Jimmy Smith Live

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Here's organ grinder swing, live in Paris with Eddie McFadden on a Guild. Youtube says 1969, but it's more likely 1959.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Enjoyed that! I like at the 1 minute mark you can see Smith's left foot on the bass pedals - he's really rockin'. And McFadden sounds great!

walrus

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jimmy Smith is tops in my book. That’s my kind of power trio! Thanks for posting a classic.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
50 years ago, when I was spending more time with my flute than guitar, I spent hours playing along with the albums he did with Wes. Still among my favorite recordings.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

That Premier drum set looks like it is post-67 - they changed the lugs from roundish to edgier - and Flushbase stands made way to LockFast stands - naturally I could be wrong, while the picture is not that sharp. Another thing that gives it are bass drum spurs - they used to be shorter and located lower in the body. 1967 they were moved higher and made longer. That is clearly visible in this YouTube video.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jimmy Smith. One of the keyboardists that I tried to emulate. Copied a lot of his riffs. He's the 12-bar blues best!