Short instrumental on the Br, fresh John Pearse PB lights...

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Wood. You and your BR sound wonderful. Very tasteful stuff and I appreciate you sharing it with all of us. NICELY DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK to be honest I'm not gonna be able to listen to that until later, but what I really want to know is: what'd you put on after you did that?

LOL Al. You, old friend, know me too well. I got a pack of D'A EJ16s ready to go, but am hoping I wait at least a few more days ...

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone. Geo, I use my Iphone 7, upload to youtube, then download the mp4 into Camtasia, where I boost the volume to the point just before it breaks up. This is my SOP, but one day hope for a better "process" :)

Antney

Reaction score
Nice tune Woodrow. The strings are super mellow, sweet tone. Is that standard tuning?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice tune Woodrow. The strings are super mellow, sweet tone. Is that standard tuning?

thanks Antney, capo 2 but yes, standard. so really i am in key of A. super simple G shapes etc...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone. Geo, I use my Iphone 7, upload to youtube, then download the mp4 into Camtasia, where I boost the volume to the point just before it breaks up. This is my SOP, but one day hope for a better "process" :)
I was looking for that thread where you explained that before because I was sure that's why he asked.
I LOVE that sound.
"Whatever works", but yeah I get it that it'd be nice to maybe be able to streamline the process.
Here's some insight:
Stanley Kubrick used old outdated equipment well into the '80's because all the new-fangled supposedly better resolution cameras and equipment couldn't give him what he wanted.
He had a major hurdle just moving to color, and if you look at the image quality of stuff like "Paths of Glory" in B&W you'll get what I mean.
And look at richness of the photography in "2001" and "Clockwork Orange" and "Full Metal Jacket" compared to stuff being released currently.
Newer is not always better.
In fact it almost never is, these days, it seems.
Seems quality keeps getting lowered in the name of convenience and portability when it comes to equipment
Thus the "back-to-analog" revolt in the recorded music biz.
I'm truly amazed at how good that sounds for purely digital technololgy.
Still suspect it's that "boost to the point of breakup" step, but again, whatever works, love it!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was looking for that thread where you explained that before because I was sure that's why he asked.
I LOVE that sound.
"Whatever works", but yeah I get it that it'd be nice to maybe be able to streamline the process.
Here's some insight:
Stanley Kubrick used old outdated equipment well into the '80's because all the new-fangled supposedly better resolution cameras and equipment couldn't give him what he wanted.
He had a major hurdle just moving to color, and if you look at the image quality of stuff like "Paths of Glory" in B&W you'll get what I mean.
And look at richness of the photography in "2001" and "Clockwork Orange" and "Full Metal Jacket" compared to stuff being released currently.
Newer is not always better.
In fact it almost never is, these days, it seems.
Seems quality keeps getting lowered in the name of convenience and portability when it comes to equipment
Thus the "back-to-analog" revolt in the recorded music biz.
I'm truly amazed at how good that sounds for purely digital technololgy.
Still suspect it's that "boost to the point of breakup" step, but again, whatever works, love it!

i think that step makes the Br sound larger, which I like, as it just will never sound like a D50 etc or even a D25 arched cause of the hog top. if my fingers could handle medium strings, i would do it, but i prove over and over i am a .12-.53 dude. which is ok Al as i subscribe to your idea that light gauge actually allows the top to move differently, where mediums can often choke to top. i have proved that theory too.

the "boost" totally shoves the sound into your face better as well, so it sounds like i am in some back room with the mic inside the soundhole.

what i one day hope to move to is a dynamic mic that pics up the Br incredible well, and then plug into some machine that has that "analog" feel but can then download to a pc etc. so i no longer need Camtasia. Cause I sort of feel like camtasia is a cheat. maybe a little. not like i feel unethical or anything but still, how do i capture as best i can the Br's pure sound and keep it intimate yet big.

Grassdog

Reaction score
i think that step makes the Br sound larger, which I like, as it just will never sound like a D50 etc or even a D25 arched cause of the hog top. if my fingers could handle medium strings, i would do it, but i prove over and over i am a .12-.53 dude. which is ok Al as i subscribe to your idea that light gauge actually allows the top to move differently, where mediums can often choke to top. i have proved that theory too.

the "boost" totally shoves the sound into your face better as well, so it sounds like i am in some back room with the mic inside the soundhole.

what i one day hope to move to is a dynamic mic that pics up the Br incredible well, and then plug into some machine that has that "analog" feel but can then download to a pc etc. so i no longer need Camtasia. Cause I sort of feel like camtasia is a cheat. maybe a little. not like i feel unethical or anything but still, how do i capture as best i can the Br's pure sound and keep it intimate yet big.

I think the "boost" feature is just a compressor/limiter. The performance is great WW. On my archback D25, I go back and forth between the D-Addario EJ-16's and the John Pearse PB lights. Both do a great job.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the "boost" feature is just a compressor/limiter. The performance is great WW. On my archback D25, I go back and forth between the D-Addario EJ-16's and the John Pearse PB lights. Both do a great job.

hey grassdog, totally. they are great strings and to me, i find the D'As a bit looser and the JPs stiffer, finger pads hurt a bit more after, but both are excellent PB strings.

thanks for kind words man.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow missed this I did . Have to say that's the best playing I heard from you , not trying to be rude in anyway I probably missed a lot anyway sounded great !! 😊

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow missed this I did . Have to say that's the best playing I heard from you , not trying to be rude in anyway I probably missed a lot anyway sounded great !! ��

thanks Ray!