George Harrison and Brian May (Guild)

F312

Reaction score
"Long And Winding Road" was right down there with "Hey Jude" for me:
Gag me with a spoon.
I know what you mean about "Something" though, as a die hard rocker I didn't really appreciate it until I got a Harrison songbook around '80 or so and discovered it was another one of those songs with not just great but magnificent bones.
May I suggest thinking of the Mrs. while you take a stab at it acoustically, y'might be surprised.
:friendly_wink:

My fav to strum.

Ralph

Stephen

Reaction score
Ah, your first post did not specify only this particular time in George's career. I agree with your second post. But he definitely played ukulele more than anything during the later years. Ukulele is very prominent on a few songs from "Brainwashed", too.

walrus

Ah, well I posted with the assumption that it would be read in the context of the OP -- that is, the era in which the pic was taken. I should have been more specific. And similarly, I was addressing George's preference in electric guitars. Every George fan knows he was a uke fanatic.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, well I posted with the assumption that it would be read in the context of the OP -- that is, the era in which the pic was taken. I should have been more specific. And similarly, I was addressing George's preference in electric guitars. Every George fan knows he was a uke fanatic.

BTW, speaking of the OP's photo, I feel as you do that it would be great to know more about it. What was going on? Is there any audio? Based on the photo it's not even clear they were actually playing a song. I would love to know more about that event!

And the uke stuff was more for other LTG members. Not many "casual" George fans know about that, and it's pretty cool.

walrus

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have never seen that video...great! But questions: Is George's wife Patti Boyd here? Is Ringo's wife Maureen here?

Years ago, I was given Patti Boyd's book as a Christmas gift...I couldn't read it, sounded like a 12-year-old had written it :numbness: I don't blame
Patti, that's what she had a co-writer and editor for. They failed her miserably.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have never seen that video...great! But questions: Is George's wife Patti Boyd here? Is Ringo's wife Maureen here?
Not sure I understand the question?
Sure looks like both of 'em in the vid to me:
e97916230270d1bee6bc397f67977e8b.jpg

(Granted Maureen's gone blonde with heavy eye-shadow in the video)

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As a HUGE George fan I would be interested to know more about this performance.
What was going on? Is there any audio? Based on the photo it's not even clear they were actually playing a song. I would love to know more about that event!
That is indeed an interesting story! It was a concert at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, UK on November 29, 1992 for the occation of the annual Water Rats Ball. It was a black-tie charity event, in honour of veteran Brit guitarist Bert Weedon, featured George Harrison alongside an all-star line-up including Brian May, Joe Brown, Bruce Welch, The Bachelors and Lonnie Donegan.

The "Grand Order of Water Rats" originated in 1889 and is a semi-secret charity organisation populated by entertainers. They use their celebrity to raise money for a variety of good causes and go about it with some "quirky" methods and rituals.

By the way, it was George Harrison's last ever UK show! (GAD already mentioned it)

1992-11-xxa.jpg
1992-11-xxb.jpg
1992-11-xxc.jpg

There is no video of the concert (remember: "semi-secret") but if you want to know more about the Grand Order of Water Rats watch this interesting video:

Regarding the original picture what you cannot see there he was sitting on a Marshall amp:

george-harrison-attends-the-water-rats-ball-held-at-the-grosvenor-picture-id78087566

31c149019e8cb58134fa7fd0fd9c979c.jpg
74628add863764e79f379252c5732f45.jpg

Anything else I can help you with? :eek:nthego:

Ralf

Last edited:

Stephen

Reaction score

I just discovered this 2015 Bryan Adams song yesterday. Only a few measures in I thought, "This has all the sonic imprints of Jeff Lynne." Turns out he did produce it (and the album it comes from). Whoever is playing slide guitar on this track is doing his very best (and succeeding) to mimic George's style. George frequently accepted tracks from other musicians -- Belinda Carlisle, Jim Capaldi, Rubyhorse -- and would add slide guitar overdubs. Or maybeit was George, maybe he's got a studio in whatever afterlife dimension he's inhabiting.

Last edited:

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
As well as being a successful guitarist, Bert Weedon was famous in the UK for his "Play in a Day" guitar tutor book. He passed away in 2012 at the age of 91. He was still playing right up to the end. His drummer towards the later part of his career was Jim Marshall, of Marshall amp' fame, who passed away only a few days before him.
That is indeed an interesting story! It was a concert at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, UK on November 29, 1992 for the occation of the annual Water Rats Ball. It was a black-tie charity event, in honour of veteran Brit guitarist Bert Weedon, featured George Harrison alongside an all-star line-up including Brian May, Joe Brown, Bruce Welch, The Bachelors and Lonnie Donegan.

The "Grand Order of Water Rats" originated in 1889 and is a semi-secret charity organisation populated by entertainers. They use their celebrity to raise money for a variety of good causes and go about it with some "quirky" methods and rituals.

By the way, it was George Harrison's last ever UK show! (GAD already mentioned it)

1992-11-xxa.jpg
1992-11-xxb.jpg
1992-11-xxc.jpg

There is no video of the concert (remember: "semi-secret") but if you want to know more about the Grand Order of Water Rats watch this interesting video:

Regarding the original picture what you cannot see there he was sitting on a Marshall amp:

george-harrison-attends-the-water-rats-ball-held-at-the-grosvenor-picture-id78087566

31c149019e8cb58134fa7fd0fd9c979c.jpg
74628add863764e79f379252c5732f45.jpg

Anything else I can help you with? :eek:nthego:

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As well as being a successful guitarist, Bert Weedon was famous in the UK for his "Play in a Day" guitar tutor book.
And he had a signature Guild guitar! He played a Starfire III initially and the UK distributor ordered a special fully hollow version of the Starfire V as Bert Weedon model. That version was only sold in the UK in small quantities as Hans had previously explained.

hqdefault.jpg

Bert%20Weedon-ETYDNHVXKF.jpg
front_632.jpg

O.k., that was a nice veer from Brian May and George Harrison to Bert Weedon....

Ralf

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ralf! Great stuff!

And if anyone is interested in George's music (vs. his "life story" so to speak) I highly recommend "While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music of George Harrison" by Simon Leng:

https://www.amazon.com/While-My-Guitar-Gently-Weeps/dp/1423406095

As Stephen pointed out, he played on many tracks, his slide guitar work in particular - he would record over a track at his home studio. Here's one of the more obscure (but great) tracks he played on - in this case in person in the studio - Cheech and Chong's "Basketball Jones". The first minute in particular is just George on guitar, then you can hear him playing riffs throughout the song:

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...and since this thread is great place to put it, we should post George's last recorded song, "Horse to Water". Great song, outstanding and typical George "commentary on society" lyrics!

From the usual source:

""Horse to the Water" is a song written by George Harrison and his son Dhani. It was originally performed by Jools Holland's Rhythm and Blues Orchestra, featuring Harrison, on the album Small World, Big Band (also known as Jools Holland's Rhythm and Blues Orchestra).[SUP][1][/SUP] Recorded on 2 October 2001,[SUP][1][/SUP] the song is Harrison's last performance on a record.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Harrison only performed vocals on the track, as he was too weak from battling cancer to play guitar,[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] and he died just over eight weeks later on 29 November. He listed the song's publisher as "R.I.P Music Ltd" instead of his usual music company Harrisongs, which Holland said showed "Harrison's dark sense of humour."[SUP][2]

[/SUP]

walrus