Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GAD40 Dilemma

GAD40 Dilemma

Okay so I am at Zoo music Garland, TX this afternoon and they have a beautiful GAD40.. Sounds great.. Only issue, and I failed to get a picture, is there is a small crack along the center of the ebony bridge.
    Duane the manager, who is a pretty cool guy, tells me that is was brought in by a cop and that the crack has been there for like 7 years so it is holding..

Now Duane is asking $225 for the guitar and it has solid paduk ( sp ) back and sides, ebony fretboard / bridge and a built in pick up.. Other than the bridge it is in great shape. Top is clean.

The dilemma is that I have never dealt with a cracked bridge and wouldn't know what kind of cost I would be looking at if it needed to be a addressed..

Any thoughts on this? The price seems to be right. The guitar sounds amazing and for that price I can deal with the 1 3/4 nut width. Especially as I would see this as a campfire guitar.. But I want a campfire guitar that isn't going to cost me a ton in repairs..

As always this joint is loaded with knowledge, experience and intellect.. Appreciate in advance any wisdom...
    Extended Family:
    '18 Guild F55 Jumbo ( Oxnard )
    '88 Guild GF30 SBX ( Westerly )
    '78 Guild D35 SB ( Westerly )
    '77 Guild S300 Natural ( Westerly )
    '19 Eastman E6D Sunburst ( MIC )
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp

Quick correction it was a GAD F40.
    Extended Family:
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

At that price, I'd say buy it. The bridge is probably stable and you won't have to do anything with it. Just my $.02
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    At that price, I'd say buy it. The bridge is probably stable and you won't have to do anything with it. Just my $.02
    Thanks Dreadnut! I might do just that sir..
    Extended Family:

If you like the way it plays and sounds, I don't see how you can go wrong at that price
    '88 GF-30
    '78 F-212XL
    '83 D-25 SB
    '17 F-1512E
    '97 JF-55
    '80 G-37 SB ANT
    '03 F-412
    '59 Gibson Southern Jumbo
    '64 Gibson Country Western
    '02 Gibson J-100
    '11 Gibson Southern Jumbo (Woody Guthrie LE)
    '05 Blueridge BR-160
    Fender Telecaster - '52 Reissue

I had the same guitar a few years back. I’ve kicked myself a few times for selling it. If I could get one for that price, I’d grab it up in a heartbeat. (Even if it had worse issues)

Well it seems pretty clear..

GD - Agreed.

Okie - Thanks for the encouragement. It is a player.. In a recent thread we were discussing the greatness of the early GAD series and it is true. They were just hard to beat.. It was like they had their own set of appointments and nuances that made them unique and you wont find these attributes on the later GAD and Westerly series guits.
    Extended Family:

That's a price I couldn't pass up. Even if you had to have the bridge replaced I think you'd come out ok. I've successfully repaired cracked bridges, but they have to be removed to do it properly. Don't try gluing the crack without removing it.

D-Man,

Both of those "issues" are easily remedied.

You are welcome to try out my A-25 which has a new bridge and is no longer a 1 3/4" nutted neck. The Harmony classical H173 which got the neck reshaped to 1 11/16" as well is down at the Beto Unit Prison ministry or you could have tried it, too.

Do it if it sounds good.
    - besides before buying more guitars I should learn to play better . . . Nuuska
    -I don't play because I'm good, just because i like it.Tom in Vegas

1958 CE-100 Capri
    1966 F-20
    1988 D15
    1996 F4CE Sick puppy
    1996 A25
    Several assorted DeArmonds
    The odd Epi
    A Dorado resonator

Quote Originally Posted by D30Man View Post
    Okay so I am at Zoo music Garland, TX this afternoon and they have a beautiful GAD40.. Sounds great.. Only issue, and I failed to get a picture, is there is a small crack along the center of the ebony bridge.
    Duane the manager, who is a pretty cool guy, tells me that is was brought in by a cop and that the crack has been there for like 7 years so it is holding..

Now Duane is asking $225 for the guitar and it has solid paduk ( sp ) back and sides, ebony fretboard / bridge and a built in pick up.. Other than the bridge it is in great shape. Top is clean.

The dilemma is that I have never dealt with a cracked bridge and wouldn't know what kind of cost I would be looking at if it needed to be a addressed..

Any thoughts on this? The price seems to be right. The guitar sounds amazing and for that price I can deal with the 1 3/4 nut width. Especially as I would see this as a campfire guitar.. But I want a campfire guitar that isn't going to cost me a ton in repairs..

As always this joint is loaded with knowledge, experience and intellect.. Appreciate in advance any wisdom...
    My guy charges $75 to $100 to cut and install a new bridge.. Not a show stopper in my mind if you like the tone and feel of the guitar.
    '18 D 40T Cust. X 2
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '98 D 60
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '13 DD6 MCE
    '10 F 40 GSR Coco.
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '74 D 55-12
    '65 F 312