykes is still out there...

merlin6666

Reaction score
He used to be "our" treasure, schoffed from Taylor, then it went all down the drain with the demise of Fender ownership.

Just stumbled upon this, its current, I thought he was an Olson guy but at this juncture I guess not.

I enjoyed the hell out of this!

https://acousticlife.tv/doyle-dykes/

Yes, he has been with Godin for a while now, and last year they launched his signature model. Though I was not aware that they also had a 12 string. Unfortunately this example sounds terrible, particularly compared to when he played classical gas on his signature Guild a few years ago at NAMM. Would be interesting to post the videos side by side if someone can dig it up.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Doyle is just superb, thanks for posting, Bill!

I got to see him years ago at a Taylor presentation, he did a whole concert locally at a small venue.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Doyle is a beast! I went down a DD YouTube rabbit hole about a year ago and I am constantly amazed at the man’s chops.. he is one of those guitar players that I find both inspiring and discouraging at the same time.. it really doesn’t matter what guitar you put in his hands.. he could make a $100 guitar center Mitchell acoustic sound amazing.. I like that he seems likes cool cat too.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Let's see, signature models with Taylor, Guild and now Godin. I know he played them, but I don't think Olson made a signature Dykes guitar, did they?

He sure has a lot of signature guitars from different manufacturers! More than anyone else I can think of...

walrus

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Doyle will be playing at GHS strings booth at NAMM in addition to whatever other gigs he has there.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Some of the videos including the one with Olson has a Baggs promo label attached. So chances are he is endorsing those PUs as well. I guess those deals give him a nice steady income and less dependence on stressful touring.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
He paid full price for the Olson.. he is not endorsed by Olson. I don’t think anybody is. It is my understanding that Olson cranks out a fairly small quantity annually.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Some of the videos including the one with Olson has a Baggs promo label attached. So chances are he is endorsing those PUs as well. I guess those deals give him a nice steady income and less dependence on stressful touring.

Both Doyle's Guild Models and the Godin utilize Baggs preamps/electronics

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Godin is coming out with a line of acoustics too this year at NAMM. they look nice too.

merlin6666

Reaction score
He is at NAMM:

FRI
1:00 PM

15 Minutes

Booth Event
Doyle Dykes - String Demo

International Artist and Clinician, Doyle Dykes, demos his signature Acoustic Guitar strings

PittPastor

Reaction score
Godin is coming out with a line of acoustics too this year at NAMM. they look nice too.

They are an interesting company. A few years ago, I was determined to buy a Godin, but I could never find one I really liked. (and what is it with companies selling $1000K+ guitars and shipping them out with a gig bag instead of a case?) And yes, Doyle can make any guitar sound good, but even his Godins sound thin and clangy to me. And it's not just a Guild fanboy thing either. He sounds great on the Gretsch, Olson, and Taylor... but the Godin doesn't seem to hold up to his fingerpicking style. I haven't heard his latest stuff though. Maybe the new signature model nails it...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They are an interesting company. A few years ago, I was determined to buy a Godin, but I could never find one I really liked. (and what is it with companies selling $1000K+ guitars and shipping them out with a gig bag instead of a case?) And yes, Doyle can make any guitar sound good, but even his Godins sound thin and clangy to me. And it's not just a Guild fanboy thing either. He sounds great on the Gretsch, Olson, and Taylor... but the Godin doesn't seem to hold up to his fingerpicking style. I haven't heard his latest stuff though. Maybe the new signature model nails it...

I am sure the Godin move was a money play. I get that. Not judging just saying...totally ok, and I know they were happy to have him. And he might also just really like the company and the people. I know he had a real close relationship with Guild, though I am sure having Ren there helped.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I am sure the Godin move was a money play. I get that. Not judging just saying...totally ok, and I know they were happy to have him. And he might also just really like the company and the people. I know he had a real close relationship with Guild, though I am sure having Ren there helped.

Completely agree. It can't be easy making a living in that space. And there is nothing wrong with Godin. I get the sense that they really pursued him which must have felt pretty good considering how things ended at Guild. Good to see him still out there. He's a heck of a player. Not C.G.P. -- but I think if he had spent more time with C.A. he might have been awarded that.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'd love to mess around with a Godin MultiAc Nylon string guitar some time!

I actually bought a Godin Montreal archtop a few years ago, but never brought it home. Had it delivered to my local GC and used the return policy leave it at the store. Seemed a bit "cheap" for the price, particularly the headstock and tuners.

walrus