Shocking Depth Details!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So after a rough day burying my nephew and all that, then I came home and saw the two dreads lined up in the bedroom and I was like WTF?? I always thought they were 1994 dreads out of the same mold and except for the arched back on the maple one I figured they were pretty much identical. Nope. Here's the photo I had to take and......

JN3xci.jpg

So then I had to measure. The maple looked so much thicker than the rosewood!! So getting out my trusty tape, I find that:

Maple D65S: Upper bout depth is 4 1/8", lower bout is 5". Body length is 19 3/4".

Rosewood DV72: Upper bout 4". Lower bout 4 7/8". Body length is 20".

Who KNEW?? I basically thought same guitar with different woods and arched vs. flat backs. Didn't know until I was walking in and looked at this scene and thought, "Oh wait!!"

Just some more details, amigos y amigas!!

Tomas :encouragement:

p.s. - please realize that the rosewood is a whole guitar length closer to the camera. This is not a scientific study.
Void where prohibited by law and in the state of Virginia...... ;-P

beecee

Reaction score
p.s. - please realize that the rosewood is a whole guitar length closer to the camera. This is not a scientific study.
Void where prohibited by law and in the state of Virginia...... ;-P

Makes sense...I was surprised to see there was only an 1/8 of an inch diff.

Condolences on your nephew

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Geez Tom sorry about your nephew man...

So is it a common thing for body depths to be inconsistent with older Guild models? In truth I have never measured any of my body depths?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, my sympathies.

It is strange how such a small amount of width can "look" like so much, and in fact sometimes also feel like so much when playing two different guitars.

walrus

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Some sadnesses are more difficult to put in the dungeons of your memory bank. May a new happiness enter your life. Thoughts and blessings your way.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, my sympathies.

It is strange how such a small amount of width can "look" like so much, and in fact sometimes also feel like so much when playing two different guitars.

walrus

Had the difference been other way round, it may well had been unnoticed - dark colours make things appear slimmer.

Antney

Reaction score
Tom, very sorry to hear about the passing of your nephew. I hope healing comes quickly to you and your family and that good memories replace all that the
loss has left behind.

Clearly you have two factory seconds on those stands. I can only imagine the ergonomic pain and suffering your back and shoulders endure as you switch from guitar to guitar with the 1/8” difference. I feel for you, really I do. That’s why I’m willing to take them off your hand for $50 each, so you can once again make beautiful music without worrying about the “shocking” difference in those bouts.

Seriously though, I believe all guitars are slightly different due to the science behind wood, weather, and age. Play on amigo

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all for the kind words. This is a tough one. One year younger than me at 64 and just died suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was buried with full military honors and a list of medals and citations to his credit. Mostly he was just a super nice guy who was always fun to be around. He was an amazing husband and great father to his two children. I'm struggling a bit with the loss. Here's Lawrence Gordon a short while back during happier times with his wife, our niece Julia.

nw1mVI.jpg

Sorry for the veer. This is depth of a different sort......

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had the difference been other way round, it may well had been unnoticed - dark colours make things appear slimmer.
I thought of that after the fact. Glad you mentioned it, Nuuska! I should probably rephotograph them. Maybe later today. :encouragement:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

What I meant was - if the Rosewood had been thicker than Maple - then it might have been unnoticed - so ya can't take THAT picture without shaving the Maple by 1/4 . . .

As for death of your nephew - since majority of us at LTG - ( my assumption - not a known fact ) - are closer to worms mouth than crib - I'm 67 years young - I dare to say that a quick death, even as surprising as it is, is far more merciful than months or years spent with slow decease that you all know is going to grab you sooner or later - meanwhile you suffer.

So - if it is of any condolence - he did not suffer - and he had good life - memories will carry on you and his family and his friends - he will not be forgotten by those who loved him.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Nuuska. There's so many words at times like this. Apparently there are even words against death. But the shock will take a bit, but I'm in total agreement. If you're gonna go, then go and be done with it.

I've already made all the (unintentional) modifications to the maple guitar i'm gonna make, LOL!! I might take another photo, though. If I do it right usually no one gets hurt.... :witless:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow brother , no words . Stay strong .

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all for the kind words. This is a tough one. One year younger than me at 64 and just died suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was buried with full military honors and a list of medals and citations to his credit. Mostly he was just a super nice guy who was always fun to be around. He was an amazing husband and great father to his two children. I'm struggling a bit with the loss. Here's Lawrence Gordon a short while back during happier times with his wife, our niece Julia.

nw1mVI.jpg

Sorry for the veer. This is depth of a different sort......

He looks like a super nice guy Tom! Thanks for sharing man..

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This really turned into a different post from what I was trying to do. It's rough, I'm fine.

But what about the DEPTH?? Maybe Dave (Guard Man) can come and chime in on some facts about this and get this back on track.....

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
This really turned into a different post from what I was trying to do. It's rough, I'm fine.

But what about the DEPTH?? Maybe Dave (Guard Man) can come and chime in on some facts about this and get this back on track.....

I'll measure mine if you'll measure yours?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
frono, I think that might be another veer, not a way to get things back on track...

walrus

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My D-64 - 5 " depth.

My F-30RCE - upper bout - 3.75", lower bout - 4.25".

And let me tell you that for me personally, these "small" differences are HUGE as far as comfort goes...

walrus

Last edited: